Starting Planning For Az Cactus Grip 6 - 2013

acorn

One hand deadlift? Either a ring or something would be cool.

Has the 4th event been decided?

Not decided yet. Still have a few things in mind. We got some time, focus on the basics and you will do fine.

- Aaron

We found out the hard way that ring is not the best thing to be maxing out on if you haven't been training for it. Back in the spring, Derek, Zach, Aaron, and I all maxed out on it. At least three of us lost some skin, and I think Aaron bruised a finger. No biggie, but if some AW folks, powerlifters, etc. show up and do it, they might not be prepared for that.

However, if you want to do Plateau Buster 1 hand DLs, I have one I can bring.

Not decided yet. Still have a few things in mind. We got some time, focus on the basics and you will do fine.

- Aaron

No problemo. I'll be training hub regardless.

We found out the hard way that ring is not the best thing to be maxing out on if you haven't been training for it. Back in the spring, Derek, Zach, Aaron, and I all maxed out on it. At least three of us lost some skin, and I think Aaron bruised a finger. No biggie, but if some AW folks, powerlifters, etc. show up and do it, they might not be prepared for that.

However, if you want to do Plateau Buster 1 hand DLs, I have one I can bring.

- Aaron

No problemo. I'll be training hub regardless.

Ok, Yep that ring was fun. The 2H Vbar fence post pull would be a fun event. I'm concerned about the safety of it though with a max effort pull. The pulling position on it requires at least one arm to be bent somewhat. That could put an awful lot of tension on a bicep tendon in my opinion and I don't want anyone having to take a trip to the hospital mid comp with a tendon rupture. So that one is prolly out.

We could do something James Bond - "Skyfall" - inspired - timed hangs on the side of a shipping container, or from an elevator chassis. :sorcerer: Ok, not really.

• 2 weeks later...

Putting in the vacation now assuming it's still on like donkey kong for 3/16. I plan on arriving a day early on Thursday to relax in Phoenix, then will head down Friday night or Saturday for the comp, then I plan to stay in Tucson after the comp for the evening, then can head back up on Sunday to Phoenix for a day, and then fly out on Monday. (Run-on sentence :trout ) I'm planning to have more time to have beers with you guys with the extra time in Phoenix and Tucson.

• Like 5

How is the 4th event panning out?

I still have a short list of possible contenders. Too much going on right now to put too much thought towards it until after the first of the year. Whatever we end up doing will be fun though.

- Aaron

I still think you should spring it on us right before or at the comp. :devil

• Like 1

That is a definately a leading contender for 4th event. Would give me some time to try and make a couple of the new pieces of equipment I'm considering and try them out to see if they may be contest worthy.

- Aaron

• Like 1

That is a definately a leading contender for 4th event. Would give me some time to try and make a couple of the new pieces of equipment I'm considering and try them out to see if they may be contest worthy.

- Aaron

Some sort of random draw to spring it on everyone would be interesting.

• Like 1

Right now I need to finish soldering up the xmas presents for the wife and kiddo before I think about anything else though. Wifes' gift needs some woodwork to finish it too. Argh, never enough time.

On a side note, how are grippers going Martin? Still going well?

- Aaron

Grippers are still going well. I haven't tested anything lately, but I can tell just from the work sets that things are progressing. How are yours progressing?

Grippers are still going well. I haven't tested anything lately, but I can tell just from the work sets that things are progressing. How are yours progressing?
Pretty well I think also based on worksets. I've been sick for a few days so I missed my Sunday workout and finally did it today. Tried last night but the Trainer was tough lefty and #2 Righty so I bagged it and hit it today at lunch. Today was on track but nothing spectacular so that is pretty good on the heels of being sick as a dog. Feeling it deep in the forearm flexors already.

- Aaron

Right now I need to finish soldering up the xmas presents for the wife and kiddo before I think about anything else though. Wifes' gift needs some woodwork to finish it too. Argh, never enough time.

I'd offer my woodworking services, but I'm behind on my xmas present construction as well. Got some spatulas done, but I'm under the gun to get 2 wine stoppers turned before Friday.

I'd offer my woodworking services, but I'm behind on my xmas present construction as well. Got some spatulas done, but I'm under the gun to get 2 wine stoppers turned before Friday.

Appreciate it. I just need to make a simple wood case to cover the electronics. Its an RF - composite converter so she can play her Atari 2600 on our TV. I had to gut a thrift store ancient VCR to get the stuff needed to bridge old and new. I can prolly get it done in time. btw old skool Atari on a big ass TV is pretty awesome if you are into that sort of thing. For the kiddo I'm almost done with the electronic jar of fireflies.

- Aaron

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got the final ok from my wife for the date last night. So we are on like Donkey Kong.

- Aaron

• Like 3

Just bought the tickets! Allegiant Air is doing $60 flights.

Coming in Phoenix Fri night. Will drive down to the comp Sat and will stay in Tucson Sat. (anyone know where the GF and I can stay the night?) Then we'll drive back to Phoenix Sunday and have the whole day there. Then fly out Monday night. This gives time to hang with Tucson peeps on Sat and Phoenix peeps on Sun.

• Like 2

I have informed my wife a couple times, I will be sure to reminder her :shuriken:

Looking to get a rough estimate of who is thinking about coming to the comp to determine if there are going to be enough people to consider more than just a single Open Division as well as whether there would be enough to justify dealing with T-shirt creation and printing costs. If there are enough guys maybe we will run a novice division again as well. At this point no other Elite level guys besides myself have expressed any interest in coming out for this so it may be just me again in an Elite division to allow the rest of you guys to duke it out. Comments?

Daniel, Jason has first dibs on staying with us but if for some reason does not you and your GF are welcome to stay in our guest bedroom while you are down.

- Aaron