Jchap's Bending

jchapman

Just got 12 feet of K DR and 12 feet of l DR to go with my M and 19/64" DR. Gonna make a run at the Red.

This is my best bend, 19/64" DR in IMPs in about a minute. This was last September. I hit a wall right after this, and took time off from bending.

Sunday, 5/4/14

Kinked 3 K bars in IMPs. Was going to do 5 bars, but I ripped the skin off my right index finger.

Wednesday, 5/7/14

Swept and crushed the 3 K bars from Sunday.

• Like 1

Been looking forward to seeing this Log, brotherrrrr!

• Like 1

Sunday 5/11/14

Kinked five K bars in IMPs

Went well, felt strong. I had to have tape on my right index finger. It still isn't healed from last Sunday.

Good to see you have a log going. Stay focused on the goal and you will kill it. Good Luck bud. Look forward to following your progress.

• Like 1

Monday, 5/12/14

Swept and Crushed three K Bars

The first bar went down in a hurry. The next two were epic battles that lasted at least 15 hits each. I had originally planned to get thoough all five K bars from yesterday's kink session, but after those two long battles, I was spent. This was after hitting several heavy squat singles and several heavy bench singles.

Friday, 5/16/14

Kinked two K bars. Finished off an L bar I couldn't kink a couple weeks ago.

Just destroyed these today. I felt like I really got in the perfect position to kink. These were melted in a matter of one or two hits. I left the session wanting more, which is a good thing right now.

Wednesday 5/21/14

Swept and Crushed 4 K-bars

These just melted. The first one was so fast I had to double check to see that it was the right bar. All done in 2-4 hits. Stark contrast to May 12, when I had to take at least 15 hits to get each one done.

I think I discovered a technique change that really helps me with the initial sweep. I move my hands up higher on the bar, with my index fingers on steel only, up near the top of the bend. I rotate the bar a bit towards my chest, so that the ends of the bar are a little lower in the palm than where I place them for the kink. I then hold the bar a few inches under my chin and almost apply a kinking technique to it. This gets it to the point where I can crush it.

• Like 1

Wednesday, 5/28/14

Kinked 1 K-bar and 5 L-bars

Felt great, each kink done in two hits. I didn't re-wrap, just used the same IMPs banded, so they were looser by the last couple kinks, increasing the difficulty. I just need to make sure they don't get too loose and slip.

I have been very busy with the two youth baseball teams I coach. This almost forces me to go slow and steady. At 39 years old, I am starting to accept that more isn't always better.

Thursday, 5/29/14

Swept and Crushed 1 K bar and 5 L bars.

Felt good. Made another technique adjustment on the sweep: hold up high, near the bend like before, but orient the bar more vertically and sweep the elbows down from the side (towards medial). This gets the bar from kink to crush distance.

I'm gonna follow this. Sounds like you are making tiny adjustments that are really helping you. From the sounds of everything you are using a lot of chest strength? Could you post a current video of your max bend? Sounds like you are up to M bar now, or at least that's what I'd assume after you killing 5 L bars.

Start posting in the bending section. From the sounds of the log a few new guys could really benifit from your videos. Just a thought.

Edited by EJ Livesey

I'm gonna follow this. Sounds like you are making tiny adjustments that are really helping you. From the sounds of everything you are using a lot of chest strength? Could you post a current video of your max bend? Sounds like you are up to M bar now, or at least that's what I'd assume after you killing 5 L bars.

Start posting in the bending section. From the sounds of the log a few new guys could really benifit from your videos. Just a thought.

Thanks for checking in. You, Sharkey, Sean, Tommy, and Daniel have been very helpful, hopefully I can pass some of that on down the line. The next time I bend, I will film an M-bar and post it on the Bending section.

I guess I am using a lot of chest, I feel it the next day in the pecs. I am really trying to concentrate on getting my upper back tight and engaged before I lay into the bar.

Way to kick ass brother.

Monday 6/9/14

Kinked a K-bar w/o bands

Kinked 3 M-bars

Today was a bit of a struggle. I struggled to kink the K-bar, and immediately tore skin and got a blood blister on my right index finger. This woke me up. I was able to power through the M-bars, but it was a mental test.

In about an hour and a half, I get to watch someone certify on the Red Nail! This should be inspiring and interesting.

Is there a video on youtube of this guy DU the red?

It just happened this morning. He said he isn't in to putting videos on youtube. But, there was someone there filming it and I heard him say he was going to give him the video, so who knows?

• Like 1

Very nice progress.

Is there a video on youtube of this guy DU the red?

It just happened this morning. He said he isn't in to putting videos on youtube. But, there was someone there filming it and I heard him say he was going to give him the video, so who knows?

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/Articles/2014/Jun/Daniel_Splendoria_Certifies_on_the_IronMind_Red_Nail.html

Very nice progress.

Thanks Tim.

Wednesday 6/11/14

Swept and crushed 3 M-bars

Very happy with my sweep. I seemed to have solved it, at least at this level of bend. The crush is my sticking point. I started experimenting with rotational trunk movement and the gripper crush. I will have to solve this to get the Red.

K-bar w/o bands x 1

5/16" CRS in IMPs x 1. This is one of my goal bends that I just checked off the yellow list in my profile picture.

post-19676-0-18357000-1402931438_thumb.j

Dude, HUGE Milestone!!! Congratulations!