2013 Gripmas Carol

climber511

Andrew Durniant - Brandon Gerber - John Eaton are signed up also.

• Like 2

Eaton is signed up?!? Great news! Wish I could attend. All you need is Josh Dale and a slew of other regulars to make it a party.

Eaton is signed up?!? Great news! Wish I could attend. All you need is Josh Dale and a slew of other regulars to make it a party.

Still a long time to go. I hope most of the old gang can make in and some new guys and gals as well. Wish you could attend Ben - it's been quite a while since I've seen you.

• Like 1

Are you limiting the number of contestants?

Is this contest open to anyone?

The contest is open to anyone - from first timers to seasoned competitors - male or female - other counties or continents are fine but no one from another planet allowed (or we will put kyptonite on the implements) :). I doubt I would ever have to limit how many people can come - but I would appreciate people entering by the deadline and not just showing up the day of and surprising me.

• 3 weeks later...

Light system for my grip machine.

Just as information - I will have a "bunch" of stuff for sale at Gripmas (not just for Grip but other stuff as well) - and no I'm not getting out but I have multiples of many items and lots of stuff that hasn't been used in a couple years - going to make room and try to get enough cash to get a start on buying a set of competition bumper plates. But you have to come to Gripmas to get first shot at it - after that I'll post what's left.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris, will your grip machine definitely be used instead of the ISG at the 2013 Gripmas Carol?

Bob I haven't worked on getting the light set up installed on the ISG so we can have a positive close setup yet - something I need to get done after my climbing trip. I'd rather use the ISG as people can train on it and no one but me could train on the machine. But the machine video does show what I mean by a light to show for sure when a close is made. No more judges call when things are close. Light on = good - light not on = missed.

Thanks Chris. I don't see a problem with using the machine this year if you felt like it, as it looks like less technique is involved than a no-set of the ISG.

At least we will probably have time to try the machine and give our opinions in case you or someone else wants to use it in a future comp.

Bob - I do think that TSG work will have less carry over than an ISG or another parallel handled machine might either way we go. V shaped handles and parallel handles seem fairly different to me. Of course strong is strong and the big TSG closers will kick sand in our face yet again but training as specific as possible will help those of us who are not in that category :)

• Like 1

We were all messing around w/ the ISG a few weeks ago and a couple of the guys whose hands are slightly smaller than mine had a tough time finger-walking the ISG to get no-set attempts/any purchase on the handle. I think the ISG would be an ideal contest tool to measure no-set, parallel-handled crush if it was modified to make it a bit less of a stretch at the beginning of the movement.

Bob - it is what it is I guess. I have have no plans to shorten the stroke.

Thanks for your reply Chris. Bob Lipinski has done some contests involving no-setting TSGs that have been popular; just wanted to give you feedback from some guys in our group who are new to the ISG.

Thanks for your reply Chris. Bob Lipinski has done some contests involving no-setting TSGs that have been popular; just wanted to give you feedback from some guys in our group who are new to the ISG.

Bob - my hands aren't exactly huge at 7 5/8". What sized hands do these guys have?

I haven't measured them, but smaller than mine (which I think are the same as yours). I'd guess they are around 7 and 1/2 or slightly smaller. I just noticed that they struggled more than I did with a no-set. I can't squeeze until I do a quick finger-walk but James Retarides and Robert Miller (red nail cert after just a few months of bending) both got frustrated with trying to do it one-handed.

I haven't measured them, but smaller than mine (which I think are the same as yours). I'd guess they are around 7 and 1/2 or slightly smaller. I just noticed that they struggled more than I did with a no-set. I can't squeeze until I do a quick finger-walk but James Retarides and Robert Miller (red nail cert after just a few months of bending) both got frustrated with trying to do it one-handed.

Bob - what I do is hold the ISG in my left hand - adjust my right hand by pushing down on the top frame handle a little (but the handle cannot come off the stop) - then squeeze. You can use the left hand while you put your right hand on the handle the way you want it - maybe that's what I do differently that is hurting you guys? So it's not really a Table No Set the same way a TSG is. Try it this way and see what you all think of it. It's more like what I allow with the choked gripper as an explanation maybe.

Its a different feel than a TSG and the handle is not set in the hand the same way (the long frame doesn't allow you to set the end of the handle deep in your palm) - its a different event but a little practice should work the bugs out easily enough. I think those people who are used to "setting" TSGs will have more trouble with the ISG than people who aren't as skilled at the setting process - one big reason I want to do this - the whole "setting" thing drives me crazy. The grip machine handle is adjustable for ROM. I guess I need to do a video of what is going to be allowed.

Bob are these guys coming to Gripmas?

Edited by climber511
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info Chris! We are both indeed coming to gripmas this year.

James & I are both former armwrestlers & unfortunately have shorter thick-hands.

Post a vid if you would &:we'll start honing in our technique with the time we have left!

Thanks, Robert.

Thanks for the info Chris! We are both indeed coming to gripmas this year.

James & I are both former armwrestlers & unfortunately have shorter thick-hands.

Post a vid if you would &:we'll start honing in our technique with the time we have left!

Thanks, Robert.

Robert - Great to hear you guys are coming! I think you'll find that what I have in mind isn't going to be as bad as you expect. I'll show what I have in mind in the video for everyone.

Chris thanks for your thoughtful reply. I apologize for my slow reply as I was seeking an answer to your question re: how many guys were coming, which has been partially answered by Robert. Jason Otto is also coming and you should have all of their money this week.

Robert Miller

Jason Otto

James Retarides

Are also signed up. Friends of Bob Sundin - I believe they are all arm wrestlers

• 3 weeks later...

I will be there this year! I'm looking forward to seeing everyone!

Nice!

chris,

I know you had talked about adding in another event. it seems like the sledge front lift that Jedd and Daniel ran has gotten good praise. seems like it would run pretty quick and require little set up/equipment. just as a suggestion if you were still looking for another event.

chris,

I know you had talked about adding in another event. it seems like the sledge front lift that Jedd and Daniel ran has gotten good praise. seems like it would run pretty quick and require little set up/equipment. just as a suggestion if you were still looking for another event.

Brent - I've been trying it in preparation for JL's contest next month. Other than I suck at it - it's a fun and easy to judge lift. Still thinking about things - I have the ISG light system figured out - just need to get a piece welded up for it and it will be done. Have been kicking around moving it to our Recreation Center if I get many signed up - so far of course not very many advance sign ups. In the past I was using so much equipment it was a nightmare thinging of getting everything moved over - but this time would be pretty simple.