Log: Getting As Strong As When I Was 25 By The Time I'm 40

Royz

Friday february 12th

DO deadlift

up to 1x200kg/ 5x3x165kg

Didn't have great energy today. Was supposed to do 2x200, but looked after the kids the whole day, which for me is much more exhausting then just a regular work day, so second rep wasn't happening. Still stuck at 200. Next week lighter then work up to another attempt to break 200.

Floorpress

5x5x100kg

Following exercies where done as a circuit with 90-120sec rest between every exercise. returning to the first exercise when all 4 are done.

Underhand chin ups

8x/ 8x +5kg/ 7x +5kg

Romanian deadlift

8x120kg/8x130kg/ 8x135kg

Barbell row

8x100kg/ 8x100kg/ 8x100kg

Shrugs

8x110kg/ 8x120kg/ 8x120kg

1 hour ago, Grind said:

Is there much difference between your DO deadlift or a mixed grip deadlift?

Don't know. I never do mixed grip. I'm too affraid of getting a bicep injury.

So you never have tested your max on the deadlift? 
It's almost a sin ;). Don't you have straps or use a hookgrip to test it. My deadlift max is a lot stronger than my DO deadlift. 

I lifted years mixed grip and last years made the transition to hookgrip. 

2 hours ago, Royz said:

Friday february 12th

DO deadlift

up to 1x200kg/ 5x3x165kg

Didn't have great energy today. Was supposed to do 2x200, but looked after the kids the whole day, which for me is much more exhausting then just a regular work day, so second rep wasn't happening. Still stuck at 200. Next week lighter then work up to another attempt to break 200.

Floorpress

5x5x100kg

Following exercies where done as a circuit with 90-120sec rest between every exercise. returning to the first exercise when all 4 are done.

Underhand chin ups

8x/ 8x +5kg/ 7x +5kg

Romanian deadlift

8x120kg/8x130kg/ 8x135kg

Barbell row

8x100kg/ 8x100kg/ 8x100kg

Shrugs

8x110kg/ 8x120kg/ 8x120kg

Still good work, but indeed, after a day of household and kids, is pretty much a killer for me also in training. 

• 2 weeks later...

Training february 23rd

I've been ill last week. Was still feeling a bit drained today, mostly noticeable with squatting.

Paused squats
3 count pause
5x110kg/ 5x120kg/ 5x125kg/ 4x130kg

Vulcan V2 20mm blockset
In between squats
Right L12 8x/5x/6x/4x/5x
Left L10? 6x/4x/6x/4x/5x

Kneeling landmine press one arm
Weight without bar
6x6x30kg

RT deads
6x3x70kg

RT hand to hand transfer
20x50kg/ 16x50kg/ 18x50kg

Hammer curl with Fatgripz
5x22kg/ 5x24kg/ 5x24kg
We've got new dumbbells at the gym and they have much thicker then normal handles. Now I've got an inch wide gap when I put on the Fatgripz!:angry:

Reverse barbell curl with Fatgripz
3x10x26kg

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Royz said:

We've got new dumbbells at the gym and they have much thicker then normal handles. Now I've got an inch wide gap when I put on the Fatgripz!:angry:

Really hate that and specially if the handles in the middle are even thicker. Your fat grips are useless that way.
My gym also replaced all the fine db's with this crap. Now I can only use them on bars or at my own gym.

Pff paused squat with 140kg so short after your sickness. Think I have never done them even in my prime period. 

36 minutes ago, Grind said:

Really hate that and specially if the handles in the middle are even thicker. Your fat grips are useless that way.
My gym also replaced all the fine db's with this crap. Now I can only use them on bars or at my own gym.

Pff paused squat with 140kg so short after your sickness. Think I have never done them even in my prime period. 

Yeah it sucks! Also the squats were only with 130kg. Want to build up to 5x5x130kg over the next couple of weeks and then switch back to normal squats too see if they helped.

february 26th

Deadlifting felt really sluggish and heavy, but pressing felt surprisingly good and so did all of the assistance work.

DO deads
3x3x175kg/ 3x3x140kg(fast-ish)

Floor press
8x92,5kg/ 8x95kg/ 8x95kg

Underhand pullups
8x/ 8x +8kg/ 7x +8kg

Romanian deads
8x130kg/ 8x135kg/ 8x135kg

Cable row wide grip
8x100kg/ 8x115kg/ 8x120kg

Shrugs
8x100kg/ 8x120kg/ 8x140kg

March 1st 2016

Everything felt heavy today. Been going through my old note books and I really hate the lack of progress I'm making. Analysing the note books now too see if I can find something in common from the times I was making good progress. One thing I'm definitely changing is deadlifting 'heavy' every week. I hate to admit it, but I just don't seem to recover well from that, even though I'm only training twice a week. Gettin' old :(

Squats
4x5x130kg

Kneeling landmine press
3x4x32,5kg
Still can't do normal overhead presses, because of right shoulder.

Vulcan V2, 20mm block set
Right 21x/ 23x/ 25x L9
Left 10x/ 13x/ 16x L9
Strangely the third set was the best for both hands.

RT deads
3x3x72,5kg/ 3x15sec. hold x60kg

Hammer grip barbell curl with Fatgripz
5x48kg/ 5x52kg/ 5x55kg

How is the mobility of your shoulder? 
Are you able to place the back of your hands/wrist and your elbows on a wall when you are standing with your back to the wall? (like a double bicep pose). 
If so can you move your hands and elbow up and down and not loose contact to the wall?

If you're not able you have a shoulder stiffness (restriction) that needs to be resolved. 

2 hours ago, Grind said:

How is the mobility of your shoulder? 
Are you able to place the back of your hands/wrist and your elbows on a wall when you are standing with your back to the wall? (like a double bicep pose). 
If so can you move your hands and elbow up and down and not loose contact to the wall?

If you're not able you have a shoulder stiffness (restriction) that needs to be resolved. 

Yes I can do that. I actually do those all the time. I think the problem (this time) originates in my neck. Been having a stiff neck for weeks now. Have been trying to loosen it and it does feel much better now, but my shoulder still hurts with overhead pressing.

Training march 3rd 2016

Started loading creatine this monday for the first time in many years. And.. well maybe it was a coincidence but I did have a lot more energy today then I've had for weeks. Let's see what the coming weeks will bring.

DO deads , 5cm deficit, speed
10x3x120kg

Goodmornings
up to 5x90kg

Floor press
up to 3x112,5kg

Blob trainer
up to 2x23,5kg/ 2xhold x23,5kg

JM press
up to 10x60kg
First time doing this. I hope I'm doing them correct.

Underhand chin ups
up to 5x +12kg added

Plate curl
3x8x15kg (standard plate)

Hammer grip barbell curl
Up to 5x60kg

• Like 1

I don't know man...I don't like steroids. 

Lol

I am using it for a little while now also, I seem to respond better to this stuff then the brand I used a few years ago. Can't say I notice anything with grip...normal training...little bit more of a pump perhaps..probably because I don't have my foodintake as optimal as it should be. I eat healthy and all, enough water etc but the amount is not optimal. 

Training march 7th 2016

Box squats speed
10x3x90kg

Horizontal leg press
up to 8x190kg
Feels more like a hack squat this one.

Vulcan V2
Right 3xhold Level15
Left 3xhold Level14
I think I could possible close Level15 with MMS, but I'm just having too much trouble setting the damn thing. Can't get my fingers properly placed around the handles.

Standing dumbbell press, neutral grip (palms facing each other)
up to 3x32kg/ 15x24kg
Standing trying out different overhead positions I CAN do with my shoulder. This felt ok. Too bad we haven't got a log bar at my gym!

Side lateral raises
3x10x22kg

RT deads
10x60kg/ 10x65kg/ 10x70kg!
Very nice!

Also some bicep, wrist and ab stuff.

Set the v2 at 18, just set it to parallel, over and over and over.. :rock

1 hour ago, RTvG said:

Set the v2 at 18, just set it to parallel, over and over and over.. :rock

When would you do this in training? After your worksets or on a seperate day? Don't know if I could get level18 even to parallel.:blink

I would do them on a separate day. Master them and 15 feels like nothing

You could also just ditch the closing part of the close, for a week or three. Just practise heavy setting twice a week within normal training sessions. After three weeks come back to regular grippers and be amazed with how easy indeed the gripper will feel in the set with your normal working gripper. 

27 minutes ago, Geralt said:

You could also just ditch the closing part of the close, for a week or three. Just practise heavy setting twice a week within normal training sessions. After three weeks come back to regular grippers and be amazed with how easy indeed the gripper will feel in the set with your normal working gripper. 

I often wonder where the strength to set a gripper actually comes from. I mean what muscles/bodyparts need to be strong to be able to set big grippers?

I would think wrists play a huge factor, as well as still the biceps, tri's and shoulders. Brachialis and brachioradialis play a factor I would guess. Hard to feel what I actually do when setting. When setting the gripper, the hands are in a neutral position for me, so that's why I would think those Bicepparts play a bigger role. 

I think setting involves a lot of the upper body muscles including the arms, shoulders, chest and back. Pain tolerance is a big thing also. As you go up in grippers, the set starts to hurt but your hands adapt like bending. Technique is so important as well. You need to be able to get all those muscles working at the same time and be efficient. Fumbling with a set wastes so much energy. 

• Like 1

I agree with Chez.  That's why I build set practice into the Cadence Based Training Program.

• Like 1

I always found it amazing how Steve Gardener and David Horne can set big grippers, basically pulling above shoulderlevel instead of pushing for setting grippers. Tried it for a while but couldn't get the right feeling. Paul Savage, also different technique. He braces his arm.   

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1