Diy Kettlebell

hellswindstaff

Would any of you DIY types have any reserves about putting this overhead in any fashion, even with more weight on it, assuming that there is a collar that wouldn't slip and the threading is welded together?

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcaqku7eiGVAhi-jZ4g5xXs8tA0Gjm0jRsEXt7OGGE8W2bi8CzFg

Edited by hellswindstaff

Well what if rather then a collar you had a few different holes drilled in the pipe weights were on and pull a bolt through the hole to hold the bolts on. Doing that would insure all the swinging and possible dropping wouldn't make the weights loose or the collar fly off.

• Like 1

I think if you welded it, it would be fine. I'd do a muffler clamp for a collar. They are bomb proof for my water pipe dumbbells.

• 2 weeks later...

I went a different direction for homemade ones.

I just used an old triceps bar and cut it half. I use a hose clamp to keep things in place.

I made these about 6 years ago and just painted them to leave them outside with my log and sled.

For a cheap set-up they do the job.

(The red ball is a shot-put I use to warm up the hands)

post-8396-0-13376000-1407079688_thumb.jp

Any update on this? Did you end up making something?

I actually ended up just running a chain through 6-10lbs plates and also a PVC for the handle. There is play in the chain so it's actually harder to press than a real kettlebell, but I like it! However, I wouldn't recommend it for snatching because I could see the play in the chain being a problem, but swings on the other hand could work.

Edited by hellswindstaff