Blockbuster Pinch Block

Mikael Siversson

I agree 100% with Kody. If your pinch is truly strong it is strong everywhere. I prefer 64mm width on the Euro but I can 1HP 100lb at 58mm and pull 4x10k at 83mm width.

He indicated he was still training to pull his 45s (implying he had not yet managed this).

"I still plan to hit that goal. Good thing my 45's are slick."

I think John would build more real world pinch strength if the used a Euro-like device. His achievements would also be more readily recognised if he entered a grip comp. Not sure if he has done that yet.

I pulled over 100 my first time on a euro one handed but at that time still couldn't pinch 2 45's at my gym since they were slick and wide(not even close). It took more training to get that lift. You have had similar arguments on grippers and while grippers might not transfer to other events and hub or this block might not transfer that well to other events its still a very impressive feat.

I think of it kind of like lifting if you have a huge clean and jerk you can probably lift big numbers in everything-squats,press,pulls- but if you have a huge bench you might not have a big squat or pull yet its still very impressive. His training might not be conventional but it seems to be producing great results and I'll be curious to see the next video he posts discussing his pinch training more. I think its important to be open to new training ideas and not be stubborn in thinking your way is the best. He is clearly outclassing everyone in the hub and the pinch block so I am curious in how he does it also.

• Like 1

Juha is another prime example. Massive 1HP strength at just about all widths on all implements. Strong is strong.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Im thinkin he must just be a monster at wide pinch ! His thumb and hands are definitely freaky strong. The age, seasoning, and his chalking technique could help a little too. After using mine 3 times and it being new I just couldnt see anyone ever pulling 130 on mine. No way Jose lol. Wade Gillingham has a monster pinch and some of the biggest hands Ive ever seen and has only pulled 107. If John has pulled 130 this has to be one of the most dominant lifts ever pulled off !!

• Like 1

Juha is another prime example. Massive 1HP strength at just about all widths on all implements. Strong is strong.

By that rationale, you must have excellent pinch block and hub numbers. How about blobs? Based on your supposition, blobs of all shapes, textures, and weights should be toys for you. Or, perhaps there is more specificity that you are allowing for. I think its a fallacy to say, this person did this, so this other person can only do this. Everyone is quite unique. And ultimately, here's John lifting over 100#. Also, the back of the block doesn't look exceptionally chalked. He's just strong.

Edited by Mike Sharkey
  • Like 1

Like I said Ive only played with mine 3 times too....so maybe the chance of raising my numbers will be good. We shall see !

• Like 1

Glad you asked. There is a video of me (GB archive) deadlifting the 50blob at the 2006 Oz grip championship. That was the first time I saw a blob of any kind...

By that rationale, you must have excellent pinch block and hub numbers. How about blobs? Based on your supposition, blobs of all shapes, textures, and weights should be toys for you. Or, perhaps there is more specificity that you are allowing for.

• Like 1

The blob lifting was witnessed by eg Nick McKinless and since I had never seen the thing before I could not stop lifting it. It did not go up all the way first attempt but I quickly got the hang of it. This was done after the competition.

• Like 1

The blob lifting was witnessed by eg Nick McKinless and since I had never seen the thing before I could not stop lifting it. It did not go up all the way first attempt but I quickly got the hang of it. This was done after the competition.

Well no one ever said you can't pinch. My point is simply that John obviously has incredibly strong hands, and has demonstrated incredible hub, block and block weight strength. I'm sure if he turns his attention toward the Euro, he can excel at that as well.

I don't feel I have a dog in the fight, but something worth note in regards to Johns wide pinch strength..

When he came down to Fort Worth with JT we did all kinds of gripping. And I specifically remember him pulling a fatman (pretty sure that's what it was) to his ear the first time he ever touched it. Where as the rest of us didn't do much with it that day. And we also happened to be at a nearby park doing some slack lining where there was NO chalk in sight. Casey took the blob out of the back of his truck, laid it on the grass, and John walked right up and smoked it. No chalk, no warmup, etc. so who knows.. Maybe he's just better at wide pinch?

Here's the video i remember seeing it a while back... no doubt of his strength on this pull - didn't look like a lot of chalk and his hands look quite stretched for their size. Not a lift - a high pull. Thanks for jogging my memory here Tommy. Seeing this brings a new level of credibility to John's wide pinch. Never doubted his strength - just had a hard time equating a 100+ block lift with a 77lb 1hp. He's definitely a talented wide pincher!

Edited by jvance

Well right now he is well behind Elizabeth Horne on the Euro 1HP in competition so at this stage I would not classify his 1HP strength as allround world class.

By that rationale, you must have excellent pinch block and hub numbers. How about blobs? Based on your supposition, blobs of all shapes, textures, and weights should be toys for you. Or, perhaps there is more specificity that you are allowing for. I think its a fallacy to say, this person did this, so this other person can only do this. Everyone is quite unique. And ultimately, here's John lifting over 100#. Also, the back of the block doesn't look exceptionally chalked. He's just strong.

Well no one ever said you can't pinch. My point is simply that John obviously has incredibly strong hands, and has demonstrated incredible hub, block and block weight strength. I'm sure if he turns his attention toward the Euro, he can excel at that as well.

Well right now he is well behind Elizabeth Horne on the Euro 1HP in competition so at this stage I would not classify his 1HP strength as allround world class.

What's your point? Are you trying to be a dick, or does it just come naturally? Try supporting other athletes, instead of trying to tear them down. Its classless.

I can dig up some posts of yours Mike that have been anything but respectful if you wish.

I agree 100% with Kody. If your pinch is truly strong it is strong everywhere. I prefer 64mm width on the Euro but I can 1HP 100lb at 58mm and pull 4x10k at 83mm width.

He indicated he was still training to pull his 45s (implying he had not yet managed this).

"I still plan to hit that goal. Good thing my 45's are slick."

I think John would build more real world pinch strength if the used a Euro-like device. His achievements would also be more readily recognised if he entered a grip comp. Not sure if he has done that yet.

I pulled over 100 my first time on a euro one handed but at that time still couldn't pinch 2 45's at my gym since they were slick and wide(not even close). It took more training to get that lift. You have had similar arguments on grippers and while grippers might not transfer to other events and hub or this block might not transfer that well to other events its still a very impressive feat.

I think of it kind of like lifting if you have a huge clean and jerk you can probably lift big numbers in everything-squats,press,pulls- but if you have a huge bench you might not have a big squat or pull yet its still very impressive. His training might not be conventional but it seems to be producing great results and I'll be curious to see the next video he posts discussing his pinch training more. I think its important to be open to new training ideas and not be stubborn in thinking your way is the best. He is clearly outclassing everyone in the hub and the pinch block so I am curious in how he does it also.

I don't agree necessarily since some pinch events like the hub require specialized training, same can be said I'm sure for other events that are not as common. John is very strong and has shown that repeatedly in numerous videos. Its easy to be in shock when he is so much better at an event but I don't agree with tearing down the feat with saying that he should focus on another lift since the block lift doesn't really matter(especially now that ironmind recognizes it as a world record). I think as more people train on it and learn to season it you will begin to see bigger numbers, same thing happened with the hub. Most could not lift the big numbers you now see in the past, and that had to do with more people training on it and altering their technique.

I still would like to see his chalking technique along with how he got the lift so high.

• Like 2

I can dig up some posts of yours Mike that have been anything but respectful if you wish.

Do it. I'm 100% respectful until someone starts a WHOLE DIFFERENT THREAD just to be a dick to some guy he's never actually met.

My original point Mike was that the Blockbuster implement is a poor measure of allround pinch strength. That's fine if you disagree with that. The example with Elizabeth was to illustrate the huge discrepancy between John's pinch block numbers and his performance on the Euro in competition. I would not be offended in the slightest if someone pointed out for example that I outlift the strongest ladies by a very small margin on the IM axle because it is true.

My original point Mike was that the Blockbuster implement is a poor measure of allround pinch strength. That's fine if you disagree with that. The example with Elizabeth was to illustrate the huge discrepancy between John's pinch block numbers and his performance on the Euro in competition. I would not be offended in the slightest if someone pointed out for example that I outlift the strongest ladies by a very small margin on the IM axle because it is true.

Cool man. I'm sure you meant no offense by repeatedly comparing John to a woman. Maybe sometimes you might think about how your statements might be heard by others. Its not your points I disagree with. Merely your methods.

I will admit that the timing of John's initial post did bug me as it made Kody look weak to the uninformed.

• Like 1

I will admit that the timing of John's initial post did bug me as it made Kody look weak to the uninformed.

At least that's honest.

I don't think "weak" and "Kody" has ever entered anyone's minds. I think everyone was just thinking holy sh*t. How is John doing that. John is pretty well known here as very supportive of other athletes. A little friendly competition is all in the spirit of improvement, don't you think? Personally I like watching awesome displays of strength, even though they are rarely my own.

Edited by Mike Sharkey
  • Like 1

Regarding your 'respectful' posts you know very well that your posts have been moderated repeatedly in the past (especially when arguing with me) so let's be honest here Mike.

Looking through the thread there is only one person resorting to name calling and that is you Mike.

Regarding your 'respectful' posts you know very well that your posts have been moderated repeatedly in the past (especially when arguing with me) so let's be honest here Mike.

Looking through the thread there is only one person resorting to name calling and that is you Mike.

Just because you are being passive aggressive, doesn't mean you're not being a schmuck. It just means you think you can hide your real intentions and thoughts behind the way you phrase things. Words don't fool me, I know what you really mean. And I'm not being disrespectful, I'm just saying what everyone is thinking.

Edited by Mike Sharkey

Hey guys. Interesting points, I'm going to work on getting the video ready. I talked with Kody and we're going to trade pinch blocks for a while and see what we can each pull.

• Like 3

I don't feel I have a dog in the fight, but something worth note in regards to Johns wide pinch strength..

When he came down to Fort Worth with JT we did all kinds of gripping. And I specifically remember him pulling a fatman (pretty sure that's what it was) to his ear the first time he ever touched it. Where as the rest of us didn't do much with it that day. And we also happened to be at a nearby park doing some slack lining where there was NO chalk in sight. Casey took the blob out of the back of his truck, laid it on the grass, and John walked right up and smoked it. No chalk, no warmup, etc. so who knows.. Maybe he's just better at wide pinch?

Here's the video i remember seeing it a while back... no doubt of his strength on this pull - didn't look like a lot of chalk and his hands look quite stretched for their size. Not a lift - a high pull. Thanks for jogging my memory here Tommy. Seeing this brings a new level of credibility to John's wide pinch. Never doubted his strength - just had a hard time equating a 100+ block lift with a 77lb 1hp. He's definitely a talented wide pincher!

This was actually the first time I got to mess with a blob. Never knew how to place my hands on the item and since I had no clue what to do with it I just grabbed it and went for it. To my surprise, and the others around me, it came up like a joke.

As far as I can tell, John is an honest man.

I train in front of a framed picture of him, because the Aztecs believed that John McCarter blesses your gripper closes.

• Like 5

As far as I can tell, John is an honest man.

I train in front of a framed picture of him, because the Aztecs believed that John McCarter blesses your gripper closes.

This is awesome. Was not expecting to see this.