Blobs

slazbob

So the "Fatman" are the best? Because of the flared sides. Then they came out with blob50's ? Back in the late '90's I went out and bought an 85lb York... Couldn't find a 100lb. Always wanted to get one... My half of the 85lb is easy for me. I'd like to get a 50lb'er , but is lifting one that's not a "Fatman" as good as a Fatman?

I've been using weight on my half 85lb .... Around 53lbs. Altogether. Would this be comparable to a blob lift? I also want to cut my 120lb hex to have a 60lb. I think I saw Jedd lift one on a video once before.

I'm just a bit confused about all the different things I've seen about blobs, so I figured I'd ask.

Thanks.

You are kind of right and kind of not.

This article will straighten it all out for you, I believe: http://www.dieselcrew.com/block-weight-training-the-blob

This one is even better actually, containing info on the Blue Blobs: http://www.dieselcrew.com/difference-between-blob-types

You are right, I have lifted half 120's. But I actually half half 115's that are tougher than half 120's.

As far as the weight needed to be added to half 85. I think a little more is needed. The Blob is bigger than a half 85 (most likely) plus the half 85 probably has straight sides, making it an eaiser purchase than the sides of a blob.

Thanks, Jedd. The 42-1/2 lb does have flare. A Fatman if you will. The 25lb'ers I have, have a lot of flare as well. Been trying to lift them with the index finger and thumb.... But it drops after an inch of air! I'll keep trying.

I don't practice pinch but a couple times a year. Just use my TTK for my thumbs- seems to help a lot.

Is the 42.5 a York? or Hex?

Bob

If you cut the 120 were you looking to sell the other half by chance? Let me know I would be interested.

Rico

I went to check the bottom of the 42-1/2 and it had USA on the bottom. The 25lb one did not.

The timeframe between the two was: the 25lb or 50lb dumbbell was bought around '96. And I'm not sure how long after that I got the 85lb dumbbell... Early 2000's I'm thinking.

Thanks for the info, Jedd.

The number side had a USA stamp on it?

I found a pair of York 100's uncut...the real s... yesterday. I think they are fatmans but still researching. I know they are not legacy.

I found a pair of York 100's uncut...the real s... yesterday. I think they are fatmans but still researching. I know they are not legacy.

Nice snag on a couple of beautiful dumbbells! If you decide you want to part with one of the bells or blobs, please let me know.

Gary

Put me on the list to if you want to sell one of these, pm me.

Parris

I have to wonder what the true value of a pair is worth. I doubt many exist. Still researching and cant get on Iron History. I know blobs go for 200-300. Right now I'm thinking the value may be double and doubt anyone has 2 grand to spend. I may cut them later but not yet. I've had my eyes open for 10 years for this.

Gary
Put me on the list to if you want to sell one of these, pm me.
Parris

Gary,

If they are original fatman blobs they should not only be missing the USA stamp, but should also weigh more then 50 pounds each. Mine weigh around 52 or so each.

They should also slope out more.

I wouldnt ask less then $400 a blob for them. They are like finding a unicorn now-a-days. Funny, at the first prison I worked at 9 years ago we had about 20 sets of original 100 pound york DBs. When they would break, they would go in the dumpster...

Oh that's terrible and heart wrenching... Blobs in a dumpster... That's like watching a Ferrari get wrecked in a big budget movie

Gary,

If they are original fatman blobs they should not only be missing the USA stamp, but should also weigh more then 50 pounds each. Mine weigh around 52 or so each.

I wouldnt ask less then $400 a blob for them. They are like finding a unicorn now-a-days. Funny, at the first prison I worked at 9 years ago we had about 20 sets of original 100 pound york DBs. When they would break, they would go in the dumpster...

Hey Rick,

I'm not a blob guy but had figured at least 300 per blob but had hopes the set uncut might be worth close to 2000. Not following the blob posts for a few years I wasn't sure. It seems there is no added value of having a nearly non-existant set of dumbbells. I just got them and still saying no to cutting them up but could change my mind later. Perhaps I will take them to AOBS this year.

Gary,

Hey Rick,

I'm not a blob guy but had figured at least 300 per blob but had hopes the set uncut might be worth close to 2000. Not following the blob posts for a few years I wasn't sure. It seems there is no added value of having a nearly non-existant set of dumbbells. I just got them and still saying no to cutting them up but could change my mind later. Perhaps I will take them to AOBS this year.

I wouldnt think they would be worth much more uncut only because it is the grip guys who are going to drop the money on them anyway, and they only want them for grip. There might be a collector out there that would want them whole, but I doubt it.

My only concern is how new they look. Every old york I have seen is beat to hell. My fatman blobs came as a whole DB that was used as a door stop for a gym, so it was really old and textured. All the old DBs at the prison were well used, so of course they looked like they have rolled around in a river for 100 years and were slippery as all get out. Those DBs you have look new? Were they just never used? If that is the case, they might go for more.

I still stand by a minimum of $400 a piece for an original fatman blob. There are a lot of grip guys looking for them and cant find them. I got lucky, and by the looks of it, you did to. I have had several offers for mine in excess of $400 a piece but I am not interested in selling mine as I want my sons to have a crack at them. Right now they sit on the garage floor untouched.

Any have any experience with the loadable blob? Thoughts?

I paid like 210 for mine I think, sees my gallery I for pics . 400 is way steep sounds like ebay prices.

Also Jason Steves just bought a loadable blob from David Horne of I remember correctly.