Grip Museum For The Grip Board!

mightyjoe

Have you given any thought to, or made any plans for, what will happen to the Museum's collection in the unfortunate event that you pass on or are otherwise incapacitated by ill health?

Have you given any thought to, or made any plans for, what will happen to the Museum's collection in the unfortunate event that you pass on or are otherwise incapacitated by ill health?

Yes! It will go to my wife and 2 sons who will legally own it anyways.

We have given thought to donating the collection to the Stark Museum in the event my family

no longer wants to maintain the collection but that will be up to them. I can assure you that any donated

item will never be sold or traded. If my family decided not to donate the collection and sell the collection(the items I actually paid for that are part of the collection) then the donated items will go to the Stark Museum or back to the donor. This is precisely why I keep meticulous records of the contents in my collection. Any donated item is marked and recorded as such and this record is stored in a safe location

for future reference if needed. At this point my wife and 2 sons have no intention of ever selling the collection (if I die) but preserving it

for anyone to see and/or visit. I can tell you that if I die and the collection is left in their hands that it's safe to say that the museum/collection

will probably not continue to grow but remain as is with no other items being added.

Hope this answers your question/concerns!

Joe,

It does, thanks. When it comes to Museums and Collections it's always good to know what is in place for the future - a lot of "history" and research has been lost in many fields this way.

Chris

Joe,

It does, thanks. When it comes to Museums and Collections it's always good to know what is in place for the future - a lot of "history" and research has been lost in many fields this way.

Chris

You are correct Chris and I appreciate the question!

Here's a Russian Grip Dynamometer from Russia that I received last week and now

have on display in the museum!

This dyno works very well! It goes to 30 kg./66 lbs. and to reset it back to zero you simply

rotate the dial in the back of the unit and you're set to go! This dyno is marked as an unknown

manufacturer at this point because Natalia didn't know and I do not know at this point. I believe David

Horne has a similar dyno in his collection and maybe he can enlighten us on a manufacturer?

Big Thanks to Natalia Aksak from Russia for this wonderful donation to the Grip Museum!!!

Hope you enjoy the pics! :)

post-14752-0-21663300-1374801879_thumb.j

post-14752-0-97801600-1374801892_thumb.j

post-14752-0-85020200-1374801906_thumb.j

post-14752-0-34285500-1374801918_thumb.j

I don't know the manufacturer, but it possibly will have the date of manufacture on the back, mine was 1974.

Here's a Russian Grip Dynamometer from Russia that I received last week and now

have on display in the museum!

This dyno works very well! It goes to 30 kg./66 lbs. and to reset it back to zero you simply

rotate the dial in the back of the unit and you're set to go! This dyno is marked as an unknown

manufacturer at this point because Natalia didn't know and I do not know at this point. I believe David

Horne has a similar dyno in his collection and maybe he can enlighten us on a manufacturer?

Big Thanks to Natalia Aksak from Russia for this wonderful donation to the Grip Museum!!!

Hope you enjoy the pics! :)

It sure does!

The manufacturers date is 1971. I had to use a 10x loupe to read the numbers.

Thanks David!

Joe,

Where does that #4 rate.

My prediction is 185.

I haven't got to rate it yet Sam but I'll post it here when I do buddy!

Yesterday I was up till 1:00 am moving my power rack upstairs instead of it sitting out in the

shed unused the majority of the year because it's either too hot or too cold to train out there.

I got it all done and now I can rate grippers in an controlled environment anytime now. PLUS,

I bought a neat device that will seal the deal on rating grippers as far as max force numbers.

I'll try and get it set up this weekend for a review. We are remodeling and painting our bathroom

this weekend so not much spare time.

BTW, I'm making a special display for these Szimanski Test Grippers and I think everyone will indeed like it!

Joe - there's only one place left to look for the PDA Gripper paper - I'll check there today - it's always the last place we look :)

I found it - just have to go get it copied - it's 40 pages long. Joe PM me your mailing address please.

I found it - just have to go get it copied - it's 40 pages long. Joe PM me your mailing address please.

Thanks Chris!

PM sent!!!

Joe,

Where does that #4 rate.

My prediction is 185.

The PDA #4 Test Gripper rated @ 190.0 lbs. today! You was very close Sam!!!

UPDATE!

Rated 15 more grippers from the collection today and below is the new number and all

15 grippers were rated with my new DDM rating system! With my NEW ratchet style chain

hoist secured inline with my digital scale I can now guarantee accuracy to +/- 6.4 oz. :rock

Total Number of Rated Grippers: 151

Highest Rated Gripper: World Class @ 285.8 lbs.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE!

Total Number of Rated Grippers: 161

Edited by Mighty Joe
  • Like 1

Is/was there any real changes to what grippers read or have results been predictable and in a close range.? Overall range of #3.....#4s?

Is/was there any real changes to what grippers read or have results been predictable and in a close range.? Overall range of #3.....#4s?

Thanks for the great question Richard!

I will have to take some notes and get some averages. Please note that I can only compare numbers with spring size

at the moment due to other variables that I can't control such as handle spread, spring quality, etc. I will get some

averages posted this week and we can see.

I will get averages on spring sizes for #2, 3, and 4 type grippers. By spring diameter that is. I will further break it down

by brand as well. For example, COC #3's, GHP's 7 and Tetting Grand Masters and so on.

Edited by Mighty Joe

You mentioned handle spread. Is shutting a gripper over a longer sweep create more work done in the feat or less? Would shutting a gripper of the same ultimate closing strength be harder if that resistance sweep was more or even twice as far? Say 1 inch as opposed to two inch sweep or is it all the same?

You mentioned handle spread. Is shutting a gripper over a longer sweep create more work done in the feat or less? Would shutting a gripper of the same ultimate closing strength be harder if that resistance sweep was more or even twice as far? Say 1 inch as opposed to two inch sweep or is it all the same?

More! Yes!

Even though the total closing force is the same you are moving that force over a longer distance (ROM) which

is equal to more work.

The reason a wider spread gripper seems harder than a narrow spread or even a normal spread gripper of

the same total closing force is because you are starting the close from a wider hand position which is a weaker

position than a more narrow hand position.

Make sense? If not, I'll try a better explanation.

Thanks for such a good question Richard!

Wish there was a device that registered the amount of work to close a gripper through its full range. A example question would be if a 1.5 gripper was closed with a full 2" sweep would more or less actual work be done than say a # 2 closed from an inch out set? Since the hand and gripper position changes through a full range close and a deep set is a hand set in a more favorable end set position the short close is almost like an isometric exercise. In study partials or isometrics only really build strength at the range and angle they are used at .Perhaps partials might not help you get over that hump and certified as quick as hoped. This stuff is just simple food for grip thought. Logical answers are welcomed.

• 5 months later...

Updated contributors list to the Grip Museum with Alawahdi the latest addition to the list.

Grip Museum Contributors- 38

Richard Sorin, GBM

Warren Tetting

David Horne, GBM

Jedd Johnson, GBM

Arian Tepper, GBM

Bill Piche, Grip Board owner/founder

Adam Moyers, GBM

Wade Gillingham, GBM

Robert Baraban, GBM

Richard MacLean, GBM

Seung Min Bae, GBM

Michael Murphy

Sam Scott, GBM

Yori Skutt, GBM

Kevin Collen, GBM

Gordon Vizecky, GBM

Kate Smith

Maliuzhets Oksana

Eric Milfeld, GBM

Paul Knight, GBM

Andrew Durniat, GBM

Rob Vigeant, GBM

Chris Rice, GBM

Juhu Harju, GBM

Terry Todd,

Jan Todd

Dennis Rogers

Tim Struse, GBM

Bobby Bourrell, GBM

Ryan Pitts, GBM

Steve Pekarskiy

Andrew Geertsema

Philip Cardarella, GBM

Natalia Aksak

Tommy Jennings, GBM

Matt Cannon, GBM

Teemu IIvesniemi, GBM

Bader Samir Tayeb (Alawahdi), GBM

• Like 1

UPDATED Listings as of February 1, 2014:

Total Grippers = 320 (previous number was 311)
Grippers by Type: 11
Torsion Spring Grippers = 276
Vulcan Type Grippers = 9
Ivanko Super Grippers = 2
Frame Type Grippers = 2
Compression Spring Type = 3
Grip Spring DB’s = 6
Others = 4
Grippers by Brand: 36 (latest brand in bold)
Alex
AtomGripz
BCG
Beef Builders - made by Warren Tetting
Bone Crusher
Emenee
Everlast
FBBC - Fat Bastard Barbell Company
Generation II
GHP - Gillingham High Performance
GNC - General Nutrition Center
Gold’s Gym
Grip Master - Pro Hands
Harbinger
Heavy Grips
Horne, David - Vulcan
Hubert Brown
Iron Mind - Captains of Crush
Iron Grip
Ivanko
Jubinville - Super Gripper
Kool
Manus Grip - Silvis Grip
Python Grip
Robert Baraban - RB Grippers
Samson
Sandow
Sears
Socha - Iron Hand
Spri
Tetting - Thor
Valeo
Voit - AMF
Weider
Whitely
York
Hand Grippers by Countries: 17, (with latest country in bold)
Austria
Canada
China
England
Europe
France
Germany
Israel
Italy
Japan
Korea
Poland
Russia
S. Korea
Taiwan
Ukraine
United States
  • Like 1

UPDATE!

Total Number of Rated Grippers: 161

UPDATE: Total Number of rated grippers is now 167 as of February 1, 2014!

The latest donation for the Grip Museum can be read about here: http://musselwhitepapers.blogspot.com/

HUGE Thanks to Alawahdi for his donation and generosity!!!

• Like 2

Alex
AtomGripz
BCG
Beef Builders - made by Warren Tetting
Bone Crusher
Emenee
Everlast
FBBC - Fat Bastard Barbell Company
Generation II
GHP - Gillingham High Performance
GNC - General Nutrition Center
Gold’s Gym
Grip Master - Pro Hands
Harbinger
Heavy Grips
Horne, David - Vulcan
Hubert Brown
Iron Mind - Captains of Crush
Iron Grip
Ivanko
Jubinville - Super Gripper
Kool
Manus Grip - Silvis Grip
Python Grip
Robert Baraban - RB Grippers
Samson
Sandow
Sears
Socha - Iron Hand
Spri
Tetting - Thor
Valeo
Voit - AMF
Weider
Whitely
York

Great to see you back after a long hiatus from GB.com

Quick question, what happened to the PDA Grippers? They haven't been included on the list.