Primal Punch

ZFJango

Most people I think only train grippers once a week.

I train them twice a week but my the days are really spread apart and one of those days is really really light like maybe 60% of what I can do.

That is smart. I am doing grippers 3-5 days a week, but I do my Ladder Workout with the RBA, so the bulk of my gripper workout is low weight reps. I am skipping negatives. In my other strength training, I have had remarkably good results from using the Ladder technique, so, if it ain't broke... My hands are beat because I pushed stupid hard on the 2.5 and the HG300. I knew better, yet still I got stupid. I just pay attention to my hands and wrists, if I start to get that bone-deep ache, I will take a week off for sure. Thank you, Jared. I appreciate you.

Maybe you're already doing these things but hand is important, stretching your hands, wrists, and forearms. Mike suggested I start putting coconut oil my hands cause healthly, hydrated skin will stretch and not break and rip open.

Also extensor work is good.

• Like 1

I train them twice a week but my the days are really spread apart and one of those days is really really light like maybe 60% of what I can do.

That is smart. I am doing grippers 3-5 days a week, but I do my Ladder Workout with the RBA, so the bulk of my gripper workout is low weight reps. I am skipping negatives. In my other strength training, I have had remarkably good results from using the Ladder technique, so, if it ain't broke... My hands are beat because I pushed stupid hard on the 2.5 and the HG300. I knew better, yet still I got stupid. I just pay attention to my hands and wrists, if I start to get that bone-deep ache, I will take a week off for sure. Thank you, Jared. I appreciate you.

Maybe you're already doing these things but hand is important, stretching your hands, wrists, and forearms. Mike suggested I start putting coconut oil my hands cause healthly, hydrated skin will stretch and not break and rip open.

Also extensor work is good.

I am definitely on board with the extensor work! I have been using the heavy rubber bands I got a week or so ago, and it makes a huge difference. I am going to do the coconut oil, bro. Thank you. My right hand ripped in a couple of spots where it is really dry, sso I will do the oil right now. Thank you for that. I ended up patching the rips with super glue and toilet paper so I could finish up.

I just put it on before bed and let it soak in. Since I have been doing this I no longer have any tears on the Euro.

Yep I agree. I've experimented with everything from 4 days a week to 1 day a week.

I always find myself settling on 1 grip training session per week, moderately heavy. Anything more and it feels like someone cuts my right arm above the elbow and pours cement down to my fingers. I always do my grip workout during my first weightlifting session of the week, which almost always falls on Friday (crazy work schedule, so my lifting schedule is odd as well).

I do grippers between sets of squats and presses. I find this to be optimal, as squats really get the central nervous system firing and allow for stronger closes and more endurance. I used to pretty much do a max out 2 or more times a week, and it just wasn't productive. It was a waste of time and actually set me back. My program now is somewhat loose, but is roughly based around 5 working sets of 5 reps, with 75-80% of my max effort. And that whole 75-80% thing is just an approximation, as you can't fine tune and microload a gripper in the same way you can a barbell. I can microload my barbell in 1 lb increments, and with my Silvis adjustable I can get within 5-10 pounds by feel alone. So it's great but not perfect.

Sometimes it goes beyond 5 sets and 5 reps, depending on how my body feels.

All this to say, I'd hate to see you get a repetitive motion injury from grippers. I'm still dealing with a nasty case of golfer's elbow that's been ongoing since February. Tendinopathy type injuries are easily acquired and sometimes quite difficult to get rid of. Some days are better than others, but it's a constant hindrance not only to my gripper work, but to all aspects of my strength training. I think it's just as much psychological as physical for me at this point.

I know there's a phenomenon, especially when you first get into grip, of not being able to put them down. I'll tell you, some of the most valuable training advice I've ever implemented is putting them down. I know there's a novelty aspect at first, and their specialized nature kind of fuel the obsession that we all have, but lock them away if you have to. I'm to the point now where I don't even look at them or think about them except on Fridays.

Anyway sorry for the long-winded post. Good luck in your training.

• Like 4

Yep I agree. I've experimented with everything from 4 days a week to 1 day a week.

I always find myself settling on 1 grip training session per week, moderately heavy. Anything more and it feels like someone cuts my right arm above the elbow and pours cement down to my fingers. I always do my grip workout during my first weightlifting session of the week, which almost always falls on Friday (crazy work schedule, so my lifting schedule is odd as well).

I do grippers between sets of squats and presses. I find this to be optimal, as squats really get the central nervous system firing and allow for stronger closes and more endurance. I used to pretty much do a max out 2 or more times a week, and it just wasn't productive. It was a waste of time and actually set me back. My program now is somewhat loose, but is roughly based around 5 working sets of 5 reps, with 75-80% of my max effort. And that whole 75-80% thing is just an approximation, as you can't fine tune and microload a gripper in the same way you can a barbell. I can microload my barbell in 1 lb increments, and with my Silvis adjustable I can get within 5-10 pounds by feel alone. So it's great but not perfect.

Sometimes it goes beyond 5 sets and 5 reps, depending on how my body feels.

All this to say, I'd hate to see you get a repetitive motion injury from grippers. I'm still dealing with a nasty case of golfer's elbow that's been ongoing since February. Tendinopathy type injuries are easily acquired and sometimes quite difficult to get rid of. Some days are better than others, but it's a constant hindrance not only to my gripper work, but to all aspects of my strength training. I think it's just as much psychological as physical for me at this point.

I know there's a phenomenon, especially when you first get into grip, of not being able to put them down. I'll tell you, some of the most valuable training advice I've ever implemented is putting them down. I know there's a novelty aspect at first, and their specialized nature kind of fuel the obsession that we all have, but lock them away if you have to. I'm to the point now where I don't even look at them or think about them except on Fridays.

Anyway sorry for the long-winded post. Good luck in your training.

Very good advice, thank you! I will definitely take heed of your advice, and the advice of Jared as well. I appreciate you sharing your own experience with me. I will take it to heart.

Man, your weapons is great !! ( Is there any chance to get this weapons here in Russia, I want one of those sticks so BAD) !!! Also I look forward to see your progress in training! Follow)!

Edited by anufrio
  • Like 1

Man, your weapons is great !! ( Is there any chance to get this weapons here in Russia, I want of those sticks so BAD) !!! Also I look forward to see your progress in training! Follow)!

Anufrio,

I have shipped all over the world! If you are interested in any of my gear, sticks, etcetera, let me know, and I will check shipping prices so I can give you a quote on the price. Thank you for the compliment, my friend!

• Like 1

As you start to progress with grippers, the heavier the grippers you can close, the more rest you will need, not so much in the beginning.. I used to do it all day every day!

Really enjoy your videos, keep up the good work! That #2.5 will be yours very soon judging by the rate you are climbing up the gripper ladder so far.

• Like 1

As you start to progress with grippers, the heavier the grippers you can close, the more rest you will need, not so much in the beginning.. I used to do it all day every day!

Really enjoy your videos, keep up the good work! That #2.5 will be yours very soon judging by the rate you are climbing up the gripper ladder so far.

I truly appreciate your support, my friend. Thank you!

Great workout this evening.

-Usual Warm-up of curls and Demzlys

No Pauses between sets:

64 x100 pound bench (PR for a "cold" set)

15 x100 pound Gripster's Lament

Shrugs to failure w/ 100 pounds

6 x100 pound curls

One armed negs on chin bar

Shrug/wrist-curl combo to failure with 100 pounds and thick grips on the bar

28 x150 pound bench

10 x150 pound Gripster's Lament(PR with 150 pounds)

Shrugs w/ 150 to failure

21 x150 pound bench

8 x150 Gripster's Lament

Shrugs w/150 to failure

Second set of shrugs to failure just to be ornery

22 x150 pound bench

5 x150 Gripster's Lament

Shrugs w/150 to failure

50 x100 pound bench

18 x100 pound Gripster's Lament

20 x100 pound upright rows

Shrug/wrist-curl combo w/100 pounds to failure

6 x100 pound curls

5 x100 pound curls

10 reps of my ZFJ workout with 5# weights

No Pauses between sets:

6 x100 pound curls

28 x150 pound bench

Shrugs w/ 150 to failure

21 x150 pound bench

8 x150 Gripster's Lament

Shrugs w/150 to failure

22 x150 pound bench

5 x150 Gripster's Lament

Shrugs w/150 to failure

50 x100 pound bench

6 x100 pound curls

5 x100 pound curls

Sorry if I miss something, but what is actually "10 reps of my ZFJ workout with 5# weights"

No Pauses between sets:

6 x100 pound curls

28 x150 pound bench

Shrugs w/ 150 to failure

21 x150 pound bench

8 x150 Gripster's Lament

Shrugs w/150 to failure

22 x150 pound bench

5 x150 Gripster's Lament

Shrugs w/150 to failure

50 x100 pound bench

6 x100 pound curls

5 x100 pound curls

Sorry if I miss something, but what is actually "10 reps of my ZFJ workout with 5# weights"

No problem! I created a workout to build a stronger punch, and to help lessen the negative physical and emotional aspects of PTSD. It builds endurance, and speeds muscle recovery. I called it the Zombie Fighter Jango workout when I first created it a few years ago.

• Like 1

No Pauses between sets:

6 x100 pound curls

28 x150 pound bench

Shrugs w/ 150 to failure

21 x150 pound bench

8 x150 Gripster's Lament

Shrugs w/150 to failure

22 x150 pound bench

5 x150 Gripster's Lament

Shrugs w/150 to failure

50 x100 pound bench

6 x100 pound curls

5 x100 pound curls

No problem! I created a workout to build a stronger punch, and to help lessen the negative physical and emotional aspects of PTSD. It builds endurance, and speeds muscle recovery. I called it the Zombie Fighter Jango workout when I first created it a few years ago.

How it looks ? Do you have a video?

No Pauses between sets:

6 x100 pound curls

28 x150 pound bench

Shrugs w/ 150 to failure

21 x150 pound bench

8 x150 Gripster's Lament

Shrugs w/150 to failure

22 x150 pound bench

5 x150 Gripster's Lament

Shrugs w/150 to failure

50 x100 pound bench

6 x100 pound curls

5 x100 pound curls

How it looks ? Do you have a video?

Here you go, my friend! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RripbZw6wAY

Pure gripper workout tonight. All RBA tonight. I did my Ladder Workout, but went hench on the mofo by doing 20 reps no set with my new spring on levels 1-3.5(1, 1.5, 2, etcetera), then:

Levels:

4-20 reps both hands 2" set

4.5- 18 right, 16 left 2" set

5- 11 right, 7 left 2" set

5.5- 5x 2" set and 11 x1" set right, 5x 2" set and 6 x1" left

6- 12 x1" set right, 6 x1" set left

6.5- 6x 1" set right, 5 braced 1" set left

7- 3x 1" set right, 2x1" braced set left

7.5- 1x 1" set right, 0 w/left

8- 2x braced 1" set right, 0 w/left

7- 3 x 1.25" set right, 2x 1" braced set left

6.5- 6x 1" set right, 0 w/left

6- 10x 1' set right, 3x 1" set and 4x 1" braced left

5.5- 13 x 1" set right, 5x 1" set left

5- 15x 1.25" set right, 9x 1.25" set left

4.5- 8x 2" set right, 9x 2" set left(weird that my off hand got ahead)

4- 17x 2" set right, 17x 2" set left

3.5- 18x 2" set right, 20x 2" set left

3-13 no set both hands

2.5- 26 no set both hands

2- 32 no set both hands

1.5- 20 no set both hand

1- 20 no set both hands

1-20 inverted each hand

---Also of note(to me) is a new personal record tonight. I was able to CCS my Baraban Gripper with the silver spring on level 10! I have been a 1/4" away from that close for a bit, and suddenly slammed it home tonight. Here is my video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsbLYkpko-A

My new spring has paid off in only a few days!

Edited by ZFJango
  • Like 1

Great log! I subscribed to your YT channel, too. Good stuff there as well.

I like that you are doing a bunch of no set gripper work. When it comes time to certify on the #3, lack of wide set strength is not going to be a problem.

• Like 1

Great log! I subscribed to your YT channel, too. Good stuff there as well.

I like that you are doing a bunch of no set gripper work. When it comes time to certify on the #3, lack of wide set strength is not going to be a problem.

Thank you very much! I subscribed to your YouTube as well. CRAZY close on that Wesson oil-covered CoC #3! That's insane!

• Like 1

Great grip gains showing in my workout today.

Today, I went for my ZFJ workout and grip work on the RBA. I managed a personal record on the HG250, 8 reps with a 1 1/2" set with my right hand, 2 with my left. I am using my new spring on the RBA, harder than the silver spring, easier than the gold.

Workout:

5x ZFJ w/5# weights

20x Lvl 1 on the RBA, no set

5x ZFJ w/10# weights

20x Lvl 1.5, no set

5x ZFJ w/5# weights

20x Lvl 2, no set

5x ZFJ w/10# weights

8x HG250 w/1.5" set(PR), 2x braced w/ left

Failed to close Lvl 8.5 and then Lvl 8 on RBA immediately after HG250

5x ZFJ w/5# weights

Failed to close Lvl 8.5 again

8 second negative with right hand on Lvl 8, 2 second with left

5x ZFJ w/10#

2x Lvl 7.5 w/right(PR), 2x braced w/ left(PR)

5x ZFJ w/5# weights

5x Lvl 7 w/right, 1x w/left! PR unbraced w/left

5x ZFJ w/5# weights

6x Lvl 7 w/right!, 4x braced w/left!

11x Lvl 6.5 w/right, 1 unbraced and 7x braced w/left

7x Lvl 6 w/right, 3 w/left

16x Lvl 5.5 w/right, 7 w/left

5x Lvl 5 at a 2.25" set w/right, 5x w/left

15x Lvl 4.5 w/right at a 2.25" set, 4 w/left

19x Lvl 4 at a 2.25" set, 2 w/left

16x no set Lvl 3.5 w/right, 14 w/left

10x no set on Lvl 3 w/right, 14 w/left

10 up and 10 down both hands, no set on Lvl 2.5

10 up and 10 down both hands, no set on Lvl 2

10 up and 10 down both hands, no set on Lvl 1.5

10 up and 10 down both hands, no set on Lvl 1

• Like 1

Seems like you are doing about 4 or 5 grip workouts a week man. That's a shit ton of volume.

• Like 1

Seems like you are doing about 4 or 5 grip workouts a week man. That's a shit ton of volume.

Most of the volume, right now, is lower weights, so I am not having any muscle recovery issues at all. Plus, the addition of my ZFJ workout kicks everything up a notch. My Ladder technique, Brother, it has worked in every strength-building task I have set before myself. Plus, no joke, the ZFJ workout changes a person right down to the bone. Better endurance, everything.

Edited by ZFJango
  • Like 1

Most of the volume, right now, is lower weights, so I am not having any muscle recovery issues at all. Plus, the addition of my ZFJ workout kicks everything up a notch. My Ladder technique, Brother, it has worked in every strength-building task I have set before myself. Plus, no joke, the ZFJ workout changes a person right down to the bone. Better endurance, everything.

For me it's a dead way) I'm only doing grippers every 10 days and bending every 10-12 days

I want to broach the subject of goals, and how we need to tailor our workouts to suit the path to achieving those goals. Take my own goals, for instance. I want endurance and power. I want to be able to swing a sledge all day long, jog for miles and still have plenty in the tank, throw punches for an hour straight and still have punches to throw. All-day power, that is my goal, my ongoing goal. To continue getting a little bit stronger every day, to be able to go a little bit longer every day.

So, to suit that end, my workout has very little max-weight work I know! That almost amounts to sacrilege to power lifters, right? But, my personal goals would not be reachable if I used a power-lifter's workout.

What I am trying to say, in a roundabout manner is that you need to take the time to figure out what your goals are in your physical fitness journey, and create the path that will lead you to those goals. Thank you for coming by!

• Like 2

I want to broach the subject of goals, and how we need to tailor our workouts to suit the path to achieving those goals. Take my own goals, for instance. I want endurance and power. I want to be able to swing a sledge all day long, jog for miles and still have plenty in the tank, throw punches for an hour straight and still have punches to throw. All-day power, that is my goal, my ongoing goal. To continue getting a little bit stronger every day, to be able to go a little bit longer every day.

So, to suit that end, my workout has very little max-weight work I know! That almost amounts to sacrilege to power lifters, right? But, my personal goals would not be reachable if I used a power-lifter's workout.

What I am trying to say, in a roundabout manner is that you need to take the time to figure out what your goals are in your physical fitness journey, and create the path that will lead you to those goals. Thank you for coming by!

That is a great goal! This is a very healthy way to be!

• Like 1