A New 3.5 Certified Closer...anyone Know Him?

Hubgeezer

Let me dig further. 13 years ago I cut my teeth on plier squeezes and softball pinches. I learned something about grip every time I logged on. I learned how to train to close grippers, lift the blob, pinch 3-25s, etc. Now its a flipping soap opera.

• Like 1

I guess I didnt notice them? Who are they? (Strongest men in the world who actively post)

Oh and your still in diaper status at 2.5 years on this forum. 13 YEARS ago, things were much different.

Strongest men in world for GRIP, because this is the GRIPboard.

Chez, Jedd, Juha, Tommy, EJ, Luke, James R., Bob S, Richard Sorin, Aaron C., Chris Rice, Brent B, Eric M., moberster, Matt M. the list goes on, I know I'm leaving ppl out, this is just off the top of my head. They all post here, if you haven't heard of them and you've stopped learning after 13 years, that's your own fault.

Let me dig further. 13 years ago I cut my teeth on plier squeezes and softball pinches. I learned something about grip every time I logged on. I learned how to train to close grippers, lift the blob, pinch 3-25s, etc. Now its a flipping soap opera.

If you've learned so much in 13 years, why don't you pass on the knowledge here on the gripboard. Post things that will help people instead of complaining about why the board is bad.

Personally I would love to hear from a guy like Barch, who has demonstrated he's at the cutting edge of human potential in both athletic ability and grip strength. There's no need to argue over who knows what, I just don't like when an influential and opinionated guy like Rick shoots down the notion of getting another world class athlete to post here. It's not fair to anyone here to discourage participation. If you don't like the drama stop starting it.

It would be easy for someone to send an email to his website and pitch his joining the Gripboard.

I suspect Rick is correct in that the man would be a busy guy and free time would be something he does not have. And, seeing he charges for advice, programs, and consultation, his time would probably not be free. My thoughts, I could be wrong.

But Certification on a 3.5 and a 50 inch Vertical Leap? Whether it is good genes, hard work, or a combination, he is at a level that is EXTREMELY impressive! And, something I doubt we will ever see again, anywhere, any time. One in a million, minimum.

I asked him if he could share with us how he stayed motivated for the 3.5 cert.

Congrats to him, really inspirational to read that he couldn't close the #2 from the beginning, it gives you that "anything is possible" feeling and that hard work really pays off. The most discuraging stuff you can hear is about people that are genetically gifted and was really strong from the start.

Yeah, quick google search also showed he held the vertical jump WR at one time. Not too many people can say they own that record and can CCS a 3.5. I bet the list stands at one, to be exact.

Haha thats really impressive, considering: "White men can't jump" :grin:

I know that the Vigeants (arm wrestler), Heslep, Morton, big Steve Mcgranahan stopped interest in grip. Joining forum is not a bad thing. Many very strong people are still here. Many came here not closing a 2 and see what they can do now.

He can post once in a while it won't hurt him and it'll benefit everyone here. But of course that's up to him.

I would love to hear from him, sucess stories are awesome.

Ps I was at my strongest when I was a stay at home dad too. Hes in a good situation right now.

Rick Walker is one strong guy who had deadlifted 675 in competition. He certainly knows a thing or two about how to get strong, while overcoming physical ailments. Rick also experimented on himself by trying his own routines and his own training frequencies until he found out what works best for him. He could give all the advice in the world, but ultimately, a person has to take the journey of finding out what works for for them instead of following other peoples' routines. Take a chance, find out something about yourself, and apply that determination and willingness to other tasks in life and you will find that you will likely succeed. It takes guts to "go it on your own," but when you do this and move forward, you will find so much satisfaction in that process instead of just having things handed to you. That is old school thinking, but I am old school. It took me over two years to close a 1/8" gap on my COC #3 after I closed the #2 right out of the box. I did not have the luxury of "in between" grippers back in the late 1990's to close the gap. I had to experiment because there was hardly anybody around to ask about grip training. Bill Piche will remember those days well! I know that many would have quit after a couple of months, but I was determined to succeed, and I had to find out what worked for me. Eventually I succeeded and it was very satisfying because it took alot of thinking and self experimentation. Enjoy your training and enjoy your journey.

• Like 2

Didn't Rick call himself "volume slut" back in the day? I thought I remembered seeing that under his name a decade ago.

Thanks Steve. We are just old dinosaurs brother! Journeys? This is the ME generation bro, they want it all and they want it now!!! Why would you want to learn about yourself and your limits when you can carbon copy someone elses program then blaim them when you fail??

I did upwards of 200 or more reps in grip, daily, back when I was gripping. I super glued and duct taped my skin back together and pushed on. I worked with Steve McGranahan to fabricate medieval equipment that beat us to shit but it allowed me to reach many goals and taught me a lot about myself.

• Like 1

Let us know if you hear from him.

Thanks Steve. We are just old dinosaurs brother! Journeys? This is the ME generation bro, they want it all and they want it now!!! Why would you want to learn about yourself and your limits when you can carbon copy someone elses program then blaim them when you fail??

I did upwards of 200 or more reps in grip, daily, back when I was gripping. I super glued and duct taped my skin back together and pushed on. I worked with Steve McGranahan to fabricate medieval equipment that beat us to shit but it allowed me to reach many goals and taught me a lot about myself.

Rick, I'm a little insulted bro. I feel like you are throwing everyone but you and your select few into the same category. Bro I worked hard for my strength. I broke bones, ripped skin, ripped muscles, slipped disk, ripped connective tissue to be one of the best. I did not copy anyone's workouts I experimented on myself and found what worked for me. I worked my ass off to get where I am. I'm not sure what's up with all this hostility but we are not all the same. I come here to learn and to teach. Not to bitch or start drama. I think you are off base.

• Like 6

EJ,

The fact that you are insulted by something that was said on a forum tells me that you and I are very different. You can read into it what you will. If you find yourself training for the betterment of you as a human, I commend you. If you find yourself training for the admiration of others, then yes, I lump you into that other category.

• Like 1

EJ,

The fact that you are insulted by something that was said on a forum tells me that you and I are very different. You can read into it what you will. If you find yourself training for the betterment of you as a human, I commend you. If you find yourself training for the admiration of others, then yes, I lump you into that other category.

Rick

It's not because it was said on some forum. I couldn't care less what's said on a forum. It was said by some one I have "known" for years on two forums. Some one whose input and advice I've respected. Even if it was too preachy or too in your face, I respected it. Seems we are very different.

• Like 1

A lot of EJ's videos have been to show us how shit is done and to be inspired. Ofcoarse a lot of us post videos..we get feedback on technique etc but most of all praise for accomplishments is KEY for motivation.

I hope you don't find this insulting, but your own successes, mistakes and learnings from those mistakes should be more than enough to motivate you. I have been training with weights for the last 37 years, the majority of the time training alone. I have set countless personal bests with nobody there to praise me or cheer me on. Sure, praise from others is great, but don't depend on it to move you forward.

• Like 5

I've been working out for about 9years now..nothing on your 37yrs but for all my years I've never had a workout partner, I used trial and error for bench, squats and deadlifts etc taking me nearly a decade to find out what really works for me.

What I mean is when I started bending, I had no idea what to go on..guidance with very technical areas of wrist strength etc was much needed as I wouldn't have found out how to put proper power into steel without people like EJ.

Things like bench and deadlifts you can workout for yourself. Just meant things like steel bending.

No offence taken by the way :)

• Like 1

Same here bud, i ended up deleting it. This thread was to recognize Alan's achievement, not bickering with miserable people.

• Like 1

I've been working out for about 9years now..nothing on your 37yrs but for all my years I've never had a workout partner, I used trial and error for bench, squats and deadlifts etc taking me nearly a decade to find out what really works for me.

What I mean is when I started bending, I had no idea what to go on..guidance with very technical areas of wrist strength etc was much needed as I wouldn't have found out how to put proper power into steel without people like EJ.

Things like bench and deadlifts you can workout for yourself. Just meant things like steel bending.

No offence taken by the way :)

Excellent post Josh. Keep up the great work!

• Like 1

for sure, I sent him a link to this thread. :)

for sure, I sent him a link to this thread. :)

AAAAHHH! Not our finest moment here on the Gripboard! Appreciate your effort, though.

haha, that's ok we are humans. I've been in many heated debates in rehab forums imo this is nothing.