Grip Strength Intensive Pull-ups

Jedd Johnson

Been adding in lots of Pull-up variations in my back workouts to get away from doing them weighted on Rolling Thunders all the time.

Here are a couple of things I've tried recently.

IronMind Pad - Saw someone post a video of someone else doing this, so I had to give it a try. Very finger-intensive.

Rogue Fitness Globe - We put out a Kettlebell Training ebook back in like 2005 and in it, one of the exercises was Orb Pull-ups, gripping onto a kettlebell. This device is quite a bit easier to set up, although I think the kettlebell version is tougher.

Anybody else been doing any cool Pull-up variations as part of their training?

• Like 1

2" Battle Rope is my favorite variation right now. Read about them on John Brookfields grip tips and I really like them now.

• Like 1

Cool. I have a couple of these tube-grip things I use with them. Another good method, buddy!

i separate my back days from my grip training days. although training your back hard will work your grip regardless.

havent been doing pull up variations, but high rep row variations to work my grip.

x4 sets using a 1.5" piece of manilla rope, followed by x4 sets of rows using the sleeves of my BJJ gi. Both feel great. the rope gives my hands a good pump (hits that thumb pad good) along with my flexors. the gi feels good on the fingers, and finishes off the forearms/hands good too.

i normally do those 8 sets after any other grip work im doing that day.

Edited by alexjones234

I've always wondered about these kinds of exercises, how and what strength they build and so on.

Do they only increase your strength in those exercises or Do they have carryover to other exercises like say thickbar?

It looks fun and variety helps keep boredom away.

Very cool Jedd. I like the IMP pull up. But I'm sure I'll exceed the maximum weight limit of the IMP, lol.

I almost never train pull/chin ups - my climbing seems to cover things pretty well. Ad of course the climbing covers all kinds of different grips and angles of pull.

I've always wondered about these kinds of exercises, how and what strength they build and so on.

Do they only increase your strength in those exercises or Do they have carryover to other exercises like say thickbar?

take one day out just to try different exercises. you can get a good feel for it that way.

to answer your original question, ive found that training with ropes for a few weeks REALLY helped me when it came to holding the close position of a gripper. almost dramatically helped me, personally. i train with a 3 ft piece of manilla rope at 1.5".

try a few sets after your usual grip routine. i think youll be pleased.

I Wish i tried it alot sooner to be honest.

Hope this helps.

Edited by alexjones234

I've been doing IMP pull-ups, I use one in each hand folded over the bar. Also been using the Rogue Dog Bone and Elite Fitness 4" Grenade Ball lat bar.

IMP Pull-ups will do NOTHING for your thick bar lifts. You gotta work thick bar to gain on thick bar. Look up the SAID principle online.

• Like 1

Went back to Rolling Thunder Pull-ups. This time, went really heavy. Great workout. Got up to 115 added.

• Like 1