4 Is The Charm? How Many Can Close #3 In All Directions ,both Hands?

1stCoC

How many out there using a wide or table no set can right and left hand close a #3 gripper in a total of 4 positions? Upside down position in each hand would be a bit different feeling but perhaps bring the strongest leverage position in line with the strongest fingers. Mark Henry was able to do this the first time he tried .......how many of us out there can or have done the same? Very interesting......

Yes sir you are correct with the four listed positions.For the first time in all my years of gripping I devoted a training session to closing the # 2 for 7 attempted sets of all four hand position. Really liked it and saw that versatility it can build in functional crushing strength. Came close most sets( that was a pretty happy thing) and went all 4 in at least 2 of the sets. To build strength in varied positions is the key to having a truly well rounded grip.

Well, any stalwart gripsters out there that can do this?

2(standard grip right and left) out of 4 yes. Upside down on left easier than right for me but not closed (could close 2.5 upside down on left)

As usual , thanks for stepping up Andrew! Interested in others giving it a try too!

I already know I can't (yet)...but I suspect Chez has a shot at it.

I was able to do it TNS with both hands with a #3 on the easy side (146lbs) and CCS with both hands with a 155lb #3 a few years back. This is not a current strength level. In case that is also part of the question. The inverted closes are the part that gave mw trouble. My TNS and CCS strength was quite a bit higher standard spring up closes.

I can no set close a #3 with my right hand and I have closed a #3 Credit Card Set with my left hand. I haven't really tried inverted closes though. The last time I did was when I first started training grippers. I have no clue how good I am at inverted closes. I have been focusing on bending the last couple weeks. I'm starting to ramp up grippers again so I'll give it a shot in a couple weeks once my crush strength is back up.

Paul Knight closed a #143 rated #3 in all 4 positions at my house on one of his visits.

Not surprising back when he did this! I do think this is quite impressive for anyone to pull this off though!

I approached this maybe a little differently. As a sort of test of evenness - I'm not at the level of a #3 closer so I tried the 4 ways with a 2.5 and managed that all 4 ways. It was very hard left inverted and took me a few tries to get it that way.

Can do this no problem but you gave me an idea for something a bit more challenging Richard - will get a video for you.

• Like 2

I like the inverted grip but things just get hard quick right at the end of the close. Do others find that to be true during this transition?

Ok a different thing to try.............stack a #1 on top of a #2 and in one squeeze close wide set or TNS them both. I used to try that from time to time about two decades ago.....never totally closed both( got close) if my memory serves me correctly. Ok Paul......lets see you work on them!

• Like 2

Richard, I figured you and some of the other grandfathers of grip (no disrespect meant at all, it's meant as a compliment) were the first to stack grippers on top of each other and then attempt to close them both at the same time.

Most guys have no idea how hard it is to TNS close even two Trainers stacked on each other.