Mount Depth Beef Builder

Grind

This week I received 3 beefbuilders BBSM, BBGM, BBE. These are from the latest batch and all ratings from this batch are very high.

When I rated these grippers I noticed that the mount of the BB's are very deep. Normally these are about 1/16" (1,5mm) but the Elite (186lb) for example is -1/32" / -0,7mm. I placed a picture in autocad scaled it and measured the mount distance.

I also did this with a Ironmind gripper and the mount depth is 2,7mm. That's a difference of 3,5mm.

I was wondering if anyone here has removed the spring pin of the beefbuilder and drill another holle in the spring to create different mount depth.

post-24005-0-75883600-1435446578.jpg

post-24005-0-72527300-1435446545.jpg

post-24005-0-72527300-1435446545_thumb.j

post-24005-0-75883600-1435446578_thumb.j

• Like 1

Yes, Warren's stuff has been DEEP for a while.

If you're going to go through the work of remounting, just make it adjustable.

• Like 2

That's a dandy BBE, bet that sucker minds like crazy on the bottom end.

The BB stuff is buried, I like it myself because it really forces you to focus on the last 1/8".

If you really need it converted to an adjustable I can probably do that for you.

• Like 2

I use Aaron's adjustable BB SM all the time. Great workout tool.

• Like 1

The BB stuff is buried, I like it myself because it really forces you to focus on the last 1/8".

I have one of these newer elites, 182# I think, and the sweep is actually tougher than that #4 you sold me. A monstrosity to be sure.

I can only chest crush either gripper in question btw. Didn't mean to sound like I was close to closing either, heh.

I have one of these newer elites, 182# I think, and the sweep is actually tougher than that #4 you sold me. A monstrosity to be sure.

I can only chest crush either gripper in question btw. Didn't mean to sound like I was close to closing either, heh.

Sounds like a real monster.

This week I received 3 beefbuilders BBSM, BBGM, BBE. These are from the latest batch and all ratings from this batch are very high.

When I rated these grippers I noticed that the mount of the BB's are very deep. Normally these are about 1/16" (1,5mm) but the Elite (186lb) for example is -1/32" / -0,7mm. I placed a picture in autocad scaled it and measured the mount distance.

I also did this with a Ironmind gripper and the mount depth is 2,7mm. That's a difference of 3,5mm.

I was wondering if anyone here has removed the spring pin of the beefbuilder and drill another holle in the spring to create different mount depth.

post-24005-0-75883600-1435446578.jpg

post-24005-0-72527300-1435446545.jpg

Where did you get these grippers? Weighlifter's Warehouse?

my regular elite is 177 (from Bill Ennis) , my elite hybrid 189 (from CPW) and my elite ext 165 (CPW).

My 189 elite is the highest I know of.

I haven't even closed my 154 GM yet so it doesn't matter that much to me.

Regardless of this variability in ratings Tetting grippers are becoming my favorite grippers to train with.

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos

If you really need it converted to an adjustable I can probably do that for you.

Unfortunately I don't live in the US the shipping costs only will cost me a fortune.

I was wondering how you made it possible to make jumps of just 1mm. Is it possible you can elaborate or make some pictures? I would be very grateful to you.

Where did you get these grippers? Weighlifter's Warehouse?

CPW and Matt gave me great service with my shipping request.

I think that some have used the already setup Silvis handles from their adjustable mount line and removed the original Tettings handles. My method involves removing handles, filling holes in the spring and modifying it as well as machining operations on the original handles. Not something I would recommend unless one had both the tools and machinist skills. As far 1mm increments I use a metric Allen set as standards when setting the mount across the top of the handle to the bottom of spring.

-Aaron

Ok thnx and do you use 4 set screws (2 in one handle) for one gripper?

And what is the reason why you fill the holes in the spring? Can't you just leave the hole?

Ok thnx and do you use 4 set screws (2 in one handle) for one gripper?

And what is the reason why you fill the holes in the spring? Can't you just leave the hole?

I use 2 small ones not 4 large ones. If you do not modify the spring then the 4 large ones are really necessary to stop the handles from moving / spinning during the close. I modify the spring slightly so that less clamping pressure is required for it to not move and it stays put better. The holes are filled for structural reasons as well as if you try to set a mount close to the original the set screws tend to move into the original hole and ruin the set screw threads.

- Aaron

Thnx Cannon mentioned that you made a flat surface on the spring where the point of the set screw holds it in place. How come the Silvis handles don't move/spin when you close them? These handles also have only two screws, is it because they are not at opposite side?

Thnx Cannon mentioned that you made a flat surface on the spring where the point of the set screw holds it in place. How come the Silvis handles don't move/spin when you close them? These handles also have only two screws, is it because they are not at opposite side?

I cannot really speak to what they have as I have not seen one up close. I was under the impression they used larger standard set screws which could have some bite on the spring. I use ground flat faced ones so as to get a good solid hold on the flat surface I add to the springs. 2 different things. Also I expect my setup to hold to #4 levels and above which it does on BBGE's. Biggest ones I have done are BB Pro's and FBBC P2's which are also Pro or BBWC level. I'm not aware of any factory Silvis grippers with closing pressures that high. I've converted over a hundred grippers through the years since the first ones I did in 2008 or 2009. The first ones did not have the flat and the handles would spin with only 2 of the smaller size set screws. I can tell you that much on bigger grippers like Elites and above.

- Aaron

Edited by acorn

Ok I have a friend who works with metal and will ask him to tap a m4 thread in the existing 3mm holes that Tetting made to place the spring pin.

Then I will place two small m4x5mm set screws and will make a small flat surface on the side of the spring so the handles don't rotate. You think m4 is large enough or do you use m5?

How cool would it be to have 3 tetting adjustable grippers. :rock

With my RGC device I can create the number I want starting from 110lb till 185lb.

Ok I have a friend who works with metal and will ask him to tap a m4 thread in the existing 3mm holes that Tetting made to place the spring pin.

Then I will place two small m4x5mm set screws and will make a small flat surface on the side of the spring so the handles don't rotate. You think m4 is large enough or do you use m5?

With my RGC device I can create the number I want starting from 110lb till 185lb.

Good luck

m4? I thought you use a smaller diameter than that Aaron? Granted I think an m4 would definitely work.

Good luck

Thnx. I will update this topic when the modification has been done.

m4? I thought you use a smaller diameter than that Aaron? Granted I think an m4 would definitely work.

Smaller than m4 isn't possible I think. The holle that Tetting drilled is 3mm.

For a m3 a holle needs to be 2.5mm.

• 3 months later...

The grippers have been modified to adjustable grippers. My friend did a great job. He welded the drill hole in the spring and made a flat surface on one side so the setscrew prevents the handles to rotate. The handles feel very sturdy. I'm one happy gripster! :mosher:rock:grin:

Only thing that rests now is to rate the grippers. Ratings will probably be close to the ones that Matti Heiskanen rated.

Is 10mm the maximum mount depth to use to prevent damage to the spring?

- Miles Adj.BBGM 10mm / 54,5kg / 120.53 lbs / rating = 2.25

- Miles Adj.BBGM 9mm / 56 kg / 123.62 lbs / rating = 2.34
- Miles Adj.BBGM 8mm / 56.5 kg / 124.72lbs / rating = 2.37
- Miles Adj.BBGM 7mm / 57.5 kg / 126.95 lbs / rating = 2.42
- Miles Adj.BBGM 6mm / 58.5 kg / 129.13 lbs / rating = 2.48
- Miles Adj.BBGM 5mm / 61 kg / 137.95134.7 lbs / rating = 2.61
- Miles Adj.BBGM 4mm / 62 kg / 136.86 lbs / rating = 2.67
- Miles Adj.BBGM 3mm / 62.5 kg / 137.95 lbs / rating = 2.70
- Miles Adj.BBGM 2mm / 63.5 kg / 140.17 lbs / rating = 2.75
- Miles Adj.BBGM 1mm / 65 kg / 143.5 lbs / rating = 2.84
- Miles Adj.BBGM 0mm / 64.5 kg / 146.8 lbs / rating = 2.92
- Miles Adj.BBGM -1mm / 67 kg / 147.9 lbs / rating = 2.95