Radders Bending Advice Needed

Sam Radford

1/4" x 7" CRS Double Overhand Bend

6.5mm x 6" CRS Double Overhand Bend

Bent using DH suede wraps with rubber bands and chalk. I have some IM wraps but not used them yet as they are really stiff and crease when rolled up. I use a workbench vice to hold the end of the wrap whilst I roll it up to ensure it is tight. What can I do to prevent this or do I have to use them like this and eventually they will season and soften up?

Any advice on the technique?

During this session I bent 5 bars (3x 1/4" and 2x 6.5mm) shall I keep on bending 1/4" and 6.5mm bars or shall I go larger (7mm and 7.5mm) but keep the length at 7"?

• Like 1

Do you have any specific bending goals?

• Like 1

That guy, EJ Livesey, and Josh W as well both talked about this, and had some very valuable information. What are your goals? They said that if a person wants to work up to bending say, a Red nail, then stick with the 7" length, and just get larger diameter stock. I am totally new to bending, so i don't know a thing. But you are definitely in the right place to find answers! Great bends, man.

• Like 1

Ultimate bending goals would be to bend a Red Nail and a Bastard

That guy, EJ Livesey, and Josh W as well both talked about this, and had some very valuable information. What are your goals? They said that if a person wants to work up to bending say, a Red nail, then stick with the 7" length, and just get larger diameter stock. I am totally new to bending, so i don't know a thing. But you are definitely in the right place to find answers! Great bends, man.

Yes I've read previous posts about beginners and advice given about training plans and bar types but in the UK find it hard to get Drill Rod so CRS is the preferred choice until I can get some Irongrip or FBBC steel. I don't mind buying additional 1/4" steel and building up a good base strength by bending these but I didn't know if I would be better suited to a larger diameter first?

• Like 1

When it comes to bending goals I don't see anything wrong with at first not having any and just wanting to have some fun bending stuff.

In time you might want to pick something to work toward. Also Ironminds and the Rednail isn't the end all of bending, you have Irongrip, World of Grip, and FBBC which all have different certs and goals to work toward.

Personally for myself my bending is on hold at the moment but when I step back to it, I'm not really interested in a Rednail cert so I don't plan on working in single IMP's.

• Like 2

When it comes to bending goals I don't see anything wrong with at first not having any and just wanting to have some fun bending stuff.

In time you might want to pick something to work toward. Also Ironminds and the Rednail isn't the end all of bending, you have Irongrip, World of Grip, and FBBC which all have different certs and goals to work toward.

Personally for myself my bending is on hold at the moment but when I step back to it, I'm not really interested in a Rednail cert so I don't plan on working in single IMP's.

This pretty much lines up with how I feel.

Ultimate bending goals would be to bend a Red Nail and a Bastard

Yes I've read previous posts about beginners and advice given about training plans and bar types but in the UK find it hard to get Drill Rod so CRS is the preferred choice until I can get some Irongrip or FBBC steel. I don't mind buying additional 1/4" steel and building up a good base strength by bending these but I didn't know if I would be better suited to a larger diameter first?

To save money, I am using the same diameter, but cutting it a little shorter to increase the difficulty. I am using CRS as well because it is affordable and easy to obtain.

• Like 1

Ditch the DH wraps. They are great for reverse but suck as an inside wrap for DO. How do I know you ask? Good question

1182E91D-911F-4AAF-A50E-1079A5CF1347.png

Use the IMPs as much as possible. Rewatch your videos. You will see in the harder bar video you are leaned back when you put force into it. You're losing a lot of power.

Since the 1/4 stuff is so easy find the next step up I think 7mm or do lots of volume with the 1/4". Because 3-4 bars are easy but 8-10 is tough. It will give you mental strength that is 100x more important than physical strength.

As for the wraps, wash and dry a few times with detergent. It will help soften them up.

Edited by EJ Livesey
  • Like 2

I have some IM wraps but not used them yet as they are really stiff and crease when rolled up. I use a workbench vice to hold the end of the wrap whilst I roll it up to ensure it is tight. What can I do to prevent this or do I have to use them like this and eventually they will season and soften up?

Lots of good tips here!

Edited by Jared Goguen
  • Like 3

I'd only get the irongrip stuff to cert but you can get about 30 bars from fbbc for $26 shipping, this being the cheapest.

Stick to 7" stock judging from your goals and the best wraps I've ever used are the benders battlefield wraps, worth getting.

Ditch the DH wraps. They are great for reverse but suck as an inside wrap for DO. How do I know you ask? Good question

Use the IMPs as much as possible. Rewatch your videos. You will see in the harder bar video you are leaned back when you put force into it. You're losing a lot of power.

Since the 1/4 stuff is so easy find the next step up I think 7mm or do lots of volume with the 1/4". Because 3-4 bars are easy but 8-10 is tough. It will give you mental strength that is 100x more important than physical strength.

As for the wraps, wash and dry a few times with detergent. It will help soften them up.

Thanks for the advice EJ, will get to work on them wraps this evening. Will the DH wraps be fine for double wrapping (if required)

Would you recommend volume or strength to build a good base and wrist strength with bending? I've read through posts about training volume but only working on specific range each day, suppose I need to order some 7mm and see how this feels.

I also noticed leaning back during the bend and heavily relied upon my shoulders and arms to do the bend for me. Its a whole body workout that's required!

I'd only get the irongrip stuff to cert but you can get about 30 bars from fbbc for $26 shipping, this being the cheapest.

Stick to 7" stock judging from your goals and the best wraps I've ever used are the benders battlefield wraps, worth getting.

Thanks for the heads up Josh, will definately invest in some FBBC steel and BB wraps, might ask Andrew to send us some over when the King Kong t-shirt is ready to ship.

The Irongrip bars are good to get a feel where you are, strength wise and move forward from there

My iron grip steel is currently at the airport in Moscow I believe :D glad you've started bending pal.

How long has it been there for lol? I need something else alongside grippers to help me improve grip strength and the latest buzz on people on here attempting bending also helps

Passed through customs yesterday according to my tracker so should be here by friday-monday time hopefully :D think the 135kg is doable right now but the 140kg bar took me an hour last time.

• Like 1

Passed through customs yesterday according to my tracker so should be here by friday-monday time hopefully :D think the 135kg is doable right now but the 140kg bar took me an hour last time.

I can't begin to understand what 135kg feels like! I'll have to get some in the future, what's a good starting weight you think?

The 75kg bar is a good beginner bar and your 100kg bar is around the 300lb mark in US ratings. I think if you order 75kg through to around the 120kg bar that will take you through 220-350lbs I think. But like I said, it's expensive so I only buy them for certs :D

Edited by JoshW

The 75kg bar is a good beginner bar and your 100kg bar is around the 300lb mark in US ratings.

I've just ordered some 7mm and 7.5mm CRS bar that I'll cut down to 7" so using the calibration websites I should know approx what level I'm at before ordering some steel

Where did you order from? As I've struggled to find a cheap reliable supplier here.

At work we use Cromwell so I'm able to get round bar at a discount price and use the onsite saw and grinder to cut and finish the edges. They also have square stock too with metric and imperial sizes so you can find inbetween sizes. Its all CRS BS1407:1970 grade steel (don't know if this is good or not)

BS1407:1970

I just searched this. Nothing I read said it was cold rolled. It's a high carbon bright steel. If it was CRS it would have an 'EN' rating since you are in the UK. So I'm thinking it's similar to "key stock" here in the U.S. It's some tough stuff and if not bend correctly it will snap. This type of steel you need to bend slowly. My advice is skip this stuff. The chances of you breaking 6-8mm is slim but I've broken broken this type of steel a few times. Try to find something with an 'EN' rating of 3 or more. That's some good CRS to practice on.

• Like 1

^this

• Like 1

Wish you luck in your bending journey brother. My 2 cents are..... bend in imps for a while, the pain tolerance factor should keep you from getting hurt in the beginning (my opinion of course), and listen to EJ, Tommy, Ben,Mike David and all the other veterans, theyve been there done that.

Wish you luck in your bending journey brother. My 2 cents are..... bend in imps for a while, the pain tolerance factor should keep you from getting hurt in the beginning (my opinion of course), and listen to EJ, Tommy, Ben,Mike David and all the other veterans, theyve been there done that.

Thanks for your input Jose

Last night was spent softening up the hand wraps and now have them pressed into shape