Sledgehammer Deadlift

David_wigren

Should this be posted in the grip section? I've never managed to figure out where the sledge stuff belongs. Sure there is no bending involved, but it's such a wrist dependent exercise that many use to improve their bending.

Anyhow I managed to deadlift my 10lbs sledge with a 31" handle by the end for the first time today. So in a pathetic attempt to honor Rex Hubbard, who took a 10lbs sledge and an 8lbs sledge for a farmers walk. I decided to try it myself. However my walk was MUCH shorter, and my lift was not as strict. But regardless of form, I'm just happy to be able to deadlift the 10lbser at all so I wanted to share it with you guys. :grin:

• Like 5

Nice walk!!!

Do you have a target distance in mind?

Awesome feat! I need to get another hammer so I can try this, I'll be choking way up the handle though.

Nice walk!!!

Do you have a target distance in mind?

No distance in particular, just wanted to add something to make it interesting, and incrimentally increase the difficulty.

10lb sledge with a 31'' handle aint no joke bro!

WORD! :rock

Thank you Tommy! How are you at feats like these? I imagine that auto mechanics would be rather strong with the sledges.

Awesome feat! I need to get another hammer so I can try this, I'll be choking way up the handle though.

I started doing these about 3 years ago after I saw Rex lift a 12lbs this way whilst keeping a coin on top of the head, and keeping the handle level enough to keep the coin from sliding off. I picked up a 6lbs sledge and was barely able to do it. I thought I had pretty strong wrists back then so I was a bit flabbergasted that I was was nowhere near Rex. So since then I've been doing this off and on with the goal of eventually lifting 12lbs. Still got miles to go though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFoksonUEHA here's the video of Rex's lift that I was talking about. Crazy stuff!

Pretty dang good for a skinny Swede! Fear the Fish! :)

That's some awesome wrist strength, and a great victory laugh.

I didn't mean to make this sound easy by seeming to think I could do it. I tried to lift an 8lb'er a while back and had to choke up the handle pretty far to get it.

I love Strenght Tribute Videos. Great work David! I proclaim you Grip Master of Örebro! = )

That is a tough feat David, very strong. While Rex was down here I saw him do some pretty un-real sledge stuff. One that sticks out was a super strict double with a 20 lber. I mean STRICT.

• Like 1

That was pretty buff considering you did two at once, didn't have any tape on the handles, and didn't look like you spent a whole lot of effort in setting up! :rock

That's one of those feats that the uninitiated will see and say..."What's the big deal?"

Fierce!

That's one of those feats that the uninitiated will see and say..."What's the big deal?"

Definitely.

I've explained levering to people before and they seem to not appreciate sledge hammer work unless they watch you touch the head of it to your nose/forehead/kiss it and particularly with this feat it's hard to appreciate the true wrist strength involved unless you've tried it yourself.

Pretty dang good for a skinny Swede! Fear the Fish! :)

Thank you Cletus! :grin: BTW have you ever given any of these types of lifts any serious work? I saw you dominate the 8lbs at some medley a while ago.

That's some awesome wrist strength, and a great victory laugh.

I didn't mean to make this sound easy by seeming to think I could do it. I tried to lift an 8lb'er a while back and had to choke up the handle pretty far to get it.

It's a very specific type of strength. Some have alot of it naturally, but most of us, myself included, have to patiently work our way up.

I love Strenght Tribute Videos. Great work David! I proclaim you Grip Master of Örebro! = )

Well I don't know about that. There are some pretty strong guys at ÖKK that are dominating me in the thick bar and pinch. But when it comes to wrist strength I do pretty well :). If I had to call anyone the Grip Master of Örebro it would be Erik Nilsson, the big hairy olympic lifter at ÖKK.

i was pretty solid with my right hand the last time i messed with a sledge. ..but i dont know about a double lift for a farmers walk bro... :whacked my left wrist lags bad.

I had that problem too, until I got a girlfriend. Then my left hand started to catch my right hand for some odd unexplained reason... :zorro:

That is a tough feat David, very strong. While Rex was down here I saw him do some pretty un-real sledge stuff. One that sticks out was a super strict double with a 20 lber. I mean STRICT.

Thank you Casey! Not that I think the Slim lift is a good measure of wrist strength, but it would've been interesting to see what Rex could've done with that, had he given it some serious work. I would think that he would break some old, supposedly impossible records. IMO Rex's strict sledgehammer deadlift with that 12lbser is the most impressive sledge related strengthfeat I've seen or heard about.

That was pretty buff considering you did two at once, didn't have any tape on the handles, and didn't look like you spent a whole lot of effort in setting up! :rock

Thank you Josh! I've never tried to use tape, but would it really help that much? I've roughen the wood on my sledges a bit so that they're not that slippery, would that be equal to using tape, or would the tape help even more?

Fierce!

Thank you! Yes it can be frustrating some times.

Definitely.

I've explained levering to people before and they seem to not appreciate sledge hammer work unless they watch you touch the head of it to your nose/forehead/kiss it and particularly with this feat it's hard to appreciate the true wrist strength involved unless you've tried it yourself.

Thank you! Yes, you show people a sledge lever that you've been working on for years and you get a "meh" in response. But if you rip a 500 page phonebook everyone starts craping their pants lol

Well I don't know about that. There are some pretty strong guys at ÖKK that are dominating me in the thick bar and pinch. But when it comes to wrist strength I do pretty well :). If I had to call anyone the Grip Master of Örebro it would be Erik Nilsson, the big hairy olympic lifter at ÖKK.

Overall strenght translates into a better grip ?!?!?!?! NO WAY! ;)

:chris:

The best I was ever able to accomplish was a 12 pounder in a medley but we were choked up a few inches as I recall.

The only person I've seen that could give Rex a run for his money was Bobby Goodfellow. He did a strict lift with my 17lb sledge on my wobbly old deck onetime.

Eaton has some incredible wrist strength too.

Would have been cool to see Brookfield give this a go in his prime as well.

Very well done :rock

Keep up the hammer work , good job

• 2 years later...

Ohh, I hadnt seen this vid before! Sick!!!!!

Well done!

Wow. That's some strong stuff.