Quest For Gripstrength Starting With Gripper #3

Geralt

Geralt-

Have you ever tried RT curls before grippers? Very good prep.

And have you tried Glutamine after working out, and before bed? Your recovery would be much better.

I don't have an RT, but I do have an improvised sort off device. How do you perform these? I take it, with very light weight?

Never dived into the supps really, only whey now and then, creatine in the past, and vitamine extra which I still take daily with a lot of water. Will look into it, thanks man!

I think a lot of my off days are because of slight mental problems...I trained a day earlier as planned, wanted to do other stuff....got waked up way to early because of some barking dog from the neighbours....felt a bit off when I woke up. Now with normal weighttraining I believe you can push through that if it's not too bad, but with grippers....very whimsical things for that matter.

Geralt-

Yes, I warm up with a light weight. Maybe 10 reps. Then add weight for the 3-4 work sets.

In between, I'm warming up with singles on grippers & a thumb clamp.

Supplementing with Glutamine will help you...if it's not something you like to try, I feel like you're missing out.

And the grippers, I feel shouldn't be put on a pedestal! Ha. They are hard to be up for all the time, for sure! But they can make you crazy; at one point I would try not to use my strong hand days before a grip workout--carrying groceries all in the left hand, etc. and I even to this day, get a self-indused sleepy feeling before a workout...if I'm allowed to sit and think about PR's!

It's all mental....you have to almost not care how you get along with grippers...make no big deal of gains. That won't ruin motivation, Your motivation, is waiting all week to train...don't let the grippers get in your head and ruin that.

Ok about what you said about the grippers will not leave this room ... Blasphemy, my friend. Let's just not hope other guys were reading that.

- stops whispering, COUGH -

Interesting what you said about the RT although I am not sure how I would respond to this. Thnx for that info. Always interesting how other guys roll.

I definitely get the grocery carrying story lol

You are right, on the mental stuff, it is hard to work against a self induced commitment to ride for gripperglory every session, but in my case I am so far now that I just keep pushing forward, it's not that I don't have the strength, I just need to overcome a few last bumps. The grippers, specially CCS, don't come naturally to me for sure, but I will get over that hurdle.

Griptraining today, didn't want bad, didn't went great. Just punching the clock.

Went a bit with how I felt. Felt recovered, but not on top gripperstrength. Most work I did on videos, of course not all sets.

Thickbar felt good, my manusgrips open up a lot on the handles of my trapbar, so my hands get a lot of good work for thickbar this way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dinzg_whlTA&feature=youtu.be

Edited by Geralt

Good stuff Geralt! Strong with the fatgripz.

Thnx Roy, I must say, my hands lower arms feel pretty sore now, when I stretch them. I measured the width of the handles and it's 63mm/ 2,48" with the Manusgrips. So it's a good width to work with.

I noticed some strength 'decrease' on the grippers, which shows me that I need more recovery time. I am now going for 10 days of recovery instead of 6, which was also compromised by one regular workout.

I was physically good for training, but not recovered enough for grippers. I wasn't having an off day, so it's a recovery thing.

• Like 1

Received my new diphandles as squatrack attachments yesterday, had a nice workout with these, felt great! My dipstrength is very poor, specially now I am doing them this way:

https://www.t-nation.com/training/dips-youre-doing-them-wrong

This form feels much better for my shoulders. I am not doing a specific program now for pressing, but I just want to feel like I have worked out my chest and tri's every time. I have tried to eat a bit more but I noticed this goes down the drain when I have a bit more hectic work schedule. Tough to put in extra eating stuff when I speak with clients a lot. Can't be stuffing rice and veggies down my neck all the time.

I quit adding sugar into my coffee, tea and also quit adding honey to my oatmeal for breakfast. Also consistently drinking more water. Just trying to get a better intake of quality food and less sugar. Can't say I enjoy my coffee a lot at this moment, but I was used to using a lot of sugar.

Alone with the kids coming days because of my wife's work, so the longer gripper restperiod comes in handy here. Possibly not earlier than next tuesday that I am going to train grip. The sore feeling in my lower arms lasted till yesterday. Not a bad choice probably.

Also read that someone attempted a #3 cert and missed it by a bit, remarking that this cert gripper and the gripper that were used for the SB record on the LA Fitexpo, came out as very hard and stiff #3's. More reason to work up to a hard #3 CCS level. Boo.

Edited by Geralt

I am not doing a specific program now for pressing

Just keep on pressin' whatever feel right. Now that your shoulder feels better your numbers will go up.

Tough to put in extra eating stuff when I speak with clients a lot

How about protein bars? They are very easy to eat while on the road or whatever. Will give you a decent amount of extra protein and calories. http://www.bodyenfitshop.nl/eiwittenwhey/eiwitrepen/ They have a lot of stuff to choose from, including high protein bars, cookies, muffins and crips. Will cost you though...

Edited by Royz

I am not doing a specific program now for pressing

Just keep on pressin' whatever feel right. Now that your shoulder feels better your numbers will go up.

Tough to put in extra eating stuff when I speak with clients a lot

How about protein bars? They are very easy to eat while on the road or whatever. Will give you a decent amount of extra protein and calories. http://www.bodyenfitshop.nl/eiwittenwhey/eiwitrepen/ They have a lot of stuff to choose from, including high protein bars, cookies, muffins and crips. Will cost you though...

Yeah...I don't want to spend that much money on supps, I really want good food, veggies and stuff first. I do use a proteinshake in the

morning now since two weeks, with creatine monohydrate added. On office days I have no problem adding an extra meal but last week I wasn't much around at the office.

Might be better To use a long lasting protein shake(one with a good mix of fast and slow proteins)in the evening instead. In the morning your better off with carbs.

• Like 1

Busy week, grippertraining in between. Going to focus a while on wider sets, making the 2.5 a little bit more my b.tch. Also, because I won't be hitting harder grippers as much, I can probably speed up my recovery a bit.

After warming up:

IM2.5 CCS x 1 mashed the handles;

2 x 'dropping the set' (own invention. little bit. variation on the CCS followed by 20mm blocksets)

IM#3 (filed, 142lbs) CCS close, opening up, 1.5" blockset close, opening up, 20mm blockset. First set felt good, second set I missed the 20mm blockset. It's hard to feel with a filed gripper.

Few attempts to no set my hardest 2.5. This will be my first goal. Getting more familiar with no setting this 2.5. Doubles would be nice.

After this, no set my BBGM (filed, 137lbs)

Letting the thickbar go for now, I noticed that this is where my strong points are but it's nibbling on my gripper recovery.

Edited by Geralt

BW dips 5 x till i rep before failure (which is not that hard given my 'dipstatus');

Push ups;

Neutral grip pull ups;

Assisted pull ups with feet on barbell in squatrack;

Biceps.

Can't be bothered to train legs at the moment. Training is not consistent enough for that. Sunday grippers.

Ok so I was working at home today, typing away and my wife just had called me for lunch. We just started eating and I see this delivery bus stopping by our house. Deliveryman gets a package out and walks to our door. I asked my wife if she ordered something. Nope. The man gave me the package and I saw it was from Cannonpowerworks, addressed to me. Again: HUH. So I opened it up and found a Rolling Thunder...!? Looked through the papers and initially missed a paper.

So I send a message to Kristy Cannon if she knew what was going on....but almost immediately I also thought of Nathaniel Brous...this man came up with evil plans before...so I send a PM through Facebook...and yup.

Than I also found the letter that was included....!

Crazy stuff.

This calls for a grip gathering this summer where it will be covered in beer and chalk. At least chalk than.
Thank you so much guys for this gesture, I really don't know what to say and was utterly, utterly surprised. Artee, RoyZ and Grind, we should hook up this summer, and pay tribute to these awesome guys!
As plans are, we hope to be able to make a trip to the US in 2017 and I really hope to shake hands with some of you guys. As everything permits, we are planning to visit Nate's place somewhere in that trip. Plans are made very carefully, since a family trip is pretty expensive. Saving our ass off really at this point. And now we HAVE to haha
Edited by Geralt
  • Like 9

That really is a great gesture man.

And we definitely should meet this summer and squeeze the crap out of the RT. :D

• Like 1

Very cool. Looking forward to seeing you train with it.

• Like 1

Training today:

IM#1 (filed) TNS 2 x 10;

76mm RB rolling handle 2 x 1 @20kg;

IM#2 (filed) TNS 1 x 5

76mm RB rolling handle 1 x 1 @40kg;

IM#2.5 1 x 1 CCS close;

Gripperwork lefty 1.5" blockset reps with filed #2, and my TNS reps #1, I am experiencing no pain afterwards so that is good!! People don't let that freakin' elbow injuries get you because they hunt you!

Gripperwork righty:

3 x 1 1.5" blockset 'hard' #3 (153+ lbs) closes;

1 x 1 1.5" blockset 'easy' filed #3 plus timed close hold;

Rolling Thunder after working up:

70kg (154lbs) x 1;

75kg (165lbs) got air under it, but slipped at the top;

70kg x 1;

65kg x 1;

60kg repping out;

Thin pinch work one hand Europinch;

Wristroller 40kg both directions.

More than enough for today, want to keep about 4 days of rest in between and see if I can get away with it. Some highlights from today filmed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qahn4wwP1w

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

70kg (154lbs) x 1; 75kg (165lbs) got air under it, but slipped at the top;

Nice work Geralt.

Ok so my guess was a bit off... I do feel you've got more in you (with current strength) with better technique/more practise. You seem to pull very 'loose' almost casual and you seem to pull mostly with your upper body. Personally I like to go down deeper so I can use my legs more and it's also easier to keep my upper body more 'tight' that way. My two cents...

• Like 2

70kg (154lbs) x 1; 75kg (165lbs) got air under it, but slipped at the top;

Nice work Geralt.

Ok so my guess was a bit off... I do feel you've got more in you (with current strength) with better technique/more practise. You seem to pull very 'loose' almost casual and you seem to pull mostly with your upper body. Personally I like to go down deeper so I can use my legs more and it's also easier to keep my upper body more 'tight' that way. My two cents...

Thanks for the observation my friend, you are right for sure about needing more tightness. Did squats today since looong and when I focus on that quality posture and tightness I am much stronger. I have the tendency to have a 'slungelig' posture hehe. About the RT well....there wasn't much more left in the tank, but it stays a secondary training for me. Concentrating more on thickbar and it's bye bye gripper strength for me.

Plus I just wanted a first indication while it wasn't necessarely PR day. But to say I can easily pull 10 kg more....nope. One thing i have learned by now is that strength in one area doesn't need to correlate to another discipline at all. I will try to put in more leg, good point.

Planned to train first thing today but it snowed, so had some fun with the kids first at the local lake. However all that running up and down hills and sleighing made me slow as heck when we came back in the house heh. Kicked myself in the butt and still wanted to do a grippersession today. 

I am concentrating on grippers only in training again, all the thickbar stuff was fun but it makes my lower arms sore for days and doesn't benefit my gripperstrength short term, assistance or not. Probably I do assistence work to heavy but I don't want to analize everything too much.   

IM2.5 CCS 2 x 1;

Ghp7 1.5" 3 x 1; 

first one good for sure, last two can't say for sure. Felt heavy today. I keep saying that my Ghp7 is tough (155rgc Cpw) while Artee claimed it felt just as his Ghp7 with which he did 3 reps with the same set and easier for him than COC's. Ghp's feel harder for me than COC. Typical...Guess it's all subjective. 

IM#3 (149) 1 x 1 1.5" ;

IM#3 (142 filed) 1 x 3 wider than parallel with overcrush;

IM2.5 1 x 5 parallel. 

IM1 (filed) 1 x 25 TNS (flipping the gripper with the fingers after each rep).

Also trapbar lifts but nothing special to mention.

Keep working on the CCS, this #3 cert needs to come down this year big time.
Stick to your game plan to be consistent and the gains will come!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Grind said:

Keep working on the CCS, this #3 cert needs to come down this year big time.
Stick to your game plan to be consistent and the gains will come!

Thnx Mark! 

keep it up man!!! just keep it consistent and make sure it is right for you (which is something easier said than done, but, you seem to be good at this)

that #3 sure is going down hard this time around!!!

Squats, warm up sets and working 5 x 5 @85kg. Felt easy and good form. 

Shoulderpresses (seated) warm up sets and working 5x5@ 50kg. 

Dips @bw, upright and strict 5 x 5.

everything felt good and had more in the tank which makes for a good start. 

Hope that I can keep some 'schwung' in general training again, now that I have stripped my gripworkouts for a bit. 

Edited by Geralt

Grippers only. 'Medium' 

L, filed IM#2, 5 x 5 TNS (no pain afterwards anymore yay)

R, IM#2.5, 3 x 1 TNS (I suck at TNS so ths needs to change) 

IM#1 TNS x 30 L and IM#2 TNS x 10 R. 

• Like 1

Nice work!!!

great stuff with the added TNS-stuff!!! I like TNStraining, and, I need to step up my training in that area again!!!

• Like 1