First Red Nail On Video

Billy Jack

Hey guys,

I decided to start bending seriously and training for the Red Nail on 9/28/14. I had bent maybe 20-25 bars prior to that just messing around from time to time over the previous year. I bought some IM pads from EJ the week before I started and decided it was time to give bending a legit shot. I was barely able to kink a piece of "J" drill rod when I started on 9/27. Thanks to Jedd's bending dvd, some great advice from EJ and Ben Edwards, and getting pumped up from watching many of Tommy's and Paul's videos, I got my first full bend on 10/29/14. I did not have any video because I completely surprised myself that day. Here is the link to my last attempt on 11/3:

http://youtu.be/QHrQ9yWVSxc The bend starts around 4:00.

Just wanted to let all the new benders out there know that we have some of the greatest people on this board to give advice about bending and to help with any questions we may have. I wanted to keep this journey on the down low until I certed, but I have progressed so quickly that I did not want to pass up the chance to show the new guys like me that it can be done if you don't stop and if you listen to all the advice on this board that is available. Thanks for watching.

Kyle

Edited by Billy Jack
  • Like 6

Nice bend! :)

• Like 1

Congratulations on a huge bend.

• Like 1

Congratulations you killed it. I assume you are going to cert it?

• Like 1

Thanks guys for all the congrats. I appreciate it.

Congratulations you killed it. I assume you are going to cert it?

I do plan on certifying. My goal was to be the first one of 2015, but I did not expect to be able to do it this soon. I am going to try to bend the remaining 23 Red Nails I have before I do it though. I just bought this new lot of them last week. I will try to bend the remaining nails without rubber bands as I have not tried yet and have no idea if it will make any difference for me or not.

I will just have to see what happens as my wife just had our new baby on Halloween, so I do not have a lot of free time right now. The last couple of months have been really nice for me.

You killed that fast. Great bend.

• Like 1

Well done Billy jack!! Cert time soon brother!?

Edited by robertmiller67
  • Like 1

Kyle that was a GREAT bend. I'm so glad to see you kill this. Your progression is great. You NEED cert this red ASAP

• Like 1

Great work, Kyle! Thanks for the shout out too man. That is always appreciated. I look forward to seeing the announcement of your cert on the Ironmind site soon.

• Like 1

Thanks Chez, Robert, EJ, and Ben for the words of encouragement since my last post.

Kyle that was a GREAT bend. I'm so glad to see you kill this. Your progression is great. You NEED cert this red ASAP

I may go ahead and contact IM after my next bending session EJ. I just want a couple more bends under my belt. I want to be sure that the two Reds I have bent where not freakishly easy or something. But, I will go ahead and do it soon as you suggested. You're advice the last couple of months has not let me down yet, so I see no need to stop listening now.

• Like 1

Thanks Chez, Robert, EJ, and Ben for the words of encouragement since my last post.

I may go ahead and contact IM after my next bending session EJ. I just want a couple more bends under my belt. I want to be sure that the two Reds I have bent where not freakishly easy or something. But, I will go ahead and do it soon as you suggested. You're advice the last couple of months has not let me down yet, so I see no need to stop listening now.

This is good thinking. I bent over 50 reds, I believe, before I felt I was ready. Honestly you can never bend too many reds. My thinKing was, "am I strong enough to bend a red after I've been woken up at 3am with no warm up?"

• Like 1

You made that look easy. Really motivating stuff.

Thanks man. I have watched your recent bends. You will be able to do this by months end with yor recent progress. If I were you, I would go ahead and order some Red Nails so you can mentally prepare yourself. One session when you feel really good and pumped up you may even surprise yourself.

You made that look easy. Really motivating stuff.

Thanks man. I have watched your recent bends. You will be able to do this by months end with yor recent progress. If I were you, I would go ahead and order some Red Nails so you can mentally prepare yourself. One session when you feel really good and pumped up you may even surprise yourself.

I will order some new pads and a bundle of reds after the next paycheck. Once I put the work in I hope to be killing then as easily as you did in that video. It is extremely motivating to check on all the impressive bends guys are doing on here and it helps to keep me focused. I really think the gripboard is a great community of guys that want to see everyone succeed unlike most of the world that revels in everyone else's failure. I look forward to seeing you on the Red Nail roster soon. Keep on pushing your limits.

• Like 1

Thanks Tommy. It took me a few weeks to get my form and flexibility down pat. I am starting to feel much more comfortable with the bar up under me. We'll see how the journey continues, but I am fully addicted now. I just have to find the time to bend regularly.

Halloween birthday parties will be cool for my little girl in the future I am sure.