Developing The Crushing And Healing Hand

DoctorOfCrush

So I just posted my intro to the intro board, but I want to start logging my gripper and other workouts. My ultimate goal in gripping is to close the #3 and GHP7 one day, but I know that I am WAY off of that goal at the time being.

My current grippers include:

CoC 0.5 filed down considerably

CoC 1

CoC 1.5 filed down

GHP4

CoC 2

GHP5

Thus far, I've basically had no idea what I've been doing. I didn't follow much of a plan apart from progressively repping grippers until I got tired = workout. Once I got the GHP5, workouts consisted of warmups followed by attempts at the #2 and GHP5. Then I switched over to warmups plus GHP4 5x10 reps with #2 singles mixed in. Now I'm basically going to add in negatives, holds, and measured reps (CCS, 20mm, etc.) for more structured workouts.

I welcome all input and advice. Thanks in advance.

• Like 2

Sept. 25 AM:

Warmups: 0.5, 1 overcrush, 1.5 overcrush

CCS: GHP4 x 5R, 3L (my left hand is much weaker in the sweep than I thought it would be; I've never done much CCS)

GHP4 x 5R, 3+2 forces L

GHP4 x 5R, 3+2 forces L

20mm: CoC #2 x 0R,0L (CCS drained my hands it seems)

Negatives: GHP5 x 1,1,1,1,1 (This was my first time doing negatives, and I think they are really going to help me progress, but I'll probably need a heavier gripper pretty soon. Popped open to ~1/8-1/4 in., held for 5-7 sec, 2 sec sweep)

20mm: CoC #2 x 0R, 0L (I really thought I could get these today)

5 sec Holds: CoC #2 x 1 (I'm going to do some of these before my negatives next time)

20mm: GHP4 x 3L, 3R

Obviously, today was all over the place, but I really was just trying to figure some things out. I think the flow of future workouts with be CCS w/ GHP4, holds with #2, negatives with GHP5, and 20mm with the GHP4.

Again, all feedback/advice is welcome.

Didn't realize I had done this back in July. Progression has been a bit more stagnant than I thought.

Welcome, Doc! The negs you're doing will benefit you plenty.

Maybe do them at the end when well warmed up. Those will give you the most power; I think rep work satisfies the "need" we have to work with grippers, but the most power would come from doing the negs, and rest....but that bore's most. but rep work is also good for the blood flow. Mix them up, and you'll be fine.

Oh ok, good call. I'll put them at the end. Would it be reasonable then to do CCS --> 20mm --> Holds --> Negatives?

Sept 25 Afternoon:

I've been taking the opportunity I've had on fall break to get in multiple workouts each day. All I did for this second one was alternating 45# dumbbell curls and pushups. I've added the curls every once in a while to hopefully increase my pullup capacity. Eventually when I can get a hold of plates I may start in on plate curls. . .

A. 45#x5/arm curl

90 sec

B. 20 pushups

90 sec

Workout totalled 25 curls/arm and 120 pushups. This was my first workout doing 20 pushups/set, and it wasn't too bad. I want to progress to doing about 30/set then move onto to doing increasing heights of pike press with the goal of being able to knock out handstand pushups again.

Sept 26 AM:

Warmup: 0.5, 1 overcrush, 1 inverted (I'd never done this, and it feels really weird, but I am noticeably weak at it), 1.5 overcrush

CCS: GHP4x 3L/5R for 3 sets I tried using my GHP handle covers to save my skin a bit, but they move way too much, so I resorted to tape at the bottom of the handle

20mm: GHP4x 3/5, 5/5, 5/5 I started taking more rest, and that helped a ton. I have been going right at 2 min rest, then I switched to 3.

5 sec closed hold: CoC #2x 1, 1 I basically just kept pushing it shut and holding it for the 5 sec. Hopefully I'll be able to hold it shut with just my strength soon.

Negatives: GHP5x 1, 1, 1, 1 These felt so much better on my hands with the tape. I'm going to post a few of these to see if I need to change up how I'm doing them.

CoC #2x 1 For this, I just wanted to see how it compared to the 5 right after doing it.

It's becoming pretty apparent that I need to work on my thenar eminence to help with setting the grippers, but I don't currently have a clamp or thumb screws around and won't for at least a while. Any suggestions on other things to get started?

Sept 27 AM:

Warmup: 0.5, 1 overcrush, 1.5 overcrush, GHP4 overcrush

CCS: GHP4x 5/5, 5/5, 5/5

20mm: CoC #2x 2R/1L, 2R/1L, 2R/1L For these, I was able to get the first set normally, but I did braced second reps on R and braced reps on L. This was the first time I had done those, and they made it so much easier!

5 sec Holds: CoC #2x 1, 1 I was actually able to keep these closed for the duration.

Negatives: GHP5x 1, 1, 1, 1, 1 The first few of these on the R actually started out closed completely.

I went to look at clamps yesterday and found one for only $3, so I got it for thumb work.

Thumb Clamp: 2 handed for 3x10, 3 negatives each side, one more set of ten

For the negatives, I clamp it shut with my off hand, let it go to parallel slowly, squeeze, let it go slowly to almost completely open, and re-squeeze.

This was the best gripping day I have had thus far. I was really surprised by the 20mm blocks sets especially.

Here's the first 20mm set. I realize now I had very little camera awareness. . .

Glad to know they LOOK easy haha. They felt as easy as they ever have though. Soon I will move on 30mm closes and hopefully CCS before too long. I think I'll have to purchase the 2.5 much sooner than I expected.

Sept 28 AM:

Warmup: 0.5, 1 OC, 1 inverted, 1.5 OC, GHP4 OC

CCS: GHP4 5/5, 5/5, 5/5 Some forced reps here and there for both hands

20mm: CoC #2 3/2, 3/2, 3/2 For all of these, the second and third reps were braced on the right and all were braced on the left. These were some of those sets where I knew that I was making myself a stronger human being.

Negatives: GHP5x 1, 1, 1, 1, 1

Thumb clamps: 3x10 w/ 2 thumbs, 3xNegatives, 5x10 w/ 2 thumbs

I could tell this morning that I had not fully recovered from the previous day, so I will rest tomorrow. I told myself at the beginning of this that I would gauge how many days I could maintain consistent training before noticing decreased performance and then rest and make that my training day to rest day ratio. Looks like I'll try out 4 on 1 off for a little while.

I just started my new away rotation, and the orientation today was incredibly drawn out, so I'm beat. I'll probably try some KB stuff in the AM.

Sept 29:

Simple and Sinister (KB)-

1-arm swings w/ 53# x10x6

1-arm swings w/ 70# x10x4

TGU w/ 70# x10

Time: 21:18

Clean & press complex (KB):

2 clean + 3 press w/ 53#

2 clean + 5 press w/ 53# x3

It has definitely been a while since I've pressed kbs, and my forearms can tell. I'm going to have to re-develop some tolerance to the spot where the bell rests. Looks like I'll be bruised up for a little while.

• Like 1

Sept 29:

Simple and Sinister (KB)-

1-arm swings w/ 53# x10x6

1-arm swings w/ 70# x10x4

TGU w/ 70# x10

Time: 21:18

Clean & press complex (KB):

2 clean + 3 press w/ 53#

2 clean + 5 press w/ 53# x3

It has definitely been a while since I've pressed kbs, and my forearms can tell. I'm going to have to re-develop some tolerance to the spot where the bell rests. Looks like I'll be bruised up for a little while.

Welcome to the board! Simple and Sinister is a great program. Are you on the StrongFirst forum, too?

• Like 1

No, I'm not currently. I'll have to check it out though. I've finally gotten back into after a short hiatus. I had progressed to doing all swings with 2 pood and all getups with 2.5 within the timeframe, but man I had forgotten how taxing it can be.

Sept 30 AM:

Warmup: 1 OC, 1 inverted, 0.5 OC, 1.5 OC, GHP4 OC

MMS: CoC#2 x1, GHP5 x(x) I was hoping that I could just knock this out after a day of rest, but I was dragging this morning and had a feeling early on this wasn't happening.

25 pushups

CCS: GHP4x 5/5, 5/5, 5/5

25 pushups

20mm: CoC#2 x2/1, 3/1, 3/1

25 pushups

Braced MMS: GHP5 x1 I'll post a video later.

25 pushups

Negatives: GHP5 x1, 1, 1

25 pushups

Holds: CoC#2 x(x), GHP4 x6-7L/ 8-9R

25 pushups

Those holds were a joke. I should have done them before my negatives, but I just totally forgot. I'll remember tomorrow to do them.

I started my thumb work, but I was not able to finish it, so I'm just going to start over later. This is the most pushups I have done in a while, so it was kind of tough. The long rest in between sets made it possible to have nice, explosive reps all the way through the sets.

All-in-all, meh day.

Sept 30 PM:

KB Skill Work- I practiced things like bent presses, windmills, bottom-up cleans, and some overhead squat style TGUs that I always find fun. I would have done bottom-up presses, but I don't have the 35# with me here, and I can't quite press the 53# yet. This is the stuff I love and what keeps really into the kettlebells. Fun stuff.

One-Arm Long Cycle: 53# x10 (5/5) x3

Some of the other medical students I'm with here convinced me to try some palates they do from videos on youtube, and I'll admit it was surprisingly tough. It was just basically doing weird crunch and leg raise variations for 10 minutes without stopping.

Thumb clamp: 3x10 both thumbs, 3x negatives, 3x10 both thumbs

Oct 1 AM:

Not expecting a ton as I slept very little last night, and it is quite early. . .

Warmup: 1 OC, 1 inverted (still can't get the hang of these; couldn't close on the left), 0.5 OC, 1.5 OC, GHP4 OC

CCS: GHP4x 5/5, 5/5, 5/5 The last 2 reps of the last 2 sets on L were braced reps, but I feel better doing those than forced reps. Felt very strong on the R.

20mm: CoC2 x 3/2 (a few braced reps), 3/1x, 3/1x I was about 2-3mm away from those second closes on the L.

Holds: I used a 18-19mm lock for this. CoC2 x12s/7s I only did 1 set because I wanted at least a little something left for the negative. My L arm is fried at this point already.

Negatives: GHP5x 1, 1, 1 Ugh, these annihilated my hands

Thumb Clamp: 3x10 both thumbs, 3xNegatives, 3x10 both thumbs

Oct 1 PM:

I was really tired before I started but decided to just push through and try some stuff out.

5 squats + 3 presses: 53# x5 complexes/hand Each set would consist starting on my left hand and mid-air swapping to right after the presses.

Bottom-Up Cleans: 53# x5x5 I'll be pretty darn stoked when I can just start pressing these.

TGU: 70#x10 (5/5) in 7:02

Press: 53# x5x5

I'd be lying if I said I didn't love every minute of this workout.

Oct 2 AM:

Changed it up a bit this morning to give the skin on my fingers a little bit of reprieve.

Warmup: #1 OC, 1 OC, 0.5 OC, 1.5 OC, GHP4

20mm: GHP4x7/7

MMS: CoC2 x3/2 Last reps on both hands were braced for completion

GHP5 x1b/(x)

GHP5 x1/1b This is the first close of GHP5 I've had in quite some time

GHP5 x1 (maybe, very close) / (x)

CoC2 x3/2 Last reps braced

5 sec hold: CoC2 x1/1

Negatives: GHP5 x1, 1, 1

Thumb Clamps: 10, 15, 15, 3xNegatives, 3x15