Blockbuster Pinch Block

Mikael Siversson

Not happy to have to report this. Got some video recorded today but my camera messed up. I'll give it until Wednesday to recover. I'll get some video of the pinch block in action.

I'm kind of sitting in the same camp as Siversson. While the IM block and all the different pinch implements are good tools for building strength. Having them in competition spreads out the talent IMO. Yes, strong is strong so most guys who are strong at one particular implement will in most cases be strong on all implements. However, small variances in the structure of our hands will give guys different advantages at different implements. Enough to maybe turn a top 10 guy into a top 1 guy. We tend to like doing what we're good at so most of us will stick to that event that we excel in. Even though I'm sure John would be a great pincher on the Euro pinch, he is already #1 (or #2 depending on what record you're talking about) on the IM hub and pinch block and because of that, he might not have the same incentive to train the Europinch hard. Thus he'll never reach his potential on the Europinch. In the end the talent is all spread. Where they would otherwise all compete against each other on the Euro. Now you have a hub-champ, a IM pinch block champ, a stub lift champ, a coin lift champ, etc. etc. No one really knows objectively who's the best pincher. We're sitting with a whole group of guys good at different, but still kind of the same thing.

My two öre

David you know I agree with you vocally and often, but here I cannot.

By your logic, the entire sport of Grip is, as you say, "a spreading out of talent", and we should all just be doing Oly Weightlifting because the Clean and Jerk is the best overall measure of a person's strength. I think I remember Randy Strossen using this very argument to discredit your freakish strength.

Also, you are basically saying that the only events that should ever be contested are the Euro, Axle and perhaps grippers? I believe people are drawn to Grip at least in some part for the interesting variety. Who wants to just do the "Big 3" their whole life. That's actually a recipe for injury and imbalance. (In my mind I was thinking of Powerlifting, but it actually also applies to Grip)

Personally, I would argue that overall adaptability of physical performance is the best indicator of athletic superiority. For instance, Strongman, with its huge variety of events and surfaces is probably more indicative than PL. Comparably, in Grip we have the medley, which often seems to yield the best overall athlete. Athletes who are strong across all types of "closing of the hand" are probably a better and more salient argument than breaking down specific types of pinch.

I'm kind of sitting in the same camp as Siversson. While the IM block and all the different pinch implements are good tools for building strength. Having them in competition spreads out the talent IMO. Yes, strong is strong so most guys who are strong at one particular implement will in most cases be strong on all implements. However, small variances in the structure of our hands will give guys different advantages at different implements. Enough to maybe turn a top 10 guy into a top 1 guy. We tend to like doing what we're good at so most of us will stick to that event that we excel in. Even though I'm sure John would be a great pincher on the Euro pinch, he is already #1 (or #2 depending on what record you're talking about) on the IM hub and pinch block and because of that, he might not have the same incentive to train the Europinch hard. Thus he'll never reach his potential on the Europinch. In the end the talent is all spread. Where they would otherwise all compete against each other on the Euro. Now you have a hub-champ, a IM pinch block champ, a stub lift champ, a coin lift champ, etc. etc. No one really knows objectively who's the best pincher. We're sitting with a whole group of guys good at different, but still kind of the same thing.

My two öre

Surely most everbody would say david horne. World record holder in two hand pinch, narrowly missed world record recently in one hand pinch, two finger two 20kg lifts easy, 6 10lb for reps easy, blob lifting he has had air with 30kg, think he has double hub 25kg plates, top 5 in key pinch events. David has no weakness in pinch, just like in grip overall. He may not be the absolute best at everything, but he is very good at everything.That is why he is the best.
  • Like 1

Hey guys, been with my woman all day and just now seeing some of the comments here. I don't have a lot of time but later when I have more free time on hand I'll explain a few things regarding my pinching. Hopefully it will really cover a number of things being talked about here. I'm still going to get a video together (giving it a day for my hands to heal); maybe this time the camera won't mess up and actually record.

David you know I agree with you vocally and often, but here I cannot.

By your logic, the entire sport of Grip is, as you say, "a spreading out of talent", and we should all just be doing Oly Weightlifting because the Clean and Jerk is the best overall measure of a person's strength. I think I remember Randy Strossen using this very argument to discredit your freakish strength.

Also, you are basically saying that the only events that should ever be contested are the Euro, Axle and perhaps grippers? I believe people are drawn to Grip at least in some part for the interesting variety. Who wants to just do the "Big 3" their whole life. That's actually a recipe for injury and imbalance. (In my mind I was thinking of Powerlifting, but it actually also applies to Grip)

Personally, I would argue that overall adaptability of physical performance is the best indicator of athletic superiority. For instance, Strongman, with its huge variety of events and surfaces is probably more indicative than PL. Comparably, in Grip we have the medley, which often seems to yield the best overall athlete. Athletes who are strong across all types of "closing of the hand" are probably a better and more salient argument than breaking down specific types of pinch.

Hey Sharkey, I hear ya and agree to some points. The strongmen are definitely the strongest athletes on the planet. Olympic weightlifting is so dependent on tenique and specific body proportions that it's not really a good test of strength. Powerlifting is good in terms of measuring absolute strength, but it's not as versatile as strongman. I agree that testing grip on a variety of implements is the best way to determine who's got the strongest grip, but it doesn't necessarily mean that it's the best way to keep records.

I don't know. Maybe this is just more about me being allergic to the idea of keeping records on the Ironmind tools. With Ironmind there is a peculiar situation where there is a strong idea of not seasoning the equipment and "staying true to the challenge". And that's all fine, but when Ironmind keeps altering the equipment, the records mean very little over time. Right now Ironmind will only accept records on the IM block that has not been tampered with in any way, so no heavy chalk coating and definitely not sandpapering the surface. What happens if this becomes a popular lift and a whole 4-5 year generation of grip guys work on improving the records. Only to have Ironmind change the texture of the implement and either make it a ton harder or easier. Then the records mean basically nothing.

Paul, yeah I agree. David has got the strongest all round pinch.

Edited by David_wigren
  • Like 1