Went For An Edgin And 6" Red In Imps

king crusher

So I just don't bend enough and it sucks. I last bent on dec 21st when I missed the red in one imp and barely wobbled an edgin.

Well today I tried an edgin again and did put a lil wobble in it. The actual shaft can slide a penny under it. It just hurts like heck in imps on the bolt head side!! I tried to find my pieces of leather I cut this summer but couldn't find them. I was gonna try it in doubles. I know I'd get some damage on it then.

My index fingers had huge dents in them from two big hits. All I could stand in just imps. Also my right index has a split in the skin. No blood but stings. Prob doesn't help going into the next bend with.

So then I wrapped up a 6" red and got it to about 88deg. Which funny enough is just shy of what I got the 6" 19/64 bar on dec 21st. I got that to about 90 exactly.

Why do I stick there?!?!?! It's right about as far as you can go doh before having to go to crush. Sucks!

I did let out a swear word on vid just a heads up.

I really need to bend more. I'd probably have had the 6" red if I didn't try edgin first oh well I don't mind failing bends. If like finishing them more though lol.

What do you guys estimate a 6" red rates at?

• Like 2

Thanks man. I figure gotta do stuff that challenges me. That's what makes a guy better. My wrapping still sucks. Always bunching up inside. I gotta watch muds imp video again.

About 9mo. The actual number of bars I've bent is low though. Not counting timber ties Id say about 25 bars only. Total. I have everything still in my garage lol

My technique sucks though Jose. I don't havecthe graceful mechanics like some of the best do. I do enjoy the challenge though. When I do feel like bending

I think if you give it some focus and bend volume to master good technique, youll join the ranks with the best of em. Youre very strong as well as tough. 1 imp stuff sorts out the real benders from others, youve shown you can take it. I think you should give it a go, im in your corner lol

• Like 1

Thanks bud. My failure is losing motivation for things. I'm gonna cut another red to 6" and waste it next time fresh. The edgin in imps in on another level from even the 6" red though. I'm glad I got some wobble but that thing is a monster. It's funny because when I get down on it hard it feels like it's moving but you look down at it and the damn thing looks straight!! Beastly. Barely yields at all

I understand, but youve got a ton of potential, 9 months and 6" reds is boss shit!

Bolts do that, just when you think its movin, its not lol

• Like 1

Yeah they suck haha. With reds and drill rod you know the point it starts moving. Not this edgin. I think it does move but springs back some. Well it's bent now but not enough to really matter lol

• Like 1

Bend more often dude! Ive bent a 350 and a 400lb peice of 6" crs and can only get the just to 90 degrees as I can't find the leverage to finish of a crush them down from there. Maybe you have the same problem with 6" 8mm here mate?

You should try once a week or once every two weeks atleast as you are a natural at bending!

Strong attempt man!

My first time trying a 6" "Red Nail" I stopped at the exact same point you did. My last try got the ends just barely below 3". In between these attempts I've been doing dedicated sessions to just work on the last part of the sweep and the crush.

I recommend dedicating a few sessions to just trying to crush down steel that you haven't finished off yet. I found it helped me get more familiar with applying force in crush-specific positions. I doubt I'm technically able to generate much more force from those workouts, but they have definitely helped me apply the force I do have much much more efficiently and effectively.

As for the Edgin wobble, if you are moving it in singles right now then I have no doubts whatsoever that you will kink it in doubles. I can't speak on the crush because I've never attempted an Edgin myself, but I think its within striking distance for you.

I'm eager to see more bends brother, I hope you stick with it!

• Like 1

Thanks all. Yeah I now have about 4 bars around 90 deg and also a few more pre kinked big bars Ej sent me. It's a pain to wrap those bent bars up lol

Edgins are the real deal be careful you can destroy your hands for life.

what do you mean? Do you have first hand experience. (No pun intended!!)

Good attempt! 90 deg is a tough spot to get past on the shorter stuff. I still have a bunch of 5/16 6" drill rod stuck there. A 6" Red will be in the 525 range ... Some might be closer to 500, some 550.

It's a pain to wrap those bent bars up lol

Wrap a straight bar of the same diameter first, secure it with rubber bands, then pull the wraps off and slide them on the ends of the kinked one.

Hope that helps.

• Like 2

An edgin is more about skin and bone toughness and your pain tolerance. I know a few guys that have the strength but not the tolerance. It just takes practice and drive. I think you have the strength to kink it but your hands are soft. If you are looking to really pursue an edgin I have two suggestions. Buy lots of 5/16 SS and bend in volume. Get some thicker wraps and start trying edgins in those and slowly go down in wrap size.

Yeah it made huge dents in my index fingers. And I've seen now three small paper cut type cuts on index fingers. All from two big hits on edgin. Makes me mad I can't find those leathers I cut.

• 2 weeks later...

Strong bending man!

Progressive cut-down bends might be something that would help you. Nothing revolutionary, and I'm sure other guys did them before I did. But they helped me get stronger faster than I even hoped for once I dialed my high DO form in back in 2006 to 2008. I didn't do this type of bending exclusively, but it was very helpful for breaking some of the big milestone bends. Specifically Huge Shiny to Grand Shiny. Then Grand Shiny to Mag Shiny. Same for the Huge Hex, Grand Hex, Mag Hex, and Insane Hex. I would've certified on the Fantastic Bastard (4" Bastard) much sooner if I had utilized the Progressive cut-down bends exclusively during that time. Hindsight is 20-20 though.

This method of bending is pretty cost-effective too. Not that you're worried about that, since your total volume is very low. But I was blowing through a bunch of steel and had a great recovery ability. So it meant spending more on volume bending.

Here's what I'd recommend to conquer the 6" Red:

• 2 workouts per week. Separated by a few days off between workouts to recover.
  • DAY 1: Warmup however you normally do for a bending workout.
  • Then begin the workout with a straight (unbent, not kinked at all) 6.5" Red Nail. Set a timer for 60 seconds. Give it your best effort until it is at 90 degrees or your time runs out. Then stop. Don't bend it past 90 degrees, even if the bend was easy in this workout.
  • If for some reason you aren't able to bend it to 90 degrees in 60 seconds, rest 5 minutes and then give your best effort again for 60 seconds. With the only goal in mind to bend the bar to 90 degrees.
  • If you fail to bend the bar to 90 degrees, just cheatkink the bar (with cheater pipes) to 90 degrees.
  • Once the bar is at 90 degrees, use your bolt cutters and chop 1/4" off each end of the bar. Now you have a 6" Red at 90 degrees.
  • Rest 5 minutes and give your best effort for 60 seconds. Any movement is a success at this stage of the bend.
  • Rest 5 minutes and then do another 60 second effort. Again, you're trying to get any movement on the bar at the 90 degree stage of the bend. On this second attempt, you could try out a slight technique tweak if you feel it will help you get some movement.
  • Even if you FAIL to move the bar at all in this range - you are still going to build specific strength.
  • STOP THE WORKOUT NOW. And start the recovery process.
  • Next week, on your DAY 1 workout, you will do 2 attempts at the 6" Red at 90 degrees (or wherever you moved it to in the above workout). Rest 5 minutes between both attempts. Limit each attempt to 60 seconds.
  • Then, cheatkink the bar to about 3" between the tips.
  • Rest 5 minutes.
  • Now do another 60 second attempt at this new range. If you fail to get the tips to 2" or less, rest another 5 minutes.
  • Then do another 60 second attempt.
  • STOP THE WORKOUT NOW.
  • DAY 2: Warmup however you normally do for a bending workout. Then begin the workout with a straight (unbent, not kinked at all)1/4"x6" Square (CRS, not HRS).
  • This workout is going to be very similar to the DAY 1 workout. A big difference is you are using a shorter, easier bar (of 1/4" Square-CRS).
  • You will stop at 90 degrees. Then cut 1/4" off each tip of the bar. Now you are bending a 1/4"x5.5" Square (CRS).
  • The other difference is that if you fail to move the bar during a 60-second attempt, on the next attempt (after 5 minutes rest), you will cheatkink the bar slightly and then that will be your next attempt.
  • If you DO move the bar even a little bit on your attempt, you don't need to cheatkink the bar for the next attempt (after your 5 minute rest).
  • Stop the workout before you are wiped out.
  • If you have no trouble bending this bar all the way down to 2" (or less) between the tips, simply start with a 1/4"x5.5" Square in your next DAY 2 workout. Then when you hit 90 degrees with that bar, it will be cut down to a 1/4"x5" Square (CRS).

If you end up giving this a shot, let me know how it turns out! There are 2 guys on the Red Nail list who used this routine (scaled to their strength level and the 7" length) after they asked me for advice on how to get to the next level when they were at the Grade 5 level. I had written up a very detailed article about this workout (and some tweaks I made to it) and sold it to a fitness magazine that never published it. The editor I worked on the project with still sends me a Christmas card every year. Says I helped him go from failing (got it to a bit past 90 degrees with Ironmind pads) on an Ironmind Green Nail (it was the first time he tried bending, in his defense) to bending a Huge Shiny 10 months later. He has said that I could share the actual article itself, but I'm not comfortable with that - since it was paid for. Maybe a bit old-fashioned on my part, but it won't see the light of day, unless I return the money he paid me. And it's long since been spent, lol.

I don't share a lot these days on the bending forum. Simply because I don't bend anymore. One of the prominent "newer" elite benders (he can chime in if he wants to) has been e-mailing me for a few months. Encouraging me to start sharing a bit of my modest accumulated bending knowledge, before it is "lost" due to simply my not sharing it and not having any reason to put pen to paper and make it available to other guys that are trying to make their bending path a bit smoother than mine ultimately was (through my own fault). My "argument" was that I was never the best. He countered with something I have always believed anyway. The guys I'm most interested in learning from are not the guys who can bend a Red on their first day. I have seen that - one of the guys I've helped bent a Shiny on his very first time bending. The guy I want to really sit down and "pick his brain" is the one that had to bust his ass to get his first Yellow Nail - but he persevered and went on to bend the Red and beyond. That would be me. And so once in a while, I'll (if some of you guys express interest, otherwise I'll be a bit chagrined, and will realize my input was not needed or wanted) start contributing to the bending forum again. There are so many very good to phenomenal benders here now that I honestly feel like my input is at best not necessary, and at worst just completely useless.

• Like 4

Thanks for that great write up!! I posted a vid this last summer of me getting a 6.5" red in imps and it took exactly 1min. It was to just under 2"

I have some more reds I just have to cut a few down again.

I think I can get a 6" red now actually. Last time I gave the edgin hell first before trying the 6" red. I will try to bend some stuff in the next few days. I have not tried anything since I made this thread so I really need to.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Strong bending man!

Progressive cut-down bends might be something that would help you. Nothing revolutionary, and I'm sure other guys did them before I did. But they helped me get stronger faster than I even hoped for once I dialed my high DO form in back in 2006 to 2008. I didn't do this type of bending exclusively, but it was very helpful for breaking some of the big milestone bends. Specifically Huge Shiny to Grand Shiny. Then Grand Shiny to Mag Shiny. Same for the Huge Hex, Grand Hex, Mag Hex, and Insane Hex. I would've certified on the Fantastic Bastard (4" Bastard) much sooner if I had utilized the Progressive cut-down bends exclusively during that time. Hindsight is 20-20 though.

This method of bending is pretty cost-effective too. Not that you're worried about that, since your total volume is very low. But I was blowing through a bunch of steel and had a great recovery ability. So it meant spending more on volume bending.

• Then begin the workout with a straight (unbent, not kinked at all) 6.5" Red Nail. Set a timer for 60 seconds. Give it your best effort until it is at 90 degrees or your time runs out. Then stop. Don't bend it past 90 degrees, even if the bend was easy in this workout.
  • If for some reason you aren't able to bend it to 90 degrees in 60 seconds, rest 5 minutes and then give your best effort again for 60 seconds. With the only goal in mind to bend the bar to 90 degrees.
  • If you fail to bend the bar to 90 degrees, just cheatkink the bar (with cheater pipes) to 90 degrees.
  • Once the bar is at 90 degrees, use your bolt cutters and chop 1/4" off each end of the bar. Now you have a 6" Red at 90 degrees.
  • Rest 5 minutes and give your best effort for 60 seconds. Any movement is a success at this stage of the bend.
  • Rest 5 minutes and then do another 60 second effort. Again, you're trying to get any movement on the bar at the 90 degree stage of the bend. On this second attempt, you could try out a slight technique tweak if you feel it will help you get some movement.
  • Even if you FAIL to move the bar at all in this range - you are still going to build specific strength.
  • Next week, on your DAY 1 workout, you will do 2 attempts at the 6" Red at 90 degrees (or wherever you moved it to in the above workout). Rest 5 minutes between both attempts. Limit each attempt to 60 seconds.
  • Rest 5 minutes.
  • Now do another 60 second attempt at this new range. If you fail to get the tips to 2" or less, rest another 5 minutes.
  • STOP THE WORKOUT NOW.
  • DAY 2: Warmup however you normally do for a bending workout. Then begin the workout with a straight (unbent, not kinked at all)1/4"x6" Square (CRS, not HRS).
  • This workout is going to be very similar to the DAY 1 workout. A big difference is you are using a shorter, easier bar (of 1/4" Square-CRS).
  • You will stop at 90 degrees. Then cut 1/4" off each tip of the bar. Now you are bending a 1/4"x5.5" Square (CRS).
  • The other difference is that if you fail to move the bar during a 60-second attempt, on the next attempt (after 5 minutes rest), you will cheatkink the bar slightly and then that will be your next attempt.
  • If you DO move the bar even a little bit on your attempt, you don't need to cheatkink the bar for the next attempt (after your 5 minute rest).
  • If you have no trouble bending this bar all the way down to 2" (or less) between the tips, simply start with a 1/4"x5.5" Square in your next DAY 2 workout. Then when you hit 90 degrees with that bar, it will be cut down to a 1/4"x5" Square (CRS).

If you end up giving this a shot, let me know how it turns out! There are 2 guys on the Red Nail list who used this routine (scaled to their strength level and the 7" length) after they asked me for advice on how to get to the next level when they were at the Grade 5 level. I had written up a very detailed article about this workout (and some tweaks I made to it) and sold it to a fitness magazine that never published it. The editor I worked on the project with still sends me a Christmas card every year. Says I helped him go from failing (got it to a bit past 90 degrees with Ironmind pads) on an Ironmind Green Nail (it was the first time he tried bending, in his defense) to bending a Huge Shiny 10 months later. He has said that I could share the actual article itself, but I'm not comfortable with that - since it was paid for. Maybe a bit old-fashioned on my part, but it won't see the light of day, unless I return the money he paid me. And it's long since been spent, lol.

I don't share a lot these days on the bending forum. Simply because I don't bend anymore. One of the prominent "newer" elite benders (he can chime in if he wants to) has been e-mailing me for a few months. Encouraging me to start sharing a bit of my modest accumulated bending knowledge, before it is "lost" due to simply my not sharing it and not having any reason to put pen to paper and make it available to other guys that are trying to make their bending path a bit smoother than mine ultimately was (through my own fault). My "argument" was that I was never the best. He countered with something I have always believed anyway. The guys I'm most interested in learning from are not the guys who can bend a Red on their first day. I have seen that - one of the guys I've helped bent a Shiny on his very first time bending. The guy I want to really sit down and "pick his brain" is the one that had to bust his ass to get his first Yellow Nail - but he persevered and went on to bend the Red and beyond. That would be me. And so once in a while, I'll (if some of you guys express interest, otherwise I'll be a bit chagrined, and will realize my input was not needed or wanted) start contributing to the bending forum again. There are so many very good to phenomenal benders here now that I honestly feel like my input is at best not necessary, and at worst just completely useless.

^^ That is a killer workout for strength in bending progression. Thank you for sharing that, BenCrush. I am going to incorporate this because it is GOLD.

• Like 1

It's so random this thread was bumped and I just referenced it in my new red bend video haha. Over 8mo between this bend and my red tonight.

• Like 1

Strong bending man!

• Rest 5 minutes.
  • STOP THE WORKOUT NOW.

I totally missed this post. That is a great idea and I will have to try this. Please feel free to share. Sometimes just hearing the same thing explained differently is a huge help.
  • Like 1