Can Anyone Tell Me If All Brands Of Gripper Are The Same?

LebaneseChampion

can anyone tell me if all brands of gripper are the same? like the COC are easy at first then they get much harder in the end (like there's something we hit)... is there a gripper that has the strength build up more consistently ? or kind of constant tension?

Edited by LebaneseChampion

can anyone tell me if all brands of gripper are the same? like the COC are easy at first then they get much harder in the end (like there's something we hit)... is there a gripper that has the strength build up more consistently ? or kind of constant tension?

Iron Mind's new zenith gripper line is supposed to have a smoother close throughout the rep range.

But to answer your question, most grippers like IM, GHP, and BB will have a lighter sweep and tougher close regarding tension.

Mighty Joe has a ton of grippers and he is more qualified than I am to elaborate on this.

This is a nature of the torsion spring gripper.

Grip machines (plate loaded) are even load all the way.

Adjustables like the Vulcan are the opposite, hard to start and they kind of give up at the close.

• Like 2

This is a nature of the torsion spring gripper.

Grip machines (plate loaded) are even load all the way.

Adjustables like the Vulcan are the opposite, hard to start and they kind of give up at the close.

I agree with Matt here and would add that now that Sorinex has designed a grip machine (Pops Grip Machine)

that allows the addition of resistance bands into the equation. I can honestly say that a grip machine is all I've been

using lately (last 2 months +) because of this innovative design.

Being a fan of resistance band training anyway, the Pops Grip Machine was a game changer IMO! Bands have many advantages

over just weight plates. The resistance curve increases as the ROM increases. Easier on the joints. Allows for ballistic/explosive type

movements that increases force output without using heavy weights. Recovery is faster. Actually, weight plates are not even necessary

if one so desires. I haven't used a weight plate yet on my unit, just different combinations of band attachments.

When I decide to start training to close big grippers again I will use the grippers as measurements of my progress with my crushing

strength along with a Vulcan to practice my set and increasing setting strength.

Torsion spring grippers vary so much from brand to brand that some brands start hard and finish easier. Some start easy and finish

harder. You really can't tell until you actually try a individual gripper regardless of the brand. Now before anyone gets nervous here

that's not to say that certain brands are considered (based on previous consumer usage/testing) more consistent than others. The GHP's, COC's

and a few others seem to be very consistent on their RGC numbers and the strength curve from start to close. The springs that IM and GHP

are currently using are as good as they get for now.

I own more COC grippers than any other brand and I've never bought one I wasn't pleased with. Same can be said of GHP's as well.

I have many Tetting grippers as well and I can't complain with this line either. Warren has had issues in the past with finding consistent

torsion springs but here lately they seem top notch from my experience.

Sorry for the long post. Just a lot I wanted to say on this topic.

• Like 1

thank you everyone especially mighty Joe. i have read somewhere that the Gillingham HP are smoother. i don't know if that's what i am searching for

I am a fan of the GHP. They are the best torsion spring gripper out right now.

• Like 2

I am too - but beware the surface rust to the springs - keep them oiled!

Edited by chilliman64

• 1 month later...

is it different from IronMind? do they rust faster?

is it different from IronMind? do they rust faster?

If anything rusts "faster" I would say it's Tetting grippers. The polished spring on IM grippers helps a lot.

out of my Old School FBBCs, IMs, BBs and GHPs (etc) that are all about the same age the only springs showing signs of spotting/rusting are the GHPs. they have all been sprayed with WD40 and resprayed periodically and are all stored in the open in my garage gym under identical conditions.

the spotting was only light and I did manage to polish them back with Nevr Dull metal wadding cleaner and all is good. just keep the springs coated with a light coating of oil etc but not so much that it runs down the handles.

I still love my GHPs!!!

(edit: I use this stuff to clean up vintage razors and it's great - Nevr Dull => http://www.amazon.com/George-Basch-Nevr-Dull-Wadding-Polish/dp/B000VPBMCO)

Edited by chilliman64
  • Like 1