Question About Recovery After A Grip Workout

Anthony C.

Hello all,

Firstly I'd like to say I'm new here so thank you for having me! I'm sorry if I've posted this in the wrong section...if I have please let me know and I'll gladly move it.

I was just wondering, besides the EGG or dexterity balls, is there anything that you use for recovery after a tough grip workout? Like a hand bath, hand massager, etc? My hands are very sore after workouts and I feel like a nice soak could help them, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Maybe some warm water with epsom salt? Any responses are greatly appreciated, thank you!

-Anthony

Try a contrast bath, First soak your hands in hot water that you can handle

without getting burned for 5 min. Then soak your hands in ice water for 5 more

all while closing the hands rolling your wrist, It has always helped me. Also do

extensor exercises like simply putting a thick rubber band around the ends of all

your fingers and opening them far as you can for reps. GOODLUCK!

All to his own! whatever works for you.

I agree with the epsom salt also, I have used it for other muscles.

If you're a beginner or just flat out increasing volume substantially, then there will be a period that your skin needs to adjust to the work load. Everyone so far has given good advice, my favorite recovery work is digging your hands in a bucket of sand opening and closing them, in this fashion pushes a lot of blood into your hands and has little wear and tear on the hands as there is no eccentric.

Sand is good, also a very light gripper helps me.

Thank you for the responses! This has all been very helpful. I'm definitely going to try the contrast bath and I have expand your hand bands which I use regularly. Unfortunately I can't utilize the sand bucket because I don't train at home, but that sounds like a great idea. And thank you for the video!

• Like 1

Many years ago a college football squad strength coach showed me his hand rehab/ dexterity building system. 5 gallon bucket half filled with raw rice grains and a few coins tossed in . The job in one set was to dig down pull out the coins then replace them one by one. It was harder and more effective than you would think.

• Like 2