Primal Punch

ZFJango

A guy on here told me I should start a training log, and, to make sure I do just that, I am starting it right now. That way I can't blow it off later. My workouts are a combination of low weight/high rep, and medium-high weight/medium rep work. I believe that bone deep strength cannot be built on high weight/low reps alone. I want the kind of strength that goes and goes, and I have managed to build the beginnings of that for myself. Because of my workouts, I was able to organize and execute a solo charity run for the Humane Society where I pulled a 300 pound wagon at a jog for 11.45 miles. Well, the wagon is 150, and my two Dogs in the wagon made up the other 150! Over 3 miles of that run were uphill, but my strength did not desert me. I am endeavoring to have that same kind of "go-go-go" strength in my grip now.

I guess I will share my workouts here. I normally only count when it is max weight or personal records, but I will keep track for the sake of accuracy and professionalism. Maybe someone will get something out of this log. I will make my first workout log later today. Thank you for checking it out. Oh, you can also see the workout I created on YouTube, if you are interested in speedy muscle recovery and a stronger punch. I am Primal Punch on YouTube.

• Like 3

Will be interesting to check this log out! Interesting youtube videos there!

I appreciate you very much for checking out my YouTube channel! Thank you, Juri!

Are you doing any other training beside this whats in videos?

Just my own self-defense workouts, stick work, etcetera. I am constantly testing myself, and I try to target any aspect of training that has fallen behind. Right now, it is super hard for me to not just laser-beam focus on grip training!

dude your stun gun videos are great I just subscribed

Thank you, bro! I will subscribe to your channel as well. That stun-gun had me popping sweat, man. But, I would not trust it to save someone I love. I could have been laying waste to someone even with it buzzing my guts.

• Like 2

My first workout log installment. Thank you for checking it out.

-Warm up: No pause between sets or exercises.

-10 x10# dumbbell(DB) curls

-10 x Demzlys w/ 10# DB’s

-50 x100# bench press(BP)

-10 x100# Gripster’s Lament(GL) with 2.2” diameter thick grips on the bar

-10 x100# up-right rows

-30 x100# shrugs

-5 x100# curls

-10 body raises on chin bar with arms at 90 degree angle

-Now I start my grip workout on my Robert Baraban adjustable gripper. I call it a “Ladder Workout.” I start low, at level 3, and do 10 reps at each level, each hand, all the way up. I am currently using the weak spring, but I added 2 heavy duty rubber bands to the level 1 notch in order to make it more difficult. I have no pauses in between sets and levels.

--Again, no pauses, I went for 10 x each hand, no set, at levels 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 5.5, and 6.

--After level 6, between each level, I did 5 GL’s @100# with the 2.2” diameter thick grips on the bar, 10 curls and 10 Demzlys w/ 10# DB’s, which came out to 9 sets of those exercises all told during the Ladder Workout. My philosophy is that if my muscles can perform under piss-poor circumstances with added strain, then they will perform in those times when I really need them. That is why I add the GL beat down to my hands when I hit the higher levels. So, here was my progression,

--10 x each hand with the added exercises between each level, (still no set at this point) 6.5, 7, 7.5(at this point, I used a 2” set), 8, 8.5(at this point, I started using chalk, and a 1.5” set on my right, 1.25” set on my left), 9(1.25” set both hands), 9.5(1-1/16” set, 10 reps with right, 7 with left), 10(1-1/16” set, 10 with right, 5 with left).

--Here, I added a 3rd band at level 1, and Laddered down. Here was my Ladder down workout:

-Level 10(1/2” set, 10 with right, 3 with left), 10 again(3/4” set, 8 with right, 2 with left), 9.5(1-1/16” set, 10 with right, 7 with left), 9(10 with right, 5 with left), 8.5(1.25” set, 10 with right and left), 8(1.25”set 10 with each hand), 7.5(1.25” set, 10 each hand), 7(1.5” set, 10 each hand), 6.5(2” set, 10 each hand), 6(no set and 10 each the rest of the way down the ladder), 5.5, 5, 4.5, 4, 3.5, 3.

--Here, I added 2 more bands, for a total of 5, at level 1, and moved the weak spring back up to level 10. I managed one rep with my right, zero with my left. I then removed all of the bands, leaving the spring on level 10, and did 7 with my right, and 2 with my left.

--Now comes my workout proper, no pauses anywhere, keep the heart rate up, and the muscles burning:

With 100#

-50 BP

-10 GL w/ thick grips

-10 upright rows

-30 shrugs

-3 curls

One-armed chin-up negatives x2 each arm

With 150#

-26x BP

-4 xGL w/ thick grips

-30 x shrugs

10 body raises on bar with arms at 90 degree angle

With 150#

-20 BP

-3 GL w/ thick grips

-27 shrugs

10 side to side chin-ups

-16 BP at 150#

Cool Down, with 100#

-15 x Parabola Presses

-10 GL w/ thick grips

-30 shrugs

-5 curls

-14 Triceps Express Presses

8 body raises on bar with arms at 90 degree angle

-20 curls with 10# DB’s

-20 Demzlys with 10# DB’s

-10 reps of the Zombie Fighter Jango workout with 5# DB’s

Then I hit the Heavy Grips so I can stay familiar with the torsion spring grippers.

-Attempted the HG300, within ½” of closing with right hand

-Closed the 250 twice with right hand, zero with left

-HG200=10 with right hand at a 1.5” set, 8 with left hand at a 1” set.

-HG200.=3 no set closes with my right, and 2 closes with my left at a 1-3/4” set.

-HG200 12 MMS with right, 4MMS with left

-HG150=15 inverted and 15 regular with each hand no set

-HG100= 20 inverted and 20 regular with each hand, no set.

---Extensor work with bands and opposing fingers, and steel ball work for muscle recovery in my hands.

I guess that’s it for now!

***In the future, now that my Ladder Workout has been explained, i will simply put "Ladder Workout with RBA", and specify how many extra bands are used, and at what level.

One crazy workout there! How long did it took to perform all of this?

Just under 1.5 hours. The variety taxes my muscles, and simulates how muscles will be used in real world emergencies more accurately.

Just under 1.5 hours. The variety taxes my muscles, and simulates how muscles will be used in real world emergencies more accurately.

Ok. I thought a little more, like ~3h. Looked some more of your videos and there is very nice workouts. When I get my dumbells, Ill try "Demzlys". Seems pretty intense!

J.

• Like 1

Ok. I thought a little more, like ~3h. Looked some more of your videos and there is very nice workouts. When I get my dumbells, Ill try "Demzlys". Seems pretty intense!

J.

I LOVE the Demzlys, my friend. They engage the entire body. Save a couple of milk jugs, or if you can find a couple of those sports drink bottles. You can fill anything with sand, and duct-tape the lid on. That is what I used when I first created my ZFJ workout. I had Gatorade bottles filled with gravel!

I LOVE the Demzlys, my friend. They engage the entire body. Save a couple of milk jugs, or if you can find a couple of those sports drink bottles. You can fill anything with sand, and duct-tape the lid on. That is what I used when I first created my ZFJ workout. I had Gatorade bottles filled with gravel!

Yea, I saw it in one of the videos where you showed this trick! :) But Ill get the dumbells very soon, on this week. So I give it a go!

Mild Gripper workout today, as I have been feeling somewhat run down.

5 xHG100 inverted and regular

Decided to try my HG250, and slammed 5 MMS reps with it, and ground out one hard rep with my left hand.

Second set with HG250, 5 MMS with my right, and 2 with my left! I got a better set the second time with my off hand

Third set with HG250 netted 4 1" set reps with my right, and zero of any kind of close with my left.

4 reps on my RBA with the Gold spring at 3.5, 1 rep with my left.

4 xHG250 with a 1-1/16" set in my right and zero with my left

3 xHG250 w/ right zilch with the left

Tried myself against my HG300, and brought it within 1/4" of closing with my right. My left hand laughed at me, and so did the 300.

3 on my RBA at 3.5 with the Gold spring w/ my right, 3 braced closes with my left

Now I will just burn my hands down on sets, and then do cool down and muscle recovery with bands and balls.

Today was a good grip workout. I will hit the gym later, but I had to try out this new spring for my Baraban. I did my Ladder Workout, starting at Level 1 on the RBA, and did 10 reps at every level(1, 1.5, 2, 2.5... etcetera) until I reached Level 4.5, where I had to start setting it, and I started using chalk. Level 7 on this spring feels like level 10 with the weak spring. I made it to Level 8, where I ground out a couple of sad, braced deep set reps. Then I Laddered down. Some hardcore reps! I am feeling very good. I swear, I can hardly stop smiling. Grip training has been a kind of blessing for me.

• Like 1

Are you planning to take pinching and hubbing into your workout too?

I am pinching my vinyl covered 2" thick 10# and 15# weights, and flipping them. I think I want to slowly incorporate all aspects of grip, pinch, hub, etcetera, into my workout. I also use thick grips.

• Like 1

P.S.

I am going to start doing some hammer work today, just to feel it out! I have my work sledge, a 16 pounder.

This is a great idea!

• Like 1

My hands are beat today, so I skipped the grippers(after failing to close the CoC #2.5 again), and went into an easy workout. First thing this morning I hammered out a 1.75 mile run while towing my 150 pound Little Giant wagon with my 90 pound Dog Luke in it(he has hip dysplasia, and stopped eating when he could not jog with my girl Dog Ginny. The wagon was all I could come up with to get his will to live back, and it worked.) This was my first run in about 6 weeks with the wagon, and it beat me down. Here was my soft-rock workout.

-Usual warm up, Demzlys and curls.

40 x100 pound bench

One armed negs on the chin bar

10 x100 pound gripster's laments

10 xDemzlys and curls

40 x100 pound bench, slow, full second down, full second up

One armed negs, and body raises on the chin bar

10 x100 pound GLs

10 xDemzlys and curls

50 x100 pound bench, slow, last ten reps I held a five count down, and full second up

10 xDemzlys and curls

15 x100 pound GLs

10 reps of my ZFJ workout with 5# weights

• Like 1

I think you might take a break from grippers or do it light!

Ill get the dumbells on monday, so will try your workout soon! Dont know how they even weight, will check the poundage on them too.

• Like 1

I think you might take a break from grippers or do it light!

Ill get the dumbells on monday, so will try your workout soon! Dont know how they even weight, will check the poundage on them too.

You are right! I am taking a little break from the grippers. That is awesome news, Juri! Let me know how you like the ZFJ workout. You will be blown away by how it speeds up your muscle recovery from your other workouts. I appreciate you taking the time to try it out.

• Like 1

Most people I think only train grippers once a week.

I train them twice a week but my the days are really spread apart and one of those days is really really light like maybe 60% of what I can do.

• Like 2

Most people I think only train grippers once a week.

I train them twice a week but my the days are really spread apart and one of those days is really really light like maybe 60% of what I can do.

That is smart. I am doing grippers 3-5 days a week, but I do my Ladder Workout with the RBA, so the bulk of my gripper workout is low weight reps. I am skipping negatives. In my other strength training, I have had remarkably good results from using the Ladder technique, so, if it ain't broke... My hands are beat because I pushed stupid hard on the 2.5 and the HG300. I knew better, yet still I got stupid. I just pay attention to my hands and wrists, if I start to get that bone-deep ache, I will take a week off for sure. Thank you, Jared. I appreciate you.

• Like 1