Hub Lift Equivalent Of A 225lb Bench Press

oregonite

Hi,

What would you consider to be the hub lift equivalent of a 225lb bench press (healthy adult male)? The threshold at which you'd think it starts to be a respectable lift...

Cheers,

Rob

Interesting topic and replies. I'm putting on a strength decathlon next month, with the 3 powerlifts, 2 olympic lifts plus the oly press, strict curl, rolling thunder, log lift, and 200lb (each) farmers walk. I'm scoring the competition similar to a T&F decathlon. In my (homemade) tables I have a 600 lb bench scoring 1000 points, and down the chart 225 lbs scoring 328 points. In the grip tables I collaberated with Hubgeezer to prepare several years ago we came up with a Hub performance of 45 lbs scoring 519 points. Being primarily a powerlifter, with very average (or worse) grip strength, I just may be harder on the PLers because of my much more frequent exposure to that sport, but IMHO, I think you'd find most would be able to BP 225 than do a 45 lb Hub..

I'm certainly no expert in either sport and would love to hear from others about this..

45lbs. on the Hub is a decent lift. But the learning curve is a lot different than bench press. Most will be able to do a 225 bench, and not a 45 hub, but a lot of those people have likely been training some variation of chest for awhile, and not open-hand pinch. If someone decides to train the Hub, it won't take very long to get the lift down and hit an easy 45 or even 50.

In my experience, small increments at a certain point become huge (e.g. 57.5 - 60). and take a lot of time to progress towards. Training bench is a lot more fluid, and weak points can be attacked more easily once a sticking point is hit, until a true max is reached.

.... Training bench is a lot more fluid, and weak points can be attacked more easily once a sticking point is hit, until a true max is reached.

good point. I think this applies to squats and deadlifts as well.

seems like in powerlifting there's more carryover between assistance exercises and the main lifts + more angles to attack the sticking points from as opposed to gripping.

as for the 225 bench being equivalent to a 45 hub lift - I benched 225 when I was a teenager meathead after a few months of training, don't think I'd be able to lift a 45 on a hub after a few months of training. I mean sheet I bought my IM hub in november and can barely do 35# on it :)

Its very dependent on your hand. I am no amazing gripster by any standard, and I lifted 45# on the IM Hub the second time trying it. Breaking 60# is taking quite a bit of specific training, though I can seem to hub most 45# plates.

Something I am wondering . What designates the value of a hub lift? I like the lift but each of us uses a different hub, angled, painted, unpainted, large small, rough, straight sided , slick paint, old worn paint, aged artificially, sand blasted, rusted,whatever. I wish it were easier to determine merit of grip without worrying what part slick paint has to play with my grip. A simple thing but hard to determine.

• Like 2

Something I am wondering . What designates the value of a hub lift? I like the lift but each of us uses a different hub, angled, painted, unpainted, large small, rough, straight sided , slick paint, old worn paint, aged artificially, sand blasted, rusted,whatever. I wish it were easier to determine merit of grip without worrying what part slick paint has to play with my grip. A simple thing but hard to determine.

I think the IM Hub's recent popularity takes some of the mystery out of it. When I wanted to hub a plate, Daniel Reniard told me I would need around 60# on the IM device, and that turned out mostly to be true. To clean a plate it seems being around 70# on it makes that possible.

I have been training on the Sorinex Hub as well for a variety in finger placement :cool

Interesting topic and replies. I'm putting on a strength decathlon next month, with the 3 powerlifts, 2 olympic lifts plus the oly press, strict curl, rolling thunder, log lift, and 200lb (each) farmers walk. I'm scoring the competition similar to a T&F decathlon. In my (homemade) tables I have a 600 lb bench scoring 1000 points, and down the chart 225 lbs scoring 328 points. In the grip tables I collaberated with Hubgeezer to prepare several years ago we came up with a Hub performance of 45 lbs scoring 519 points. Being primarily a powerlifter, with very average (or worse) grip strength, I just may be harder on the PLers because of my much more frequent exposure to that sport, but IMHO, I think you'd find most would be able to BP 225 than do a 45 lb Hub..

I'm certainly no expert in either sport and would love to hear from others about this..

where is that? sounds fun. "log lift" is log press?

the raw bench WR is 722 and 225 is 31% of that. the hub WR is 83 and 31% of that is 26.5#.

Edited by bubba29

the raw bench WR is 722 and 225 is 31% of that. the hub WR is 83 and 31% of that is 26.5#.

A movement that deals with fewer muscle groups should be roughly based on a reverse logarithmic scale. Also, though 83 is the most lifted in competition, there are several people lifting over 90# in training, so this event, being rather new, hasn't had enough of a population sampling to accurately represent human potential.

A movement that deals with fewer muscle groups should be roughly based on a reverse logarithmic scale. Also, though 83 is the most lifted in competition, there are several people lifting over 90# in training, so this event, being rather new, hasn't had enough of a population sampling to accurately represent human potential.

true...i thought about this after i posted. it will never reach the popularity of the bench press. so the question becomes....what is the human potential in this event? 110#, much more?

true...i thought about this after i posted. it will never reach the popularity of the bench press. so the question becomes....what is the human potential in this event? 110#, much more?

We should probably ask Mike Burke :whistel

I have heard stories of Old Timey Dudes lifting almost 100# on a plate with added weight. If that's true, that would probably translate to 110-120 on the IM Hub.

We should probably ask Mike Burke :whistel

I have heard stories of Old Timey Dudes lifting almost 100# on a plate with added weight. If that's true, that would probably translate to 110-120 on the IM Hub.

Who is the first to break 100lbs? Bets, anyone?

where is that? sounds fun. "log lift" is log press?

I don't think thats as fair due to the weights were talking about the % is going to be all messed up

What type of hub are we talking about also? Ironmind hubs vary big time for myself and some plates will vary a lot also. If we are talking the ironmind hub 44 guys of 60 lifted over 45lbs at king kong which has been the biggest contest using the hub. One of these guys was only about 145lbs and he lifted nearly 66lbs. I don't know if he could bench 225 but it would be over 1.5x his bw. I think in general you can't compare different lifts to each other easily at all. 45lbs I would say is a very solid number though as is a 225lb bench. Though very different and if you could do one you might not do the other and vice versa.

Could very long fingers comprimise the hub lift?

I seem to suck at the hub. It seems shorter fingers

would create less leverage in this lift.

I've heard people with extra large hands can struggle at the hub. This is purely heresy, however.

Well my hands are strong but with very long

fingers and the added leverage to the finger tips

It makes sense. Its by far my worst lift

Lol maybe i will trade you my left hand for your right?

That way i have my stong hand and yours lol

I'm not so sure. I actually started a thread on this like a year ago.

Thing is, I have very large hands, with long thin fingers, but proportionally, hub lifting has probably been my best grip lift. At my best I was doing 65 for doubles. So... I don't know.

Yea i also have not trained much i got

42lbs on my 2nd try. Have not trained with

it much healed up.