Quest For Gripstrength Starting With Gripper #3

Geralt

CCS training today, did minimal warming up, just wanted to see where I would be during ' cert circumstances'. Still a headcold but it's getting better.

CCS
#3 (149) x 1 closed, x 2 very very near.
#3 (142) x 2 closed, cost a bit more effort, was shaking pretty much. Closed however. Filmed a few attempts.

Few 55lbs fatblob lift attempts, stayed glued to the ground. Did a few drags with both hands.
Wristcurls, ending in slight fingercurls, 4 sets till failure.

EZ bar bicepcurls. Next weekend at the earliest new grippertraining.

Didn't film the first close, since I do not want to be distracted by holding my hand in frame just for the purpose of filming. This makes a lot of difference for me in closing power.

IM#3 149lbs CCS attempt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLDDke15Zn0

IM#3 142lbs CCS close

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK57oR7erag

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

After work before dinner:

Squats, no particular program just basic worksets to let them feel worked out. Pyramide style worksets. Have to build up weight again.

Bar x 10

50kg x 10

70kg x 10

75kg x 8

85kg 3 x 5

70kg x 10

50kg x 10

Short rests, immediatly switched to 10 x 10 kettlebell swings with 20kg kettlebell. 10 - 15 secs rest in between. Got me some decent sweating and a nice heart rate lol my ass felt numb also, also my grip almost gave out, since I had worked grip yesterday. Enough.

Edited by Geralt

Everybody seems to be working out hard! Didn't update this week and already I'm on the second page haha

December 10th: Squats, same setup as Monday and a short shoulderpress workout. Didn't have time for more due to all kinds of stuff. Positive things, I might add.

Today grippertraining. Few notes to self: last grippertraining (Dec.6th) I did fingercurls with barbell on bench. No go, too detrimental for gripperwork. I was sore for too long (4 days), despite not using big weights. Although I felt good today and felt strong, I noticed supercompensation hadn't kicked in already, as I had wished. I still keep doing wristcurls, but this is - when done correctly - a much different exercise compared to the first one.

Tomorrow no time for grippers, otherwise I would have postponed the training. That and I also wanted to do grippers. Too much motivational stuff on damn YT going on lol

Second note: work more BTR. This aids in the difference between MMS and CCS. Filed my old unrated #3, probably in the low #150's, but very stiff now in the end due to the filing.

TNS filed IM#1 1 x 5 speedcloses;

TNS filed IM#2 1 x 3 speedcloses;

Wide set (probably CCS, but didn't want to fiddle with the card today) filed IM#2.5 1 x 1.

Working: Wide sets/parallel/last set deep set for overcrush 6 x 1 filed IM#3, had my wife check the closes, first two were completely closed, other 4 weren't, but would have been closed when not filed. BTR taxes the hands very much and shows how the hands are programmed to just stop moving when normal closing position is reached.

Fatgripz Extreme on rolling horseshoe handle, lefty, up to 50kg, for triples. Right hand. switched to normal (blue) fatgrip, got air under 70kg, to halfway lock out. This movement seems to come natural to me. Definitely will kill the RT challenge (CTD) from IM after I cert the #3.

Ended with a few sets of standing wristcurls.

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

Definitely will kill the RT challenge (CTD

Agreed but where could you cert a CTD in Holland?

Solid work btw!

Same place where you cert a #3?

• Like 1

Few notes to self: last grippertraining (Dec.6th) I did fingercurls with barbell on bench. No go, too detrimental for gripperwork. I was sore for too long (4 days), despite not using big weights. Although I felt good today and felt strong, I noticed supercompensation hadn't kicked in already, as I had wished. I still keep doing wristcurls, but this is - when done correctly - a much different exercise compared to the first one.

I assume you mean that the second time around, you didn't go past a neutral wrist to let the bar sink in? I am thinking about switching to these.

Few notes to self: last grippertraining (Dec.6th) I did fingercurls with barbell on bench. No go, too detrimental for gripperwork. I was sore for too long (4 days), despite not using big weights. Although I felt good today and felt strong, I noticed supercompensation hadn't kicked in already, as I had wished. I still keep doing wristcurls, but this is - when done correctly - a much different exercise compared to the first one.

I assume you mean that the second time around, you didn't go past a neutral wrist to let the bar sink in? I am thinking about switching to these.

This is how I see the two motions, which I perform with a homemade thickbar.

Fingercurl: lower arms on bench, bar resting in hands, thumbs under the bar, then wrists lowering as far as possible, opening up my hands, letting the bar roll out as far as I can and still hold the bar , then rolling it back up. Then carefully rolling the bar down again, so not curling the wrist up, not until the last rep.

Wristcurl: same setup, still thumbs under the bar, lowering the wrist as far as possible, holding the bar tight in the hand, so no rolling out. Then curling back up, as far up as possible. The bar stays in the hand all the time in the same place.

Definitely will kill the RT challenge (CTD

Agreed but where could you cert a CTD in Holland?

Solid work btw!

I would think what Mark said...but it won't be for a while.

Busy week, also headcold continues.

Benchpress, since long time. No testing, just starting with low weights to work back up. Trainingfocus on upper body from now on.

Bar x10

50kg x 10

60kg x 10

70kg x 5

80kg x 5

70kg x 6

60kg x 10

Neutral grip chins, didn't feel right, switched to standing logbar rows, strict up to 60kg. Quick concentric, slooow eccentric.

Off hand grippers, all TNS:

filed #1 3 x 10;

filed #2 1 x 2;

Filed #1 1 x 10.

See if this hurts my tennis elbow.

Had to stop for dinner and christmas for kids' school.

Grippers after warming up:

IM#2.5, filed, 3 x 1 wide set (wider than CCS) speedcloses;

BBGM (137lbs), filed, 2 x 1 wide set (above parallel) speedcloses/ overcrushes;

IM#2.5, filed, 1 x CCS set and close, keeping the gripper closes, 2 more 20mm blocksets from this position. Hard!

Manusgrip (blue) attached to revolving horseshoehandle, makes up for 58mm thickness.

Offhand 1 x 9 @ 60kg / 132 lbs;

'on' hand 1 x 10 @ 60kg / 132lbs. Starting off with weight I can rep easily, but the reps make for a real killer! Jvance doing this with 80kg's is pretty tough.

Destroyed thumbs with 30kg/66lbs one handed Europinch (thin setup). Note: I assist lifting up (two hands) and do a controlled negative with one hand. For several sets and reps this destroys the thumbs.

Finished each set with thumbscrews. 'screwed' the first set up, but setting the spring wrong/too hard. Was thinking the other way around.

Videos below on my YT channel, filmed a few things for fun. I can't edit videos right now since I don't have a laptop anymore, so it's a few seperate videos.

Edited by Geralt

I'am fine. Thanks for asking. Training is more focused on bending at the present time (I like it too much !) but grippers are not put aside. No great numbers anyway but I still have fuel in the tank. I also train on the RT (78 kg right hand) and hub (16 kg RH and 15 kg LH). Christmas time is always good for me in terms of training because it's 15 days off and nothing else to do !

Keep up the hard work my friend !

• Like 1

Yesterday pressing work, finally vacation till the 4th of January, but need to hold back in training despite having more time now. Less is more right now due to grippertraining but it is also a bit more boring heh

Bulding up bench,

3 x 10 @75kg;

Incline: 3 x 6@55kg;

Few sets of dumbbell flyes since literally years.

Girly weights I know but with benching my ego always got in the way and I always ended up having painful shoulders and the weight not heigher then 110 -120kg for one single. And that was looong ago when i occasionally stumbled into a gym. Maybe I can get past that point for one time.

Dumbbell triceps extensions few sets;

Logbar rows few sets.

Needless to say today I have some nice DOMS because of the flyes I guess.

Sunday gripperz

• Like 2

Grippers after warming up:

IM#2.5, filed, 3 x 1 wide set (wider than CCS) speedcloses;

BBGM (137lbs), filed, 2 x 1 wide set (above parallel) speedcloses/ overcrushes;

IM#2.5, filed, 1 x CCS set and close, keeping the gripper closes, 2 more 20mm blocksets from this position. Hard!

Manusgrip (blue) attached to revolving horseshoehandle, makes up for 58mm thickness.

Offhand 1 x 9 @ 60kg / 132 lbs;

'on' hand 1 x 10 @ 60kg / 132lbs. Starting off with weight I can rep easily, but the reps make for a real killer! Jvance doing this with 80kg's is pretty tough.

Destroyed thumbs with 30kg/66lbs one handed Europinch (thin setup). Note: I assist lifting up (two hands) and do a controlled negative with one hand. For several sets and reps this destroys the thumbs.

Finished each set with thumbscrews. 'screwed' the first set up, but setting the spring wrong/too hard. Was thinking the other way around.

Videos below on my YT channel, filmed a few things for fun. I can't edit videos right now since I don't have a laptop anymore, so it's a few seperate videos.

Nice overall workout!

• Like 1

Good session today, last gripwork of 2015 already! Warming up with light grippers, broomstick twisting for the wrists and light rolling handle lifts for my off hand, still not training grippers. The amount of tennis elbow is strong in this one. Getting better though.

Crush

Working sets for grippers, all closes as explosive as possible:

filed IM#2.5 TNS 2 x 1 closed;

filed BBGM @ 137lbs by CPW before filing down, makes it much more stiff in the end. Sets wider than CCS (just setting it around the tips of my fingers for a good set)

5 x 1 closed, last ones handles not completely touching, but definitely beyond normal closing depth. Going to file it further down now. The sweep actually feels a bit stiffer then my regular 142# IM#3.

Wide sets with a filed gripper really is intense, squeezed the hell out of the last single.

Filed down BBGM (137lbs CPW before filing down)

Open hand
Rolling handle (58mm) R up to 70kg/154lbs to lock out, L several sets with 55kg/121lbs. Both hands reps with 121 lbs till failure.

Manusgrip attached to rolling horseshoe handle

Pinch
Thumbwork, one hand lifts with Euro, 30mm thick (thin) @ 30kg/66 lbs. R lift to lockout, after this both hands several sets of 5, assisted lift, one hand hold and controlled downwards.
Stripped the weights and with empty setup tried out several techniques and ROM that Kody described in the gripwell.

31mm pinch work one hand

Ended with thumbscrews.
Wrists
Wristwork with wooden hammer, All directions, radial, ulnar, supination, pronation. Working with different handplacements on the handle for increased or decreased resistance.
Ended with homemade wristroller, destroyed any functionality of my lowerarms lol, experimented to feel what weight works best in this setup. Used steelwire but going to replace that for normal climbing rope. The steelwire is a bit too sturdy.

Homemade 50mm wristroller

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

All areas covered!

Looked like a strong session mate!

Thnx buddy! Working with grippers this way insures that I am not maxing out all the time but still manage to get in enough stimulation to make progress. The filed grippers train a much better ROM for me. All the heavier #3 CCS attempts halt within a mm every time. This will help for sure. My top MMS strength is good enough so I focus on this for a while. Then possibly back to my last cycle as Nate suggested. Building a broader base is better for me than relying/hoping to have a good day on heavy gripper attempts. The other gripimplements also make for much more fun in training.
  • Like 2

All areas covered!

Thnx buddy! Working with grippers this way insures that I am not maxing out all the time but still manage to get in enough stimulation to make progress. The filed grippers train a much better ROM for me. All the heavier #3 CCS attempts halt within a mm every time. This will help for sure. My top MMS strength is good enough so I focus on this for a while. Then possibly back to my last cycle as Nate suggested. Building a broader base is better for me than relying/hoping to have a good day on heavy gripper attempts. The other gripimplements also make for much more fun in training.

Sounds like a solid plan!!

I just ordered a block so I can train block sets, also got a rated #2.5 at 131# coming. I can manage closes with my #2.5 but no idea if it's on the weak or hard end.?

All areas covered!

Sounds like a solid plan!!

I just ordered a block so I can train block sets, also got a rated #2.5 at 131# coming. I can manage closes with my #2.5 but no idea if it's on the weak or hard end.?

I have the same with my both 2.5''s. Why not file the 'old' one? Imagine closing that one, next thing you'll know you grind the handles of your new one!

Enjoying Christmas holidays, seen Star Wars yesterday evening with a buddy and just enjoying some time off from everything, although it's just for a few days. Could have crammed in more training but the once per week grip and once per week upper body works good for now.

All presses with thickbar

5x5 seated shoulderpress since weeks;

3 x 5 flat bench with feet on bench;

3 x 8 incline bench;

1 x front barbell raises till failure.

3 x 6 skullcrushers with dumbbells;

Logbar rows 1x10, 2 x 6, 1 x 10, pyramid style

Concentration curls with dumbbells, lying on my stomach on an incline bench. So really working the bi's. Sets till failure.

Edited by Geralt

Good trainingsession again. I hope to maintain this positive flow.

Filed my light IM#3 down (doglegside) for BTR work. Filing it down a bit further each time.

After warming up:

Filed IM#3 (142lbs before filing down) 4 x 1 CCS, all closed. I noticed the ends of the handles can't touch completely anymore because I need to file it down further upwards the handle. Makes the close just that bit harder in exactly the ROM where I want it to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CiDfDj-bfg

Filed BBGM (137lbs before filing down) 2 x 1 CCS, forcing the handles really tight BTR and trying to even crush through that dogleg.

Rolling handle like the sessions before, several sets, and reps, R 70kg/154 lbs felt good and L 65 kg/143 lbs felt good. Repwork in the lower weights area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLRsarshEDE&feature=youtu.be

Europinch, R 30kg lifts and L missed this weight, after this assisted lifts with both hands (35kg) and slow negatives with one hand, sets of 5 reps.

Choked Vulcan with orange spring and thumbscrews, several sets of 5, working on that narrow pinch.

Wristwork in all directions with wooden hammer;

Rolled my arms to oblivion with mounted wristroller.

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

Pushing session, and just punching the clock. Felt a bit tired and was low in energy. Tomorrow however no time and after that there's too little recovery time between this workout and grip in the weekend.

Flat bench after warming up and shoulders warming up:

50kg 1 x 10;

60kg 1 x 10;

70kg 1 x 8;

80kg 3 x 6.

Rack presses halfway before lock out:

3 x 5 @ 60kg as explosive as possible.

Incline bench (a bit lower than halfway) 50kg 1 x 10, 1 x 8, 1 x 6.

Supersetted narrow grip skullcrushers sets of 10 and BW pullups with V bar handle, after fatiguing, resting and assisting with my feet placed on a lower resting barbell.

Edited by Geralt

Griptraining feels good at the moment. Really found my groove for now.

After warming up etc working range:

Crush

Grippers up to IM#3, filed CCS's all closed, working all my grippers beyond the range.

IM#3 (unrated, but definitely 150+ lbs), heavily filed, tried to overcrush the damn thing.

BBGM, which has a nasty binding at the end of the spring since I filed it. Tried timed closed holds with creditcardset handle placement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf4VKh485i0

IM#3 150lbs or higher, definitely so after filing heh

Filed #3

Open handstrength

76mm rolling handle testing, 40kg/88 lbs;

BW hangs (103kg / 227 lbs) with Fatgripz extreme, just a few seconds, totally different feeling, I will save myself the embarrassment of logging seconds lol

rolling handle with regular fatgrip (around 58mm) 80kg / 177lbs ! new PR, seems that working the much thicker handles triggered my hands. Attempts after this one were worthless.

Repping out with 60kg / 132lbs with 58mm rolling handle both hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZKuB2_waEQ

Pinch

Used a wooden pinch block, pretty wide, haven´t measured it, up to 75kg / 132 lbs, repwork after this with less weight, 3 x 5.

Ended with mounted wristroller @ 40kg, working both the extensors and flexors. Due to time had to stop here.

Trained for roughly one and a half hour. This is a good time amount for now to work my grip once per week and feel improvement.

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 4