Met-rx Odd Haugen Strength Classic

Kashtan

ou know what happened at the LA FitExpo, so get ready for the next chapter as strongman, grip strength and Mas wrestling are all on the card again when the MET-Rx Odd Haugen Strength Classic heads to Northern California FitExpo this summer.

Strongman, grip strength and Mas wrestling are on the card when the Odd Haugen Strength Classic comes to Northern California this summer. IronMind® | Image courtesy of Odd Haugen.
For strongman, Haugen’s got a new twist: he has events divided into five categories ("buckets"):
• Overhead
• Carry/Grip
• Static Lift
• Classic
• Stones
Within each of these categories, he has five events, so, 

for example, the Overhead bucket has these events:
• 308-lb. Log Lift, reps
• 308-lb. Viking Press, reps
• 308-lb. Axle, reps
• 181-lb. Giant Dumbbell, reps
• Overhead Medley
Each competitor choses one event per bucket when he enters and each of these selections becomes a ballot and goes into a hat. On the day of the contest, one ballot will drawn for each bucket—determining the event for that category.
This contest is on Saturday, June 29, 2013 and the winner of this contest gets his ASC pro card, so if you’re ready to run with the big dogs in strongman, here’s how you can prove it.
Got a grip? Then the IronMind Record Breaker, on Sunday June 30, 2013, is for you. Here are the five events and you can enter any or all of them:
Double Overhand Deadlift on IronMind Apollon’s Axle
IronMind Rolling Thunder
IronMind Hub
Captains of Crush Silver Bullet Hold
IronMind Little Big Horn Anvil Lift
You know what Mike Burke did at Odd Haugen’s last grip contest—are those records about to become history?
Quick: What’s Mas wrestling? You know, the sport from Northern Russia where two athletes sit facing each other, with their feet braced against a board; they hold a stick and each tries to pull the other out of position. Competitors and fans alike loved it at the LA FitExpo and Haugen is holding the US Open Mas Wrestling Championships, also on Sunday, so get ready to plant your feet, lock your hands and pull.
Here's a link to the entry forms.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Okay, a few days ago, I see that a former World Record Holder in the Silver Bullet is traveling from Russia to be in Santa Clara (10 miles from San Jose) California to compete in the IronMind Record Breakers contest:

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/Articles/2013/Apr/Russian_Grip_Strength_Star_Alexey_Tyukalov_Will_Compete_in_IronMind_Record_Breakers.html

Edited by Hubgeezer
  • Like 1

Okay, a few days ago, I see that a former World Record Holder in the Silver Bullet is traveling from Russia to be in Santa Clara (10 miles from San Jose) California to compete in the IronMind Record Breakers contest:

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/Articles/2013/Apr/Russian_Grip_Strength_Star_Alexey_Tyukalov_Will_Compete_in_IronMind_Record_Breakers.html

Then, a few days later, I see that another former World Record Holder (Apollon's Axle) is traveling across the US to be in the same contest:

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/Articles/2013/May/IronMind_Record_Breakers_Welcomes_Rich_Williams.html

So, tonight, I checked all 5 boxes on the entry form for all 5 events, and sent in my 50 bucks to Haugen to register for it. I am so used to having to travel long distances for anything Grip, it is nice to have something in your own back yard for a change.

• Like 2

Awesome!

Good luck!

Try to get some pictures or videos of the event if at all possible I'm looking forward to seeing the action.

I would love to go but have other plans for that weekend hope to make it next year though just to watch mainly.

Edited by Stephen Ruby

Awesome!

Good luck!

Try to get some pictures or videos of the event if at all possible I'm looking forward to seeing the action.

I would love to go but have other plans for that weekend hope to make it next year though just to watch mainly.

Other plans for that weekend?? Where is that Fresno Bulldog animal spirit?

Wow! Mike Burke, Rich Williams, and Alexey Tyukalov all competing in the same event? There will certainly be some insane numbers lifted!

• Like 1

I read this and thought, "Burke's in too? How did he know that? Then this:

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/Articles/2013/May/Mike_Burke_is_in_for_the_IronMind_Record_Breakers.html

Wow.

Wow! Mike Burke, Rich Williams, and Alexey Tyukalov all competing in the same event? There will certainly be some insane numbers lifted!

Kind of a waste of everyone's time if I sign up. :sleeping: I was going to try the SB, Horne, and maybe something else.

Last year, I only signed up for 3 of the 5. Then, I no-lifted the 4th, the opener on the Axle. And, I wish I would have done the LBH. So, my attitude this time was go for all of them. Not many spectators last year. Don't get me wrong, more than any grip contest I had ever been in before, but "low" by the standards of an "Expo". No question there will be more this time around, as the Event (the Expo) will be growing each year. When you are a Geezer, you don't care what people think of your performance. At my same level of strength level as I have now, if I was 30 years old, would I compete (maybe I should have said "enter", not "compete") in a deal like this? Probably not. But when you get older you realize there won't be that many chances or opportunities available to you, so you tend to go for it. It is the opposite of what people expect from Geezers, but that's the way I see it...

Kind of a waste of everyone's time if I sign up. :sleeping: I was going to try the SB, Horne, and maybe something else.

• Like 1

Dude.

Do it.

Then, no matter how you do, at least you can say "I competed and did such-and-such" instead of "oh I didnt even bother."

Edited by Mephistopholes

i was mostly joking. i plan to be there.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Men's Division

Joel Dircks (Minnesota)

Jeffrey Pearson (Oregon)

Clay Edgin (California)

Michael Corlett (California)

Alexey Tyukalov (Russia)

Rich Williams (South Carolina)

Micheal Burke (Colorado)

Jon Eklund (California)

John Machnik (California)

Sean Demarinis (California)

Evan Hansmann (California)

Shaun Reid (California)

Women's Division

Lacy Okey (Washington)

Amy Wattles (Idaho)

Amenah Razeghi (California)

post-16785-0-09145200-1371470038_thumb.j

I'm a little surprised that the top lift on the Little Big Horn was only 176 lbs. Did 176 look easy for him? Did he stop there only because it was enough to win?

Nice job mike!

And Eric, I was wondering the same thing... 176 seems kinda low.

I don't know if it was the same one as last year. It seemed very "anvil-like".

The opening was 154, and everyone either made it or missed, and then only Burke got anything more than that. My notes say nothing, and I will have to check the worksheets that I may get access to.

It was the last event, and in between the 4th and last event, while attempting an impromptu Number 4 Certification, something in one of Burke's fingers (a tendon?) seemed to pop. That may have affected his LBH. I can't explain the low numbers for everyone else.