Gripper Warm-Ups

felixthecat

As we all know, warming up before a workout is crucial to performance. I know that benching and squatting is great for gripper training, but how about simply warming up with lighter grippers? Is one way better than the other?

As we all know, warming up before a workout is crucial to performance. I know that benching and squatting is great for gripper training, but how about simply warming up with lighter grippers? Is one way better than the other?

You are going to have to experiment and find out what works for you. Some successful gripsters like Chez start with very low grippers and work their way up the ladder each session. Others like Nathan Holle (also pretty darn successful ;) ) simply make a very tight fist as a warm up and go right into their goal gripper. The exact way you approach your gripper program is going to have a lot to do with how you warm up. In short, I don't think you can say one way is better than an other...except for what works for you.

You are going to have to experiment and find out what works for you. Some successful gripsters like Chez start with very low grippers and work their way up the ladder each session. Others like Nathan Holle (also pretty darn successful ;) ) simply make a very tight fist as a warm up and go right into their goal gripper. The exact way you approach your gripper program is going to have a lot to do with how you warm up. In short, I don't think you can say one way is better than an other...except for what works for you.

Hmm, first time hearing about making a tight fist as a warm-up. I'll definitely try that one out. I agree, it's definitely all up to what works for you. Thanks for the input!

I don't agree making a tight fist alone is a good warm up. Maybe for few but other's will get injured i bet. I will. Others will. Nathan doesn't just jump to his goal gripper. He does 5 strong closes with the coc 3 too before attempting his goal gripper (all is according to coc book). One more thing, don't just assume it always worked for them. Nathan don't participate in public forums, so you don't know if he got injured, what injured him and so on? Always take the full story over the years.

• Like 2

I warm up with lighter grippers working up. in between I also do some high rep band work for getting blood into bi, tris, shoulders, and elbows. when it's nice out i start with some jump rope and indian clubs. I also put on elbow sleeves before I start any of that. it helps get my head together and my heart working. also the lighter grippers help warm up my skin which is an issue with me.

• Like 2

I usually start with lighter grippers and climb to the heavier ones. Unfortunately I have been to lazy with doing compound movements before my gripper workout. Need to start doing squats before because I get stronger when performing them.

Edited by greppstark

For me it depends what time of the day and whether or not I 'm coming from the gym (already warmed up). Sometimes I need more time to warmup than others. I usually warm up with easy grippers ( coc trainer, zeniths, BB beginner) and do a lot of reps to get the blood flow going. I also have a finger hangboard and do a few dead hangs or pullups there.

The best way I've found of warming up is just doing the workout as soon as i've finished work. and years ago I used to do grip as soon as I had finished weight training(when I did that) , those are the best times to do it.

at the minute i'm struggling to warm up at the weekends or days i'm not working, as I only have a powerball and grippers. it seems like any amount of warm ups are not really working in warming up and are just sapping energy from the main workout! I would estimate I'm about 20% weaker on these days.