Gripmas 2015

climber511

Here is the footage I got of the Axle event. Started around the 350lb point. Before that I was consuming my 2nd or 3rd meal and pounding fluids.

Let the Medley footage begin. Medleys are one of the funnest parts of a contest for me. Chris put together one of the hardest Medleys I've ever had to do. Many people completed less than 10 items, so perhaps a bit too hard.

Here's Luke Raymond

• Like 1

Here's my Medley run. I remember I was unable to get the #3 TNS, the 300lb Tips Tester, and the double Scale Weights. At this point I was in 3rd place, roughly half a point behind Andrew and a full point behind Kody (estimations).

Here is Andrew's run. I was blown away with how easy it was for him to pick up the 300lbs Tips Tester. I knew he'd get it, but didn't think it would look so easy!

• Like 2

Kody was sitting in first place, so he hit the Medley run last.

Like I said, this Medley was super hard. I think a big part of why I was so blown up at the end was I struggled at the bends, especially the Braced Bend. It felt like my pants were shifting on me, so I couldn't get the drive I wanted. Looking back, I wish I would have thrown my jeans on for the Medley. Hindsight is 20/20, right...

• Like 2

With the contest events over, it was time to tally the results and eat. I switched into feat mode. Bob brought his pair of 25kg plates, and I couldn't wait to try them.

I want to point out the Jake Sahlaney broke these monsters off the ground every bit as far as me. Dude has some serious skills. He has improved every single year he has been to Gripmas, and I think at Nationals this year he's got a good chance to be a contender.

• Like 1

I believe the next challenge item to find it's way into the "grip arena" was the 100-lb plate that Andrew Pantke owns. It's a giant standard-size disk. I've tried pinching things like it before and always failed because it is too narrow for me. I failed once again. But, Kody did not.

You can bet I will be including more narrow pinch in my training from now on.

• Like 1

Look mom, I placed in a big time Grip Competition...

You can easily find my name…

It is on the bottom.

I have been so busy these last days I have not even started to attempt to write a post event report, but as my first big grip contest trip -- This was a great experience!

There are so many things to be grateful for and people to thank, but I feel the need to thank a few people off the top of the list;

1) Nathaniel Brous – for convincing me I needed to attend this event, and being a great traveling companion.

2) My wife -- for not only letting me take the trip, but also letting me skip a big family holiday dinner.

4) Chris Rice – for creating and continuing to host this great event. He even opened his door to me [and Nataniel] the night before the contest to see his gym and talk strength.

Note: If you look at people’s competition pictures, you will see Chris Rice in the background in almost every one of them.

This was my first time meeting Chris, but it seemed to me he was not observing everyone as a fellow competitor. Instead, it was the look of pure pride.

5) Teresa Rice – for also creating this event, and keeping it a family atmosphere. She cooked us all breakfast and was very welcoming. She acted like she had known me for years.

6) Sean Rice, Nick and Brent -- for spending a very long day as judges.

While some competitors might be sore the day after Gripmas, when you think about the amount of weight these three guys handled throughout the day, they are the true juggernauts of Gripmas.

7) Luke Raymond – For being a good pal in saving me during the Axle lift.

It was my first time doing it, and I almost made my fist attempted weight lower then the weight that I was lifting on the practice axle set up.

Luke literally stopped me on the platform and pointed this out. It could have been at real rookie mistake.

8) Anthony Clarino – for treating me not like a competitor, but more like a training partner. His help in the Gripper and 2HP was very helpful and appreciated.

9) Chris Andre – another competitor who treated me like a training partner for the entire day.

Did anyone else know that guy was really Tank in disguise? ;)

10) Jedd – for we all know your part prowrestler and part teacher.

11) Your name could go here – Did anyone take any video of me in that medley?

During the day, I was walking around with my video camera just taking small snippets of video, but I was also trying to keep myself from getting too much chalk into the camera.

When it came time for the medley, I figured I could not lift a single one of the objects and because I went first, I was able to get most of the chalk off my hands and record everyone else’s medley. I even recorded Chris’s medley rules explanation. Unfortunately, I did not leave the camera somewhere to record my own medley.

At some point, I promise I will get my medley video onto the internet, but please do not hold your breath guys.

While I do TV camera for a living, computers and editing are not my thing. I bought that little camera to record my first son after he was born. He is now 7 years old, and I have never put any of his video into the computer either.

That said, I always save the tapes, and do not reuse them.

Anyway I regress,

Thanks again to everyone involved with Gripmas 2015 and happy holidays to you all.

rich

P.S.

I just had to add the word “Gripmas” into my spell checker. I guess it is time to start writing some sort of event recap... but not till I hit the weights again.

My prep for next year started two days ago!

• Like 4

Just want to say that gripmas has become my favorite contest to go to! It's not only one of the toughest places to compete but is hands down the most exciting. It really feels like a big family all just hanging out and having a good time while throwing around some serious iron and bending some steal. I just want to thank Chris and Teresa for hosting and opening up their home to everyone, you guys are amazing people. Thanks to everyone that helped judge and keep things going at a good pace, we couldn't of done it with out your help. Thank you to all the sponsors that supplied the awards. It's awesome to know you'll always leave gripmas with some sweet equipment.

This year there was a large group of guys. And having Jedd,Kody, and Andrew competing I knew it was going to be a battle. Trying to catch up too all these guys always gives me the motivation to train even harder.

Kody congrats on the WR man!!! I knew once I heard you were competing that record was toast.

Jedd great job on the win! Looks like you took over grip for 2015!! Great work man. And everyone else great job on all the performances and WR's. It was honestly and awesome experience to witness all those great feats of strength.

Can't wait to see what's in store for all of us next year. Till then, I hope everyone keeps training hard

Thanks Jake !! Nice work !!

I must ever so politely disagree with the last statement. No one is even remotely close to Kody pound-for-pound. Remember Kody is just one weight class above that of Bob. Plugging in the numbers in eg Wilk's formula and its crystal clear who is the #1 pinch lifter on the planet. How can anyone place Kody anywhere other than in the #1 spot after that epic 2x25k hold? Bob is definitely amongst the very top pinch lifters pound-for-pound but Kody is in a class of his own.

An awesome contest followed by an unreal after show - like WOW! Tons of BW pinches done - a couple new WRs - strong performances by quite a few people - and did I mention the after show was really really crazy? :)

And Bob Sundin may be the best pound for pound pincher on the planet.

Thanks for the respect Mikael !!

Hats off to Jedd for capturing all the footage for us. Thanks man !!

You're welcome.

I think this might be the final video - the Coulter Bell.

You all think Andrew Durniat is such a nice guy. Watch what he does to me in this video! LOL

• Like 1

Placings and Prizes following the Gripmas contest.

• Like 1

Realized I never edited and uploaded my own attempts on the Two Hands Pinch while I was working on the blog post for the contest.

Placings and Prizes

Thanks to all those who sponsored the event. Maybe someone can list everyone who sponsored?

• Sponsors
  • Chris
  • Nick Rosendaul
  • Luke
  • Jedd
  • Andrew
  • Kody
  • Aaron
  • Cannon Power Works
  • I feel like I'm missing someone but it's not coming to me - sorry

(Jedd added CPW)

• Like 1

• Sponsors
  • Chris
  • Nick Rosendaul
  • Luke
  • Jedd
  • Andrew
  • Kody
  • Aaron

CPW!

Remider that Gripmas contestants get free ratings! One person asked and, yes, we'll help you out on Rate and Return if you're going to pay shipping.

Also, did anyone at Gripmas end up with a CPW Setting card that was signed by me on the back..?

• Like 1

• Sponsors
  • Chris
  • Nick Rosendaul
  • Luke
  • Jedd
  • Andrew
  • Kody
  • Aaron

CPW!

Remider that Gripmas contestants get free ratings! One person asked and, yes, we'll help you out on Rate and Return if you're going to pay shipping.

Also, did anyone at Gripmas end up with a CPW Setting card that was signed by me on the back..?

Crap - I'm sorry Matt - Cannon Power Works also sponsored. But I'm still missing someone I'm sure. Darn old man memory :)

Maybe the Andrew's was plural?

I apologize - Again! FBBC/ Andrew Pantke - and I'm still sure I'm missing someone :)

• 4 weeks later...

With a HUGE Thank You to Aaron - all Gripmas results are now up on the Top 50 lists - please check it out - and let me know of any mistakes.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Gracie is fixed and back - spent a little time rubbing chalk into the handle. After the guy welded it - he ground the welds smooth and polished the handle section :). Smooth and slick - I'll have to spend some time rubbing chalk into it - I'm sure it will be fine before long. As for now - it's tough LOL.

• Like 5

Gracie is fixed and back - spent a little time rubbing chalk into the handle. After the guy welded it - he ground the welds smooth and polished the handle section :). Smooth and slick - I'll have to spend some time rubbing chalk into it - I'm sure it will be fine before long. As for now - it's tough LOL.

He is helping you grow stronger.

He is helping you grow stronger.

I need all the help I can get :)