First Time Poster/red Chaser.

Raspberry Ape

Hi guys.

First time posters long time lurker.

Im a full time BJJ athlete in the UK who took up grip training to help my grappling but got bitten by the bug. Learnt about grippers a few years ago and started training with them then got into nail bending which I found came more naturally for me so decided to set a goal for certing on the red.

Ive bent 5 so far 2 in single IMP. Fastest one below that I did today, bend starts at 2mins. Im hoping to attempt the cert in January.

Would be happy to receive any technique feedback as ive only learnt from Jedds DVD and watching some of you guys; EJ, Paul Knight, Wigren, JT etc.

Also from people who have certed, how much difference does it make to bend in single imps without rubber bands compared to with, and any tips for the cross over. (I havent tried it yet)

Lastly, are there many benders from the UK, and related, any idea on roughly how many UK red certified?

Cheers

Dan

• Like 2

Welcome. Without rubber bands is harder because the wraps loosen up. So you can't really let go of the pads once you grip them. Well as little as possible.

Another primate! Its a zoo up in here now. :cool

Good bend. Technique looks good. You're strong for sure. If you can hold the hits longer you will generate even more power.

I've just started Jitz. Haven't really gotten to the place where my strength is an asset, but I have surprised a few people with how long I can hold onto them.

Cert should be no problem. To get used to no rubber bands, start with no bands on your warm up bends to get used to it. If your IMP's are just broken in enough, without being too softened from use, only the first layer will unravel even a little. Honestly as fast as you went through that you won't have any trouble with the switch. Just get a routine of how you remove the bands while holding the wraps and getting into position. One or two weeks and you won't notice it.

Edited by Mike Sharkey

^ Nice advice, cheers bro.

Yh, I have a habit of letting go in between hits and I know you cant do that without bands so with this bend i tried to hold on.

As for technique taking off the bands, I saw EJs red in one imp and he used a clamp to hold the wrap on, wondering if anyone has tried this for a cert style bend, clamping one side after taking of the band allowing you to easier take off the second?

As for the jiu jitsu, guys with good grips have a way bigger advantage than very strong guys overall in my opinion (such as a powerlifter). Strength is the biggest disadvantage in technical progression as a beginner. Once youve relaxed enough to understand the techniques fully your strength with become a huge advantage.

Not surprised people have freaked out when youve grabbed their lapels hahaha

You can brace one wrap (which you already removed the band) with the heel of your hand and touch the other wrap with your thumb as you remove the second. It's only the kink that really feels different so just rehearse the transition.

I've already given up trying to use my strength in Jiu Jitsu. Got me nowhere

What aspect of grip do you find most useful? Lately I was thinking axle as it's good to hold wrists and ankles?

Edited by Mike Sharkey

Good bend! I am from the uk.

Sweet. Where abouts?

You can brace one wrap (which you already removed the band) with the heel of your hand and touch the other wrap with your thumb as you remove the second. It's only the kink that really feels different so just rehearse the transition.

I've already given up trying to use my strength in Jiu Jitsu. Got me nowhere

What aspect of grip do you find most useful? Lately I was thinking axle as it's good to hold wrists and ankles?

Nice one.

Yh, I think thick bar has huge cross over and farmers walks. Gripper close isos for lapel. Vertical thick bar replicates free moving wrists and ankles better. I actually think bending has huge cross over for all the tight arm controlling positions as well as wrist locks obviously.

Your first post was pretty impressive. Just practice like Mike Sharkey said and you will have problems bending without bands. there really isn't much advice I can give. Mike summed it up very well.

• Like 1

Welcome,

Outstanding first post!

Your bending looks pretty dang good; your strong with solid technique and no deficiency's I can point out!

Look forward to seeing more bends in the future.

Im in North London.

Much appreciated everyone.

Was gonna try and focus on a number 3 cert after ive done the red nail but am enjoying bending a lot more. So will likely get some iron off Ivan and look to get on the iron grip list as the next goals. Somewhat related, I hear FBBC has been bought and is opening back up, any truth to this?

I hear FBBC has been bought and is opening back up, any truth to this?

This is very much true. I've been in contact with Andrew, the fella that bought it. Should be up and running soon. The certs and lists will be active again.

I hear FBBC has been bought and is opening back up, any truth to this?

This is very much true. I've been in contact with Andrew, the fella that bought it. Should be up and running soon. The certs and lists will be active again.

Would be awesome if rated steel is added to the list of goodies! :devil