Ironmind - Viking Vise Grip Challenge, La Fitexpo

andurniat

Looking forward to hosting you in LA.....Open to suggestions as to implements to include in the Pinch Grip Medley...I am looking to have some block weights made, and will definitely include blob, 45lb plate hub, heavier IronMind hub lift, 2 handed pinch...and whatever else I can find in the garage.. :) Please attached 2012 Vise Grip Viking Challenge Concept Rules v1.pdfrules and entry form.

2012 Vise Grip Viking Entry Form.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

http://ironmind.com/...ip_Contest.html

Just posted on Ironmind. Looks to be fun. RT and Axle together will be fun. I'm interested to hear what will be in the pinch medley.

I look to make the trip. Hope to see some others there.

Andrew, just crunched the cost, I will see you in LA :-)

Odd I'll send in my registration this weekend.

What is holding the 2HP from becoming a grip event in EVERY major contest? It's the best test of pinch strength out there. The thickness is adjustable, almost noone complains of handsize, and it's been around for so long. Don't get me wrong, medleys are much more fun to watch for the audience, but it would be nice to see what the grip monsters do with an actual Euro pinch device and not just blobs and plates.

This looks great anyways and can't wait to see footage! :)

What is holding the 2HP from becoming a grip event in EVERY major contest? It's the best test of pinch strength out there. The thickness is adjustable, almost noone complains of handsize, and it's been around for so long. Don't get me wrong, medleys are much more fun to watch for the audience, but it would be nice to see what the grip monsters do with an actual Euro pinch device and not just blobs and plates.

This looks great anyways and can't wait to see footage! :)

The difference between a good event like the Euro pinch in a normal contest and on the main stage is the "show" aspect. The 2HP simply isn't very spectator friendly. It's perhaps the single best test of what it is but it's boring to a spectator who is not "into" the sport - they have no real way to relate to it. It also takes a long time to do with a large number of competitors. Recent changes to the apparatus have helped in that regard but it will probably never be something you see at the Arnold or other Expos.

The difference between a good event like the Euro pinch in a normal contest and on the main stage is the "show" aspect. The 2HP simply isn't very spectator friendly. It's perhaps the single best test of what it is but it's boring to a spectator who is not "into" the sport - they have no real way to relate to it. It also takes a long time to do with a large number of competitors. Recent changes to the apparatus have helped in that regard but it will probably never be something you see at the Arnold or other Expos.

I agree, and I did mention the medleys were more spectator friendly. As for the time issue: maybe it could be done in Last Man Standing format?

• 3 weeks later...

Sent my entry form in today.

The new rules form that Odd sent me today says the event is just Sunday. I asked to confirm; will probably hear back tomorrow.

Edited by daniel reinard

Daniel -

Yes, that's the plan—strongman on Saturday and grip on Sunday.

I finally bought my plane ticket and have assumed we will be done by mid-afternoon on Sunday . . . otherwise, I'll have to skip town with the prize money (just kidding).

We're planning to run the Crushed-to-Dust! Challenge on Saturday morning and we've got a certification attempt (ahem) or two on the books as well, so there should be lots of fun stuff to watch and do if you like grip strength and will be in Los Angeles January 28-29.

Looking forward to seeing you there.

Daniel -

Yes, that's the plan—strongman on Saturday and grip on Sunday.

Thank you Randall. Looks to be a big lineup for the event.

• 2 weeks later...

Any news?

It's only 7 in the morning in California - patience! :grin:

Any news?

:grin: OK!

The grip comp is tomorrow, Sunday. We'll be headed to the expo and I look to witness Daniel's Red Nail cert. I'll send updates as I can.

Any news?

:grin: OK!

The grip comp is tomorrow, Sunday. We'll be headed to the expo and I look to witness Daniel's Red Nail cert. I'll send updates as I can.

Good luck

Andrew!

From last year's competition, unfortunately, not all the video was made, I hope this year will be more complete video footage.

Well, What happened? I bet it was a battle!

Edited by ADurniat

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/Articles/2012/Jan/Mark_Felix_Wins_the_Visegrip_Viking_Challenge.html

It was a fun comp. My plan was to not come in last and I did a hair better than that so mission accomplished. My savior was the 2nd place tie in the pinch medley and 4th in the #3 Bullet hold.

The big surprise was Burke. He was an absolute beast the whole way through. And maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but he doesn't have any grip specific background. To put it into perspective they did the All American Strongman comp the day before then they went after a grip contest with no experience. In the pinch medley was my slick 52# fatman and my 65# legacy blob. Many guys lifted the fatman and I think 3 lifted the 65# blob onto the 10" platform. That is truly amazing. Burke is going to do very well in the Mighty Mitts.

http://www.ironmind...._Challenge.html

It was a fun comp. My plan was to not come in last and I did a hair better than that so mission accomplished. My savior was the 2nd place tie in the pinch medley and 4th in the #3 Bullet hold.

The big surprise was Burke. He was an absolute beast the whole way through. And maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but he doesn't have any grip specific background. To put it into perspective they did the All American Strongman comp the day before then they went after a grip contest with no experience. In the pinch medley was my slick 52# fatman and my 65# legacy blob. Many guys lifted the fatman and I think 3 lifted the 65# blob onto the 10" platform. That is truly amazing. Burke is going to do very well in the Mighty Mitts.

Dan - Mike Burke trains with Brian Shaw and they do a fair amount of playing around with grip toys from the way it sounds. Karl was betting on him Sunday but I took Felix and won $5. Mike told me Sunday morning that him and Shaw are both cleaning the Inch but can't clean and press it yet. I don't think he really knows how strong his hands really are - not hard to believe when you are training with Shaw who in my opinion is tied with Rich Williams for the strongest set of hands in the world.

Wade

Edited by Wade Gillingham

Dan - Mike Burke trains with Brian Shaw and they do a fair amount of playing around with grip toys from the way it sounds. Karl was betting on him Sunday but I took Felix and won $5. Mike told me Sunday morning that him and Shaw are both cleaning the Inch but can't clean and press it yet. I don't think he really knows how strong his hands really are - not hard to believe when you are training with Shaw who in my opinion is tied with Rich Williams for the strongest set of hands in the world.

Wade

Oh ok, thanks Wade. That explains why he was so darn impressive.

Kudos on the $5. That was a good pick.

http://www.ironmind...._Challenge.html

Wade

why didn't shaw do the contest? He is quite the specimen being 6'8 and like 430lbs. How big are shaws hands?

Was it a "anything goes" type of contest as far as lifting the implements? Side blob lifting was a new one I have not seen before.