The 2016 Southern Squeeze Grip Competition

Squeezus

I was wondering if you have settled on a pinch block size?

It will likely be 2.25". If you train for that, you will be prepared.

Gilbert, would you prefer to use the Euro 1HP if someone could bring one?

Sounds like a cool competition, I may have to knock the dust off my grip stuff and see how out of shape I am. Is this going to be a sanctioned

event with calibrated stuff or a friendly competition?

This will be a friendly contest, as there will be a lot of people new to the sport present. There will be a range of people of all skill levels. We'd love to have you out. It's going to be a great time!

I was wondering if you have settled on a pinch block size?

It will likely be 2.25". If you train for that, you will be prepared.

Gilbert, would you prefer to use the Euro 1HP if someone could bring one?

Bob, I actually own a Euro (Napalm Pinch) but for logistics reasons, I will be using a different (fixed) device. I will get some pictures and stats on the device up soon.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to know what the pinch block is going to be exactly.

Not saying it will happen or not, but if everything works out on my end, I may be able to come to this event.

This is going to be the last time I will have a chance to compete before my kid is born.

• Like 3

Not saying it will happen or not, but if everything works out on my end, I may be able to come to this event.

This is going to be the last time I will have a chance to compete before my kid is born.

Yes!

I have a picture of the block that we will be using at The Southern Squeeze. It is approximately the same radius as a 45 plate, 2.25" thick and made out of strong aluminum alloy. It weighs 2lbs and connects to the top of a loading pin. It has a texture applied to the gripping surface to mimic seasoning, since it does not corrode. I'm calling it The Flask. More information on them soon to come. ;)

WGiIXIs.jpg?1

• Like 7

Looks like everything is clear on my end. Form and payment are sent off.

See you guys next month!

• Like 3

"The Flask" haha...awesome. Looks inviting.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! A couple updates for ya!

Here is the list of registrants as of today:

Josh Koenig

Deborah Marshall

Jared Goguen

Jonathan Gordon

Chad Overcast

Euclides Ramos

John Ezra McCarter IV

Leah Gilliam

Delmar Carter

Robert Lawrence Sundin

PJ Olsen

David Thornton

Warren Reeder

James Retarides

Jeremy Copley

Cole Copley

Brenda Taylor

Jason Otto

Jor-el Koenig

Shawn Kapusta

Jenn Miller

Gary Tyler

Stuart Justin Kline

Also, here is an image of the back of the shirts that all competitors will receive (they will also be available for sale after the event:
n7ghqkc.png

Lastly, for the sake of determining event records and qualification for Nationals, standard IPF weight classes will be used, but our weight divisions for event placing and prizes (since the event is relatively small) will be:

Mens: Lightweight (59kg, 66kg, 74kg, 83kg), Middleweight (93kg, 105kg), Heavyweight(120kg, 120kg+)
Womens: Open (47kg, 52kg, 57kg, 63kg, 72kg, 84kg, 84kg+)

Based on current signups, this will give us the most even distribution of competitors.

We will also be having two separate medleys, one for men and one for women. It's still not to late to sign up, we will be accepting registrants up until the rules announcement at 9:30am on the day of the competition. See you there!

Edited by Squeezus
  • Like 2

Looks like there is a clear demand for grip sport contests in your area! Great stuff!

Hey guys! A couple updates for ya!

Here is the list of registrants as of today:

Josh Koenig

Deborah Marshall

Jared Goguen

Jonathan Gordon

Chad Overcast

Euclides Ramos

John Ezra McCarter IV

Leah Gilliam

Delmar Carter

Robert Lawrence Sundin

PJ Olsen

David Thornton

Warren Reeder

James Retarides

Jeremy Copley

Cole Copley

Brenda Taylor

Jason Otto

Jor-el Koenig

Shawn Kapusta

Jenn Miller

Gary Tyler

Stuart Justin Kline

Also, here is an image of the back of the shirts that all competitors will receive (they will also be available for sale after the event:

n7ghqkc.png

Lastly, for the sake of determining event records and qualification for Nationals, standard IPF weight classes will be used, but our weight divisions for event placing and prizes (since the event is relatively small) will be:

Mens: Lightweight (59kg, 66kg, 74kg, 83kg), Middleweight (93kg, 105kg), Heavyweight(120kg, 120kg+)

Womens: Open (47kg, 52kg, 57kg, 63kg, 72kg, 84kg, 84kg+)

Based on current signups, this will give us the most even distribution of competitors.

We will also be having two separate medleys, one for men and one for women. It's still not to late to sign up, we will be accepting registrants up until the rules announcement at 9:30am on the day of the competition. See you there!

That's not really "small" as Grip comps go - that's a great turnout! Looking forward to seeing the results!

• Like 1

That's not really "small" as Grip comps go - that's a great turnout! Looking forward to seeing the results!

Hopefully there will be more contests like this.

I need to get me one of those Shirts, Gil. Can I buy one, if I don't make it to the comp?

I need to get me one of those Shirts, Gil. Can I buy one, if I don't make it to the comp?

You sure can, Brother.

I'd love to buy one.

I'd actually love to come to the comp too. Maybe next year!

More updates!

Current list of registrants:

Josh Koenig

Deborah Marshall

Jared Goguen

Jonathan Gordon

Chad Overcast

Euclides Ramos

John Ezra McCarter IV

Leah Gilliam

Delmar Carter

Robert Lawrence Sundin

PJ Olsen

David Thornton

Warren Reeder

James Retarides

Jeremy Copley

Cole Copley

Brenda Taylor

Jason Otto

Jor-el Koenig

Shawn Kapusta

Jenn Miller

Gary Tyler Stuart

Justin Kline

Rico Martinez

Dayne Geyer

Grayson Pickett

Jacob Newman

Matt Dolson

Additionally, I have put together a rules list for anyone interested: http://www.barrelstrengthsystems.com/the-southern-squeeze/rules

Let me know if you have any questions.

Edited by Squeezus
  • Like 1

dam. that is a hell of a turnout. Congrats. Are you using two event setups like at nationals? Just curious because comps usually take a real long time when you have 20+ people.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

dam. that is a hell of a turnout. Congrats. Are you using two event setups like at nationals? Just curious because comps usually take a real long time when you have 20+ people.

Thanks, Chez. We are probably going to double up the platforms to speed things up. We are going to have 4 judges, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Lots of new names to me and some very strong old timers coming. This should be a terrific comp!!!

• Like 4

I have a picture of the block that we will be using at The Southern Squeeze. It is approximately the same radius as a 45 plate, 2.25" thick and made out of strong aluminum alloy. It weighs 2lbs and connects to the top of a loading pin. It has a texture applied to the gripping surface to mimic seasoning, since it does not corrode. I'm calling it The Flask. More information on them soon to come. ;)

WGiIXIs.jpg?1

why don't you sand blast it, and it will always hold the chalk, and you won't have to worry about texture paint coming off.

WGiIXIs.jpg?1

why don't you sand blast it, and it will always hold the chalk, and you won't have to worry about texture paint coming off.

It is sanded with a rough grit to apply the texture. No coating involved. Great minds think alike 😉.