Training For West Australian Championship

Mikael Siversson

That's strange but then again I am a useless with computer stuff.

That's strange but then again I am a useless with computer stuff.

Then again, it could be something at my end. LIke me.

Edit

Edited by Mikael Siversson

The 133 would have been easier to judge had you been wearing a t-shirt. Very close either way. But based on just the video I would not stomp my feet in protest if the lift was passed, provided you didn't beat the "down" command.

Anyways, nice lifting!

I don't really regard the 133k attempt as a max attempt in a strict sense as I had already done 7 singles with 126.5k. Had I gone straight to 133k after just one single at 126.5k I would probably have done a better job. I would like to be in the top 3 of all guys in the lighter weight classes (up to 74k) and that requires 134k or thereabouts at the moment. Having said that I hope to see more lighter guys get into grip strength competitions.

The world of grip sport needs both big guys with huge overall grip strength and lighter guys with huge grip strength to body weight ratios. The rock climbing community, for example, will not be impressed by big guys with moderate grip strength to bodyweight ratios and the strongman community will not be impressed by light guys with anything less than huge overall grip strength.

I don't really regard the 133k attempt as a max attempt in a strict sense as I had already done 7 singles with 126.5k. Had I gone straight to 133k after just one single at 126.5k I would probably have done a better job. I would like to be in the top 3 of all guys in the lighter weight classes (up to 74k) and that requires 134k or thereabouts at the moment. Having said that I hope to see more lighter guys get into grip strength competitions.

The world of grip sport needs both big guys with huge overall grip strength and lighter guys with huge grip strength to body weight ratios. The rock climbing community, for example, will not be impressed by big guys with moderate grip strength to bodyweight ratios and the strongman community will not be impressed by light guys with anything less than huge overall grip strength.

Mikael - have you ever tried climbing - it would seem like a natural fit for you?

I was hopeful that instituting weight classes would attract more lighter guys to grip. I guess it's still relatively early in the game, though.

No I can't say I have tried it. Never felt an urge to climb I must admit.

Mikael - have you ever tried climbing - it would seem like a natural fit for you?

Body weight 75.5k

Grippers 20 mm block

Right hand
143 (IM3) - closed
153 (BBE) - 2mm, 2mm, 2mm

Left hand
129 (IM2.5) - closed
140 (IM3) - 6mm, 4mm, 3mm

Light dynamic thumb training

1HP
Right
38.5k x1
40k x1
42k x1, 1, 1
44k x1

Left
38k x1
39.5k x1
41.5k x1, 1, 1
42.5k x1 (not max at all)

Wrist supination/pronation of the floor with Heavy Hammer II

Grippers down compared to last week but 1HP very strong. I very pleased with 44k, given that the class world record in the 74k class is 35.16k and that I am stronger in competition than I am in training.

Body weight 74.8k

Grippers TNS

Right hand
129 (IM2.5) - closed, closed, 1mm

123 (IM2.5) - 1mm
122 (IM2.5) - closed, 1mm, closed, closed, 1mm, 1mm

Left hand
120 (BSM) - closed, closed, 1mm
117 (BSM) - 1mm

115 (BSM) - 6 singles

TNS strength clearly down compared to last week, felt tired. Should not really complain though as had exactly the same average TNS strength today as I had the week before the 2012 West Australian grip championship (slightly stronger right hand and slightly weaker left hand) and I weigh just under 75k compared with 83 k back then.

Radial/ulnar deviation over table with IM's Heavy Hammer II Leverage Bar (starting point with bar held vertical then lowered until horizontal)

Right 4.75k 6, 5, 5
Left 4.25k 6, 6, 6

A bit stronger in my wrists compared to last week

Sacrifice by fire a virgin Trainer before the Almighty Torsion Spring Gripper of the Ages as the clock strikes twelve tonight. Your TNS strength will return in abundance.

I don't know Eric. I seem to struggle to come up with a gripper program that produces slow and steady gains. I might skip TNS and simply add an extra day of 20mm block set, perhaps doing reps instead of singles on that day.

I will bring some grippers with me when I go on holiday to Sweden (3-27th July) so I can maintain that. I use my grippers for dynamic thumb training and I will probably do rafter pull ups as a substitute for Euro pinch training.

Looking at my training logs I noticed I managed a 3 second hang on a 60mm wide wooden rafter with the palm facing forward (basically the 2HP position). I weighed 82k back then (2005). I am a bit stronger now and 7k lighter so I think I can pull myself up and do reps.

Doing choked closes has helped me over a wall on several occasions. I started up with them again right after Nationals and I've already put 4 pounds on my 20mm block set, not to mention 20 pounds on my body. :grin: Currently, I'm doing two choked closes with a brief overcrush and two Mash Monster set closes with a 5 second overcrush. That being said, in general, my gripper progress is the least predictable of everything I train. I used to say that about v-bar, hence the reason I stopped training it.

Body weight 74.5k

Grippers 20mm block

Right

140 #3: 2, 1, 1, 1, 1

Left

117 BSM: 3, 2, 3, 2, 2

2HP Euro 64mm width
warm up
82k x 1, 1, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0

Pinch was a complete contrast to the 1HP I did on Tuesday when I felt very strong.

Axle

115k x 2
130k x 1

132.5k x 0

Felt weak today but maybe it is because I am on antibiotics at the moment.

Following Matt Cannon's example, showing off my abs (not too bad for a 50-year-old I guess).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z738fszL8_k&feature=youtu.be

As I train outside there is wide range of temp/rel. humidity. My pinch is typically all over the place this time of the year but much steadier once we get into the spring in September/October.

Body weight 75.0k

Grippers 20 mm block

Right hand

143 (IM3) - 1, 1, 1, 1, 0

Left hand

122 (IM2.5) - 2, 2, 1, 1, 1

Light dynamic thumb training

1HP

Right

38.5k x1

40.5k x1

41.5k x1

42.5k x1

44.5k x 0 (came halfway up)

Left

38.5k x1

40k x1

41k x1

42k x0

I am getting very close to 1HP 60% of my body weight on the Euro device.

Mikael - I thought you had answered this before but I couldn't find it. What width do you use for the 2HP - and what for the 1 HP? I'm finding I like wider for one hand versus two - curious as to your findings also?

I use the same for both, 64mm. Seems to work best for me.

Body weight 74.7k

Grippers 20 mm block

Right hand
129 (IM2.5) - 4, 4, 4, 4, 4

Left hand
115 (BSM) - 6, 5, 5, 4, 4

2 HP 64 mm

74k x 2

76k x 2

78k x 1

81k x 1, 1, 1

Trying, successfully, to overtrain the pinch as I will not be able to do any pinch training for the next three weeks (holiday).

Radial/ulnar deviation over table with IM's Heavy Hammer II Leverage Bar (starting point with bar held vertical then lowered until horizontal)

Right 4.75k 6, 6, 4
Left 4.25k 7, 7, 5

Body weight 74.3k

Grippers 20mm block

Right

140 #3: 1, 1, 1, 0, 0

Left

120 BSM: 2, 3, 3, 2, 3

Weaker with my right hand but stronger with my left compared to last week.

2HP Euro 64mm width

warm up

74k x 2

78k x 1

stopped after 78k because of a bad cut.

I think I will revert to training pinch once a week. I am too close to the competition to experiment too much.

Next pinch workout will be on Sunday 28th of July. Would not surprise me one bit if I come back strong as my skin is really in a bad shape after pinch training three times per week. I am stronger than ever in my dynamic thumb training but certainly not in my pinch training and I suspect that the skin is simply too leathery-like at the moment for optimal friction. The grip is sliding a lot more compared with when I trained pinch once a week.

Axle

100k x 3

120k x 1

130k x 1

135k x 1

137k x 1 Training PR :)

Nice axle pull.

Thanks Eric,

Will be interesting to see if I get a strength boost in the axle when I compete as this has always been the case with the pinch and mostly (but notably not the last time I competed when did not perform at my peak in grippers) the case with grippers as well.

Body weight 74.5k

Grippers 20 mm block

Right hand
143 (IM3) - closed
153 (BBE) - 0.5mm, 1mm, 1.5mm, 1.5mm, 1.5mm

Left hand
129 (IM2.5) - closed

140 (IM3) - 1mm, 3mm (dropped block on the floor), 1mm, 0.5mm, 1mm

Much stronger than last time.

Next log entry will be on the 28th of July.