What's The Best Way To Bridge A Gap?

JaredWith1R

The easiest way I've found to make the 1/16" increment blocks is with craft sticks.

Gripper Block

Just wanted to share my craft stick feeler gauge. Already had the hardware, and the sticks were about a buck. All in all, a pretty great idea. Might also make one that goes to 2", about 35 sticks.

Thanks for the idea, man!

• Like 3

If you can close the #2 now easy, maybe file it down a bit. So you get a bigger rom. Really makes a difference.

^^^ THIS!

The easiest way I've found to make the 1/16" increment blocks is with craft sticks.

Just wanted to share my craft stick feeler gauge. Already had the hardware, and the sticks were about a buck. All in all, a pretty great idea. Might also make one that goes to 2", about 35 sticks.

Thanks for the idea, man!

Looks great!

Was thinking about this the other day too and that is exactly what I was thinking. Also thought of doing SS metal one with .025 shim stock. You can get those in 12" long x 1/2" wide pieces from amazon or even the hardware store where they sell the shim stock. Cutting those up into 3" pieces and drilling one end like you did would make a nice gripper feeler gauge set with .025" increments and make for some nice small progression steps with this method.

- Aaron

Looks great! Was thinking about this the other day too and that is exactly what I was thinking. Also thought of doing SS metal one with .025 shim stock. You can get those in 12" long x 1/2" wide pieces from amazon or even the hardware store where they sell the shim stock. Cutting those up into 3" pieces and drilling one end like you did would make a nice gripper feeler gauge set with .025" increments and make for some nice small progression steps with this method. - Aaron

I was thinking the SAME thing, except I was gonna get some aluminum or SS flat stock from McMaster. Also thinking about putting a few together to sell on the boards, but not sure how much interest there is out there. The craft stick one probably wouldn't be worth it, shipping would cost 2x the materials cost. But maybe a few nice steel ones would go over well. Too bad I dont still have access to a laser engraver, but maybe some number stamps would do.

• Like 2

Most effective thing I've found for closing up the last few millimeters on a goal gripper was doing bounce-forced negatives with a filed gripper that was slightly harder than the goal gripper.

• 1 month later...

how do i bridge the gap between the IMTUG 3 and 4 when trying to close it with my thumb & index/middle fingers. I can close the 3 all day long but the 4 is really hard to get the last 5mm?

how do i bridge the gap between the IMTUG 3 and 4 when trying to close it with my thumb & index/middle fingers. I can close the 3 all day long but the 4 is really hard to get the last 5mm?

This should be a perfect application of forced close negatives, since it will be fairly easy to close the rest of that gap with your offhand. Close it with your off hand and use your gripping hand to hold it closed for as long as possible.

My current method (I have no information to prove this is the best, it's just what I decided to try) is to close down to an adjustable gauge block for reps, then decrease the size of the block every session (or however often you want). In theory, you'll just keep getting a little bit stronger every time until eventually there is no more gauge and you get the close. I'll usually hold the gripper out in front of my body and let the gauge hang with every close, so I know I got it.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=43740&p=627796

Hope this helps!

• Like 1