2 Vs 1 Hand Pinch

truth1ness

I was reading on the FAQ beginner routine that beginners should start out with two hand pinch before moving on two one hand pinch. There wasn't much explanation besides someone saying one hand pinch is a very different exercise than two hand pinch. I'm curious if someone can expand on that. Is one hand pinch significantly more injury prone? At what point would you say someone should switch from two hand pinch to one hand pinch?

This is akin to asking which should I practice; One arm dumbbell military press or barbell military press? It depends on you and your goals.If you want to compete 2HP is a competition lift so that may be something that you want to think about doing. If you want to work for the two 45s 1HP then one hand is something that you may want to work on. Whichever you choose you will still be getting stronger thumbs... but it depends on you and your goals.

I would say its better to work 1hp and wrist tendon strength before working the 2hp real hard. I got bad tendinitis around the time I started working that lift.

I really don't like the current 2hand pinch device. I have only tried it twice once in a workout and once at a contest. Both times I cut myself. I have never cut myself trying out plate pinching one handed at the gym. I know its not just me since I've read others have cut themselves often on the 2hand pinch device which is why some of them wear gloves when doing the event in training. That said I would think the 1hand pinch would be safer not just because you use a lot less weight but you probably wont cut yourself as easily.

It will be interesting to hear what other people think about which one is safer though sine I don't have much experience with pinch.

I would say its better to work 1hp and wrist tendon strength before working the 2hp real hard. I got bad tendinitis around the time I started working that lift.

good tip got me thinkin!

I really don't like the current 2hand pinch device. I have only tried it twice once in a workout and once at a contest. Both times I cut myself. I have never cut myself trying out plate pinching one handed at the gym. I know its not just me since I've read others have cut themselves often on the 2hand pinch device which is why some of them wear gloves when doing the event in training. That said I would think the 1hand pinch would be safer not just because you use a lot less weight but you probably wont cut yourself as easily.

It will be interesting to hear what other people think about which one is safer though sine I don't have much experience with pinch.

I cut myself (more like a tear, base of the thumbs) in competition as well.

Not sure if more experienced people have the same problems, or if their skin toughens up over time.

The thing is that this isn't an either or question. You really can train both - if you can't figure out how you need to rethink some of this stuff. The two hand pinch is soooo much more complex than people think. It it not just the one hand pinch done with both hands - not at all - not even close - hands work much differently in the two lifts. If you are getting cut - do two things - round the edges on your device - that is allowed under the rules. And second you are "probably" using too wide a setup for your hands. Third, I'd almost bet your technique needs work and one of the experienced guys can fix you up fairly quickly with some technique work - you're setting up too deep and pulling from there. Either find someone to visit for some coaching or at the least buy Jedd's Pinch DVD.

There are also several two hand pinch threads on here that might help out quite a bit.

Thanks all. Sounds like it's actually a mixed bag about which is better to start on. Like I said, I'm just doing the beginner program from the FAQ from Dave Horne to build up a base, not looking to compete in any particular event yet. The program listed barbell rollups, wrist curls, reverse wrist curls, and two hand pinch grip. He bothered to specify two hand but didn't give much reasoning besides one hand grip being more advanced and a 'completely different exercise' so I was curious since in other weight training single vs double hand exercises can usually both be used in the beginning. I'm just using it as a starting point, but if it's not a big deal I figure I could do some single and some double pinching and maybe some other exercises.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=12608

Edited by truth1ness

I might check out that pinch DVD. Are you talking about Napalm Pinch or his Road to the Record DVD? Also are the techniques for 2 hand pinch similar enough that I can apply what he covers in the DVD to one hand pinch or would you recommend a separate resource for that?

What I suggest is probably different than what others would do. This is what I did at the advice of David Horne way back. I bought a notebook and started experimenting with my Euro setup. I kept notes of everything I tried - hands this way - hands that way - hands another way. This thickness - that thickness etc. I tried everything, no matter how stupid I thought it was. It took me a while to figure out what worked "for me". I worked with Kody Burns for a few hours here at my house and look where he is today. Don't get me wrong I didn't teach Kody how to pinch or make Kody strong - I helped Kody learn how to teach himself how to pinch on his own. Since then I've had Jedd (Napalm) work with me on my 2HP - it's a learning process and while someone like Jedd or another experienced guy can help - ultimately you have to figure things out yourself in the end - just like everything in lifting. I'm fortunate to know many of the experienced guys and have learned so very much from them in person - that's the real value of going to the competitions - you can stand and talk with the best of the best and learn more in a day than in years on your own. Email Jedd (maybe he'll see this and reply) and ask him which DVD would be best for you - Jedds a great guy and will fix you up.

What I suggest is probably different than what others would do. This is what I did at the advice of David Horne way back. I bought a notebook and started experimenting with my Euro setup. I kept notes of everything I tried - hands this way - hands that way - hands another way. This thickness - that thickness etc. I tried everything, no matter how stupid I thought it was. It took me a while to figure out what worked "for me". I worked with Kody Burns for a few hours here at my house and look where he is today. Don't get me wrong I didn't teach Kody how to pinch or make Kody strong - I helped Kody learn how to teach himself how to pinch on his own. Since then I've had Jedd (Napalm) work with me on my 2HP - it's a learning process and while someone like Jedd or another experienced guy can help - ultimately you have to figure things out yourself in the end - just like everything in lifting. I'm fortunate to know many of the experienced guys and have learned so very much from them in person - that's the real value of going to the competitions - you can stand and talk with the best of the best and learn more in a day than in years on your own. Email Jedd (maybe he'll see this and reply) and ask him which DVD would be best for you - Jedds a great guy and will fix you up.

Great advice. Thank you!