Starting Strength Log

dlewis8589

Hey, wanted to ask that how wide the starting gap is on grippers when you do them (are these wide range closes or)?

Thanks in advance!

J.

They are all parallel set closes unless otherwise stated.

Your welcome!

7/28/2014

Squat: 5x5-165lbs

Strict Standing OHP: 5x5-95lbs

Continental Clean: 5x3-112lbs

So I changed my mind and decided to move on from starting strength, the workouts were getting too intense and I just really wanted to do something else. So I ordered my first axle from rogue on friday, and decided to start using a Texas Method template today. All in all I am very happy with my SS gains and can't wait to take it further.

The axle…. This thing is awesome! I kind of have a love-hate thing though, the cleans were MUCH harder (obviously), and that last set took everything I had. I loved them though because of how strong they'll make me. After I finished the cleans and rested a minute I wanted to do some axle Deadlifts but figured I shouldn't over-do it my first time. Oh and all my OHPs' have been strict standing, just felt like specifying.

• Like 1

I would consider doing cont. clean AND press, put these motions together, and start adding in assistance work like single arm dumbbell push presses, sandbag shouldering and carries (buy the 50-70lb bags you get to weigh your car down and duck tape them together), rack pulls, heavy beltless holds with a barbell after you unrack it like a squat, and double over barbell holds for time. This is good general prep for strongman events

• Like 1

Oh and switch to push pressing. Keep flat bench in, especially because you don't like it. It will save your shoulders for overhead work and build the starting strength you need to push the weight. Maybe move your bench in to match your overhead grip. Trust me on this.

7/29/2014

Cuban Rotations: 3x10-10lbs

Band Pull Aparts: 2x15- 3lb yellow band (folded in half)

Underhand Band Pull Aparts: 2x15- 3lb yellow band (folded in half)

Bicep Curls: 1x8- 25lbs

2x8-20lbs

I would consider doing cont. clean AND press, put these motions together, and start adding in assistance work like single arm dumbbell push presses, sandbag shouldering and carries (buy the 50-70lb bags you get to weigh your car down and duck tape them together), rack pulls, heavy beltless holds with a barbell after you unrack it like a squat, and double over barbell holds for time. This is good general prep for strongman events

Oh and switch to push pressing. Keep flat bench in, especially because you don't like it. It will save your shoulders for overhead work and build the starting strength you need to push the weight. Maybe move your bench in to match your overhead grip. Trust me on this.

Thanks as always for the advice Matt, I guess it makes sense to do the press with the clean as I've never seen an axle clean event lol. If you wouldn't mind, I have a few questions though.

When you say switch to push pressing, you don't mean to drop strict press, do you?

I'm a little confused on your reasoning to keep flat bench in, but you said to trust you, and I can live with close grip flat bench(same grip as overhead) so i'll put them in. If I recall correctly it was the strain on my wrist being the reason I didn't like flat bench, so maybe the axle will help with that.

So my original pressing frequency was going to be M:Strict OHP 3-5x5/W:Strict OHP 3x8-12/F: Push Press 6x3/ New 1-5RM.

Would M: C&P 5x3, CG Bench 5x5/W: Strict OHP 3-5x5, F: Same, be better?

I was also going to add another thick bar lift on monday, either rack pulls or rows. Cant really do DB presses, as I only have up to 30lbs DB's.

Last thing, how do I go about implementing the things you said in your first post?

Thanks bud!

7/30/2014

Pistol Squat: 5x1-10lbs

Front squat: 3x3-150lbs

Strict Standing Overhead Press: 4x5-97.5lbs

Pull Ups: 3x5-BW+5lbs

Grippers: Would rather not say….

DH Thumbscrew 2-thumb closes: COC #1.5-1x5

COC #1-1x10

COC #T(FULL range closes)-1x25,1x19,1x14

Wrist Curls: 3x12-25lbs

I decided that i'd like to learn how to pistol squat. I don't plan on going crazy at all with them, but i'd like to be able to bust out a couple sets as a warmup to squats or grippers, and to keep my general mobility good. Holding onto a light dumbbell helps you to keep balance when working on them.

I really hope that today was just a genuine off day with grippers, and had nothing to do with the cleans on monday

Edited by dlewis8589

I do mean drop the strict press, you should work on coordinating your legs with your press and it's good to do it ASAP. Your bench will take the place of the strict OHP in developing static strength and starting strength off the shoulders. Keeping bench in also makes you a well rounded athlete. When you bench press make sure you grip the bar as hard as you can, and if there is discomfort add in forearm curls and reverse forearm curls to build muscle and tendon strength in the area.

Your frequency might need some adjusting, I would suggest something like

Monday: bench, sandbag/log/keg clean & press, upper back work, rotator cuff work

Tuesday: squat, obscene heavy high squat off rack pins for reps w/ beltless hold, car pushing/sandbag carry/sandbag loading, core work, grippers or grip event

Thursday: axle clean & press, circus dumbbell/strict overhead press, triceps work, rear delt work

Saturday: deadlift, front squat/axle rack pulls, double over barbell holds (pick from high pins), sandbag carry/sandbag loading, upper back work, biceps work

Besides buying four or five 50 to 70# sandbags for about 6 dollars each at a local hardware store and a few rolls of duck tape, a loadable dumbbell that can hold at least 3 25# plates will be extremely valuable at increasing your overhead strength. I would consider it essential strongman equipment. I've found sets of plates and handles at garage sales for free that can get past 100#! Collect heavy junk basically :) heavy tires for flipping are free, and nobody misses field stones too.

• Like 1

Ehh, thanks again Matt, but I think i'm gonna stick with my original plan with-out all that sandbag loading, keg pressing and circus dumbbells, and I was raised to be against cleans and presses mixing….

Lol, you know Matt I really didn't think I was ready to start doing stuff like that, but I guess thats just because it feels like i'm 100 years away from competing. Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction and giving me a simple template to start off with. I'm gonna make some sandbags this weekend and be hunting for some kegs and dumbbell handles of all sizes. I'm gonna think about program specifics over the next couple days but i really do like that template.

7/31/2014

Band Pull aparts: 2x15- 3lb yellow band(folded in half)

DB Strict Curl: 3x10- 20lbs

DB Cuban Rotations: 1x10- 6lbs

1x12- 10lbs

Plate Cuban Rotations: 1x12- 7.5lbs

1x12- 5lbs

1x20- 3.75lbs

Reverse Wrist Curl: 3x15- 15lbs

Underhand Band Pull aparts: 1x15- 3lb yellow band(folded in half)

Extensors: Flex-Ex Bands(Blue/Red/Yellow)- 3x30

Real good pre-hab workout, need to be more consistent with them. The plate c/rotations were harder than expected, really pumped my thumb up.

I forgot to address your last question. Each line is a step in the program.

- I would switch from 3x5 to 3x3 until you stall again on the weights. Then go for a single after a full week off of the main lifts.

-Next cycle in higher rep work and set rep prs starting in the 12-15 rep range (which you have never done before) and slowly go heavier until your reps get down into the 1-5 rep range again.

Example: Week 1 - 1 set of 12-15 reps (use rep max calculator to find out which weight to use), Week 2 - 3x5 (last rep of third set should be near exhaustion), Week 3 - 1 set of 12-15 reps, Week 4- 3x3, repeat with 2.5 to 5 pounds added

-When you stall take a week off the main lifts, and go for another single trying to beat your last 1RM.

-Start with the rep work again, only this time including sub-maximal 5x5 work (which will be a pr for you since you have been doing 3x5) which you can alternate with your higher rep workouts.

Example: Week 1 - 1 set of 12-15 reps, Week 2 - 5x5, Week 3 - 1 set of 8-12 reps, Week 4 - 3x5, Week 5 - 1 set of 6-10 reps, Week 6 - 3x3, repeat with 2.5 to 5 pounds added

-Take a week off the main lifts and set a 3rd 1RM

-Start an alternation of rep workouts, volume workouts, speed/dynamic workouts, and 1-5 max workouts in that order.

Example: Week 1 - 1 set of 12-15 reps, Week 2 - 5x5, Week 3 - 50-70%1RMx12x3, Week 4 - 1x5, Week 5 - 1 set of 8-12 reps, Week 6 - 3x5, Week 7 - 50-70%1RM x12x3, Week 8 - 1x3, Week 9 - 1 set of 6-10 reps, Week 10 - 3x3, Week 11 - 50-70%1RMx12x3, Week 12 - 1x1, repeat with 2.5-5lbs added

8/3/2014

DO Deadlift: 1x5-245lbs

DO Axle Rack Pulls: 3x3-225lbs(8 second hold each rep)

Sandbag Loading: 3x10-70lbs

Pullups: 1x7,2x5-BW

DB Strict Curl: 1x10,1x5-20lbs (was so tired by then)

So I made a sandbag today. Bought 120lbs of pea gravel from Lowes, and a canvas laundry bag from BB&Byond. It took the rest of my money to do so I could only get one bag, but next week i'm gonna make a few more. Wanted to just feel out loading them so I just stuck with 70lbs. I loaded them over my dip stands handle because it is chest high for me (i'm exactly 6'), and focused on going as fast as possible loading in one motion(and form, of course….). I learned that I have no conditioning what so ever, at the end of the third set I was huffing and puffing like I just ran 5 miles, and it was not because it was too heavy. So I decided I'm going to be doing sand bag stuff for volume until i've got some sort of something resembling cardiovascular endurance.

I've also decided that for the next 2-3 months i'm going to drop all gripper work and focus on axle, thumb, forearm and wrist training. I've been doing grippers for 4 and a half months now, and even though i've made some decent gains with them, I feel that my neglecting a total base of wrist, forearm and hand strength and just jumping into grippers is starting to show. And I think it would be better for me to just take a solid few months to develop that base, then start grippers again, than to try and juggle it all at once. Regardless of that even, I just need to focus an axle more right know anyway. The only thing i'll continue to do with grippers during this time is set practice 1-2 times a week.

All in all real fun workout

• Like 2

8/3/2014

Wrist-

Side to Side Lever: 1x5-14",2x8-17"

Front Lever: 3x10-22"

Rear Lever: 1x8-16"

My hands actually felt ok tonight so I decided to use the sledge hammer a little

Good idea man, I've also backed off grippers for a bit because of the same reason. It's always a smart idea to build the base before putting all the toppings on first. I'm sure you'll advance very quickly in the other areas of grip just as well!

• Like 2

7/6/2014

Squat: 3x3-190lbs

"Obscene Heavy High Squat off Rack Pins": 3x8-245lbs (5 second hold at top each rep)

DO Axle Deadlift: 1x1- 253lbs

8/3/2014 DO Deadlift: 1x5-245lbs DO Axle Rack Pulls: 3x3-202lbs(8 second hold each rep)

Forgot that the axle doesn't weight 45lbs lol.

Good workout I guess, missed yesterdays because I had to work late. The heavy (basically bottoms up) high squats destroyed my cns and I had not planned exactly what else I was going to do so I just rested about 15 minutes then maxed out on DO axle deadlift. I was very happy with what I was able to pull, and it was actually the most i've ever pulled on any bar(i've never maxed out on DL though). Didn't try anything higher because I wasn't sure if I was going to lock it out or not until 3/4 through the lift.

• Like 3

Perfect training day! Good work on the squats and the axle, also loved the adopted name for the squat lifts ;). Hahaha! What height do you have the bar at for these? Forgot to suggest you use the axle for this lift, most yoke bars are thick.

It may seem really taxing at the time, but you will recover fairly fast because of the reduced range of motion! I would say do your sets of this exercise, then on the last rep of the last set hold it up there for 15-60 seconds. If you can manage, do this last hold beltless. Don't forget a little direct ab or oblique work either.

• Like 1

Good axle! I bet as your back gets stronger, your axle will increase rapidly too. We've got the same problem of weak backs and strong hands.

• Like 1

Perfect training day! Good work on the squats and the axle, also loved the adopted name for the squat lifts ;). Hahaha! What height do you have the bar at for these? Forgot to suggest you use the axle for this lift, most yoke bars are thick.

It may seem really taxing at the time, but you will recover fairly fast because of the reduced range of motion! I would say do your sets of this exercise, then on the last rep of the last set hold it up there for 15-60 seconds. If you can manage, do this last hold beltless. Don't forget a little direct ab or oblique work either.

Thanks Matt! Yah I figured you had me doing these for the yoke. One thing this lift did teach me today is my definition of "tight" was not very tight. But trust me, I was tight when I did these, and I think I know what tight is supposed to feel like lol. What is your favorite core exercise? Matt, I've never used a belt, should I start?

Good axle! I bet as your back gets stronger, your axle will increase rapidly too. We've got the same problem of weak backs and strong hands.

Thanks Yori! That means allot coming from mr 2X-DO-BW axle! Hears my theory, I would guess that the majority of people who get into grip have been strength training for a while, and their grip finally couldn't keep up with their muscle, they see how many cool things they can do with their hands, the rest is history. I started grip training 2-3 weeks before I started strength training, and as it seems, my grip will be plenty strong for my strength training for a while, but still continue to get stronger. I read in your log that you were grip training for a while before you started strength training, so what I just said x2.

So to put it simply, we are awesome

• Like 1

Totally agree.

l'd like to see what your hands could pull when not limited by back strength. To figure this out, you can max on your 1 hand axle for both hands and approximate.

Totally agree.

l'd like to see what your hands could pull when not limited by back strength. To figure this out, you can max on your 1 hand axle for both hands and approximate.

Might just have to try that out soon bud ;)

• Like 1

also loved the adopted name for the squat lifts . Hahaha! What height do you have the bar at for these?

Just measured, the pins are 4'1 high and i'm 6'. Is that about right? I just winged the hight and tried to get in all requirements; obscenely heavy, for reps, and with a hold lol

Thanks Matt! Yah I figured you had me doing these for the yoke. One thing this lift did teach me today is my definition of "tight" was not very tight. But trust me, I was tight when I did these, and I think I know what tight is supposed to feel like lol. What is your favorite core exercise? Matt, I've never used a belt, should I start?

That's a good lesson to learn! I have seen people who squat around 600 to good depth humbled by a 600 yoke because they lacked the ability to stay tight for extended periods of time. I would say my favorite core exercise would be situps with band resistance for 6-12 reps or ab wheel off the knees or toes with weight on the back.

About the belt - I would suggest one. You'll need one eventually and core strength develops faster than your lifts will so don't let the anti-belt brigade hold your back. If it is allowed in a raw powerlifting meet then I would considerate it fair game for training.

also loved the adopted name for the squat lifts . Hahaha! What height do you have the bar at for these?

Just measured, the pins are 4'1 high and i'm 6'. Is that about right? I just winged the hight and tried to get in all requirements; obscenely heavy, for reps, and with a hold lol

That sounds good to me, on a yoke you'll want to have at least a foot of clearance. Not bad for winging it!

• Like 1

8/10/2014

DO Deadift: 1x5-250lbs(Rep PR)

Front Squat: 3x3-155lbs

DO Static Holds: 3x10 seconds/1x to failure- 275lbs

Pull Ups: 5x3- BW+10lbs(Weight/Volume PR)

Strict DB Curl: 2x10- 20lbs

1x10-15lbs

Best workout in a while, no record shattering but I felt real focused and strong. Cant wait to deadlift next week, when I pull 255x5, that will be 1.5xBW for 5 reps. Skipped sandbag again I know, I'm gonna start using it, I just need to readjust to everything first.

• Like 1