Climbing The Ladder: Yori's Training Log

Electron

Hi all, decided to start a log here because my training is starting to become more consistent and I'd like to keep track of my goals and progress here. Hoping to receive some good feedback and support.

My current height and weight are 5'9, and 130#s

In the beginning of the year, these were my goals:

One Arm Pull Up

Weighted Pull Up 100#s

A drastic increase in my squats (175+ x 20+ on the Smith Machine I train on), I used to not be able to do 130x20

Competing in my first AW tournament

Closing the Captains of Crush 2.5 Gripper

Joining a Boxing Club

Gaining 20-30#s

And here are my long term goals:

IM#3+ CCS

5 reps of one arm pull ups -each arm

20 reps of 45 plate pull ups

Bench 250

Squat 350

Dead 450

I'm looking to improve my overall strength, especially per BW ratio. Also looking to close some big grippers.

Yori

• Like 1

Tonight:

Warm up-

Jump rope, 10 mins

Shadow boxing, 5x3mins

Work-

Sparring, 2 rounds @ 3 mins each

Neutral grip chin ups, BWx10, +50x5, +60x5, +70x2, +45x5, BWx10

Glad to see that you've finally started up a log here, I look forward to following it.

Ditto.

You know...if you hit those goals, you'd be deadly on the Sasuke course. - "anw"nate

Last night: Squats

Found out that my squatting is pussy cat. Went to my school's training facility and tried some, and getting under a real bar and going as low as I can wrecked me.

I've been working on a smith lately and thought I was getting better, but I quickly realized that going ATG makes my ass hurt. It seems like I haven't truly been working my flutes and I now have an imbalance between my quads and them.

Since this is a place for me to improve (and I can only improve from here) this is what I did before I got sore as hell.

Warm up-

45(just the bar, to practice form) x 10 reps

65 x 10 reps

95x 10 reps

Work-

115 x 10 reps

135 x 5 reps

There I called it quits because I was needed gas for my sparring session coming up.

Last night: Sparring

Met up with my friend (Grim) from another strength forum, planning to spar with him.

Last time I saw him he was 5'7 and around 160, but he had gained 10 lbs and a lot of muscle in the place of fat since I saw him last time. I could tell he's been lifting.

We head out to a nearby field, and because of time constraints, he doesn't feel like doing ground, and agrees to do straight boxing with me. I feel this gives me an advantage because I can play it safer on my feet. I'm a horrible grappler.

The guy's been training in a few disciplines and is 40lbs heavier than me, and his punches were a lot faster and harder than I was used to.

I learned a lot from the match we had, and realized I'd have to improve on inside fighting shorter guys, as well as using better weight transfer when I do body hooks.

My jabs were crisp like bacon, and my range fighting was pretty on point. I got hit maybe a total of 3 times, and my slipping was good despite my vision being like a mole's and the field being dark.

All in all, it was the first fight I had with him and it was a great learning opportunity. Looking into boxing gyms now so I can train harder in preparation of a tournament next year.

Oh, and since I've always been interested in muay Thai, I asked him to low kick me. Between that and my weak squats, my legs are destroyed.

Tonight: AW training!

Went down to Kyle, TX with my roommate and Jarrod Levulett. Training was at Bonebreaker Barbell with Big Bald Mike.

It was the first practice I've had in a while. I miss pulling twice a week.

Tried some inside moves today, but the guy I was pulling was great at using his bodyweight and staying in his power.

I need to work my hits so I can open him enough to press him.

Also tried some deadlifts today. It's something I've been interested in, but haven't pursued because I was never taught good form. I got coached by Mike and his friend who competes in powerlifting.

Started off with 135 and worked up to 200. You gotta start somewhere, I guess.

I'd like to be able to lift 250 in this lift before the end of this year.

Went down to Kyle, TX with my roommate and Jarrod Levulett. Training was at Bonebreaker Barbell with Big Bald Mike.

Tried some inside moves today, but the guy I was pulling was great at using his bodyweight and staying in his power.

Also tried some deadlifts today. It's something I've been interested in, but haven't pursued because I was never taught good form. I got coached by Mike and his friend who competes in powerlifting.

Are you going sumo or conventional? I am excited to be following your training log.

Are you going sumo or conventional? I am excited to be following your training log.

I'll be mixing it up but for the time being, I'm doing conventional just to learn the form and idea of it.

Thanks man! Be looking forward to your input.

PS. Borrowed "Get a Grip" last night. I'll be watching it soon.

Also, tried Mike's Mark Henry DB trainer, which is a 2.5in. handle loadable dumbbell with an empty weight of 215 lbs.

'Twas crazy.

Glad to see your training log here Yori!

PM me if I can help you buddy!!!

I'll be mixing it up but for the time being, I'm doing conventional just to learn the form and idea of it.

Sounds good. I'm considering making a video log via youtube, maybe I could post them in here as well.

Edited by hellswindstaff

Glad to see your training log here Yori!

PM me if I can help you buddy!!!

Thanks Joe! Glad to have you check it out.

Edited by TentacleGrip

Sounds good. I'm considering making a video log via youtube, maybe I could post them in here as well.

That'd be cool man, you should video your progress.

Sounds like a cool log dude. Nice, fresh and some nice change in the fighting stuff and such. Try ko keep this one up. I'll be following. Good luck on the DL's.

They will build power!

Thanks Geralt! I'll be updating this log frequently, and I hope to have progressions in strength throughout its development.

i too have been trying to gain weight. i have been increasing volume and eating more often. i used to think i just needed to eat bigger meals but that never worked for me. i just need to get a whack of protein and other good stuff 5-6 times a day.

btw, sparring is always something that has intrigued me. have fun with that skill. also god luck on the pull up stuff. don't let the pull up performance frustrate you as you gain good weight. it is tough to increase both.

i too have been trying to gain weight. i have been increasing volume and eating more often. i used to think i just needed to eat bigger meals but that never worked for me. i just need to get a whack of protein and other good stuff 5-6 times a day.

btw, sparring is always something that has intrigued me. have fun with that skill. also god luck on the pull up stuff. don't let the pull up performance frustrate you as you gain good weight. it is tough to increase both.

What's your weight and height? Eating more helps me over a short term but I slow down quickly.

Sparring is definitely fun and I like fighting. You should get into a boxing club to see how you like it.

What's your weight and height? Eating more helps me over a short term but I slow down quickly.

Sparring is definitely fun and I like fighting. You should get into a boxing club to see how you like it.

i am about 5"10" 180. i do have to keep after the frequent eating. not big meals like i was used to, just small meals more often. it definitely gets more good food in me. of course you need the volume of training to support the weight gain goal. lift a lot....eat a lot.

boxing seams cool but does not jive with my goals right now.

You should check out centerline theory. Helped my game.

Edited by hellswindstaff

i am about 5"10" 180. i do have to keep after the frequent eating. not big meals like i was used to, just small meals more often. it definitely gets more good food in me. of course you need the volume of training to support the weight gain goal. lift a lot....eat a lot.

That's cool. What'syour overall goal?

Mine is to generally be stronger and have better control over my body, and others' bodies.

Mine is to generally be stronger and have better control over my body, and others' bodies.

You should check out centerline theory. Helped my game.

I just looked it up but it seems to be something I've been told and practiced for a long time.

Is it a wing-chun idea? I think the current boxing stance has really good protection over the center line and good control over the opponents'.

goals:

1) to get all all stronger hands and wrists

2) to deadlift 500#

3) to press my body weight overhead

focusing on those will keep me busy for a while. i know i will have to get bigger to achieve those goals.

Edited by bubba29

Last night: Sparring

Warm up: jump rope, 10 mins. Hit 250 consecutive, my goal is 1000 consecutive and 30 mins of jumping.

Light shadow boxing for a few minutes, just to practice form and have a good center of gravity.

Sparring: Roommate, 160#s and 5'10, with very little fighting experience.

I usually fight my roommate for ease of accessibility and come out on top easily.

I'd classify him as aveage strength, with no technical knowledge but some sparring experience.

Last night when I fought him, I stayed on the outside and he was outdoing me. I tried moving in but he backs off easily, and kept his distance. I decided that I need to work on combinations more and work on closing gaps and staying inside when fighting him.

I also should maintain my center of gravity more because I tend to overreach when fighting taller people, which causes me to hit weaker and get hit more.

He probably hit me 65% of the time while I only hit him 35%. It felt like the only real time I hit him was in a four punch combination, but he hit me harder and chipped away at me constantly.