Blockbuster Pinch Block

Mikael Siversson

From what I can tell this appears to be a rather random 'test' of god-knows-what. Here we have an individual claiming a 134lb lift on this implement (which I don't doubt) but at the same time indicating he is yet to pinch 2x45' possibly because they are slick???

If I could pull 134 lb on eg the Europinch I would probably be able to pinch 5x10k plates, slick or not!

I think Wade pulled 65lbs on one occasion on the Blockbuster and yet he is extremely strong in plate pinching.

At the end of the day, world class pinch strength is best demonstrated in competition on the Euro and that's it.

People should stop worrying what they pull on this implement (no offence Kody and John) and focus on implements that build real, unquestionable pinch strength (eg the Euro).

Implements that produce strange discrepancies (see example above) are probably best to avoid in eg competitions. Moreover you may be up for a disappointment if you train on the blockbuster and then enter a competition where the Euro is featured or asked to pinch some heavy plates.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

I suspect part of the problem lies in the perfect angle you can commence a lift with a block. With a Euro or plate pinching the implement dictates the starting angle of your wrist to a much larger degree. Essentially you are not getting the best overall pinch strength by training with a block. The Euro, on the other hand, can produce instant massive plate pinching strength if you pick a suitable width for the Euro.

From what I can tell this appears to be a rather random 'test' of god-knows-what. Here we have an individual claiming a 134lb lift on this implement (which I don't doubt) but at the same time indicating he is yet to pinch 2x45' possibly because they are slick???

If I could pull 134 lb on eg the Europinch I would probably be able to pinch 5x10k plates, slick or not!

I think Wade pulled 65lbs on one occasion on the Blockbuster and yet he is extremely strong in plate pinching.

At the end of the day, world class pinch strength is best demonstrated in competition on the Euro and that's it.

People should stop worrying what they pull on this implement (no offence Kody and John) and focus on implements that build real, unquestionable pinch strength (eg the Euro).

Implements that produce strange discrepancies (see example above) are probably best to avoid in eg competitions. Moreover you may be up for a disappointment if you train on the blockbuster and then enter a competition where the Euro is featured or asked to pinch some heavy plates.

Could you explain how its more random then any other kind of pinch?

Clearly Ironminds thinks its not very random.

http://www.ironmind.com/certification/blockbuster-pinch-grip-block/rules-world-records/

Edited by Jared Goguen

I just did. What Ironmind thinks is irrelevant as they will naturally support their products.

Pinch strength that depends on perfect angles is not terribly useful is it?

I should mention that I use plenty of IM products and think they are all great but I question the effectiveness of pinch blocks for allround pinch strength.

The pinch block is just like any other grip implement, you can't compare it the euro because it's not the euro, nor is it plate pinching. Just because you can pinch 2-45's doesn't mean you'll pull a certain weight on the pinch block or vice versa.

Let's try again.

The pinch block does not seem to transfer very well to plate pinching (eg 134lb on the Blockbuster has not given said lifter enough strength to pull 2x45s at will).

The Euro if set at a suitable width seems to produce instant huge plate pinch strength, in other words excellent transfer of strength.

As we all know, plate pinching is a classic test of pinch strength. If that is of no relevance to you then simply continue to use blocks for your pinch training.

Needless to say I am referring to the 1HP Euro in the discussion above.

Mikael, from what I gather Johns big lift was done with a well seasoned 2 year old block. Not sure how meticulous he is about seasoning but from the video provided when asked on how he seasons his tools it shows using sand paper and lots of chalk to get it where you want it. This might explain the huge numbers Im guessing. Not necessarily a bad idea because with a highly textured surface and more maximum weight lifted might just carry over well to a non altered fresh device as Ironmind would recognize. For me I like to work on a device I will be tested on so I know where I legitimately stand under the correct rules. In my case I like to know where to open up in a contest. I wouldnt like to have people doubting any said lifts because of big numbers in training and then significantly lower comp results. To each his own though. John is strong as hell any way you slice it. He has definitely mastered the art of seasoning I think which could potentially raise his competion implement numbers. We all know Ironmind more than likely breaks a new one out before a big contest and all you get is chalk. Id like to see where John pulls on a fresh untampered devive. This would put things into perspective better I think. Plus I could see how close we both are to a legit true comp lift lol. About the 45s, I would think if hes pulling 130+ or even the 107 he could easily pull 45s even without a warmup. Last week I had a buddy over and walked out barefoot no warmup and pulled my 45s pretty easy. This was a day after my 76 lb both hand IM block lift. For me the 45s are a shit ton easier than when I pulled 85 lbs on my unseasoned new pinch block. And btw, I still train with my Euro. The pinch block training was a new side endeavor that struck my curiosity :) Being you like to pinch wide if I remember right, the blockbuster might be right up your alley. You might be better at it than you think.

• Like 1

He indicated he was still training to pull his 45s (implying he had not yet managed this).

"I still plan to hit that goal. Good thing my 45's are slick."

I think John would build more real world pinch strength if the used a Euro-like device. His achievements would also be more readily recognised if he entered a grip comp. Not sure if he has done that yet.

If Im not mistaken Mikael I think he pulled 77 lbs at the last King Kong. He might just need some practice on the Euro. Not sure why the low numbers. Maybe he's just gotten alot stronger since then. I would guess his thumbs have to be strong as hell to hub what he does. Not sure what to think of all this...

Well if that is the case then that would sort of prove my point.

I did not need any practise to pull 4x10k. Same with the 50blob. All I did was to train 1HP with the Euro at the widest setting.

Can't see a way john cant pull two standard 45's but at the same time these are different pinch lifts, plate pinching is different to block pinching and / or euro pinch.

Edited by Paul Savage

Well he stated he can't and his 1HP Euro number in competition (well below the top female grip athlete btw) indicates he can't.

I think we all know that these are different measures of pinch strength but one of them seems to be close to useless as a standard measure (the strongest by far on the blockbuster block is about 10% below the top female grip athlete on the Euro 1HP).

High Euro 1HP numbers at wider settings equals big plate pinching.

The highest Blockbuster block pinch numbers translates to .....relatively mediocre 1Hp Euro numbers and an inability to pinch lift 2x45's.

Well he stated he can't and his 1HP Euro number in competition (well below the top female grip athlete btw) indicates he can't.

I think we all know that these are different measures of pinch strength but one of them seems to be close to useless as a standard measure (the strongest by far on the blockbuster block is about 10% below the top female grip athlete on the Euro 1HP).

High Euro 1HP numbers at wider settings equals big plate pinching.

The highest Blockbuster block pinch numbers translates to .....relatively mediocre 1Hp Euro numbers and an inability to pinch lift 2x45's.

Have you never tried different plates or something? I have two 20kg that most one hand two 20kg lifters would struggle to lift with two hands and some would fail. They are sloped on the inside, sharp as hell, and always feel like they are covered in oil. Also have tried three different euro pinch setups, none felt the same. Try your 10 rep max on a seasoned euro on a brand new untouched euro an see if it moves off the ground. Lots and lots of varaibles here. That lift could have been really easy but he took too much of a jump, just a bad day, he may have got a lot stronger since etc

My experience tells different. When i pulled 40kg with my pinch block i lifted about the same with europinch and could do 2x20kg plate pinch. Pinch block in question is closer to plate pinching width and made of wood.

In my opinion inconsistent results with pinch blocks, europinch and plate pinching are best explained by different widths and surfaces.

Hey guys, thought I take some time to explain a few things about my pinching skills. I would have responded sooner but I was asleep. Plus, I will make a video showing a few things I do with pinching, I'll attempt this stuff on Monday.

The reason I claim to have pulled more on the pinch block but didn't in the video, I grabbed some weights (which is what you see in the video). I was not warmed up in any way and just went for it. No secret behind what I was attempting, I wanted to know what I could pull cold. Yes, in my log I've stated I've done more, I'm sorry that my camera wasn't rolling. I don't feel that every grip workout I do needs to be documented except in the case of my workout journal.

I really can't pull two 45's yet. I've attempted this countless time, if I use both hands then the lift happens but with only one it hasn't happened. I've tried countless times, it just hasn't happened. Do I know the reason? No. My best guess is in relation to the width of the plates since I'm use to a different setting on the euro and the pinch block.

The 45 plates I have are slick on the back which makes it really hard for me to attempt the lift. My 35's will go up at times but it's hit and miss for me at times but more misses with me.

This will explain why I haven't done grip contest besides "King Kong", because I have not be able to travel or had the fund to make the said trip. Trust me I would like to go at times meet new people and share different experiences relating to what we enjoy to do.

Before KK, here is a list of things I never attempted because I didn't work on them: euro, plate pinching, the ironmind hub or pinch block (when I trained for the MM3 cert, I did use the pinch block). Most of my pinching has been done on the TTK or a pony clamp. Some of my reasons come down to me being lazy at times and not wanting to lift the weights; I have used them but with little consideration in mind about their use. When I hit an actually lifted a 45 by the hub, I quit lifting the ironmind hub; to me I had no reason to lift it anymore.

When I trained for KK, I went to a level of pure insanity with regard to my pinching. My thumbs were going numb during or after each training session. I was moving up the weight so much without slowing down I was bound to hurt myself and turned down my efforts after the contest was over.

The way I chalk both the ironmind hub and pinch block is something I learned while watching a video by Valery Fedorenko on how to chalk a kettlebell. While training for KK, I attempted to chalk the hub in the same manner and it worked; some time later I tried it out on the Ironmind pinch block and got the same result. I should note that I only grip the surface by rubbing it in to get it to stick in (I can't really explain that one better, I would just have to show what I mean in a video of how I do it). After I get done pinching these tools, I don't wipe the chalk off, I leave it and will repeat the same thing the next time.

The big factor over everything I do is really the relationship between the tools and what my current goal is. Sometimes I will just attempt something for fun, other times I may get serious but I'm doing this to test my physical limits. Years ago when starting out, I never thought that I would be at the levels I'm at now; I still see it that I'm the guy who just started out. Some of the numbers I produced are just that to me, numbers, I forget that it could be world class level and sometime I don't even know what could be considered World Class

I hope this touched some of the things being addressed, I will attempt to get a video recorded on Monday showing what I can do with the hub, blockbuster pinch block, euro, and two 45's.

• Like 1

It is indeed easy to overtrain the pinch but given the transfer to blobs, plate pinching etc I would very strongly recommend you to focus on the excellent Euro device.

I have personally found the TTK to be beyond useless but others have had good results with it. In my view dynamic thumb training should be for recovery rather than trying to build strength as that will typically only result in injuries at the base of the thumb.

John, no one's trying to pick you apart here. I personally am just trying to make sense of how you are able outpinch a WR holder in the 1hp on this device by over 20lbs or higher if going off your training numbers. I looked at your 1hp result at KK and found you to have pinched 35kg, while the top guys like Horne, Harju and Burns are all well over 50kg. Perhaps you have a propensity to develop extreme strength in certain isometric positions? Or your device is seasoned extraordinarily well (sanding or otherwise changing the surface beyond just chalking will DQ lifts by Ironmind's standard). I have never pinched one, speaking for myself so i don't know 100% how my pinch numbers would translate, but i have a 3"x3" block that's the same width of the IM and 70lb feels quite heavy (never maxed it). The wide nature of this block would, IMO, naturally pull their top pinch numbers down. Hopefully we'll see more people training this so we'll get to see some common patterns, but your situation just doesn't make sense to me... then again, sometimes we can't explain things in grip - of how we're strong in one area but sometimes find no carry over to another... trust me - my hub numbers are terrible but i'm a decent pincher.

Again.. not trying to discredit your lift, just trying to make sense of it.

John, no one's trying to pick you apart here. I personally am just trying to make sense of how you are able outpinch a WR holder in the 1hp on this device by over 20lbs or higher if going off your training numbers. I looked at your 1hp result at KK and found you to have pinched 35kg, while the top guys like Horne, Harju and Burns are all well over 50kg. Perhaps you have a propensity to develop extreme strength in certain isometric positions? Or your device is seasoned extraordinarily well (sanding or otherwise changing the surface beyond just chalking will DQ lifts by Ironmind's standard). I have never pinched one, speaking for myself so i don't know 100% how my pinch numbers would translate, but i have a 3"x3" block that's the same width of the IM and 70lb feels quite heavy (never maxed it). The wide nature of this block would, IMO, naturally pull their top pinch numbers down. Hopefully we'll see more people training this so we'll get to see some common patterns, but your situation just doesn't make sense to me... then again, sometimes we can't explain things in grip - of how we're strong in one area but sometimes find no carry over to another... trust me - my hub numbers are terrible but i'm a decent pincher.

Again.. not trying to discredit your lift, just trying to make sense of it.

It's cool man. I was just giving some input about what's going on from my end. Never sanded any of my equipment; filed a few grippers but that's the extent of it. Like I said, I plan on making a video about my pinching on Monday.

As for how and why I'm hitting the numbers that I am, I can't explain it.

He indicated he was still training to pull his 45s (implying he had not yet managed this).

I think John would build more real world pinch strength if the used a Euro-like device. His achievements would also be more readily recognised if he entered a grip comp. Not sure if he has done that yet.

I pulled over 100 my first time on a euro one handed but at that time still couldn't pinch 2 45's at my gym since they were slick and wide(not even close). It took more training to get that lift. You have had similar arguments on grippers and while grippers might not transfer to other events and hub or this block might not transfer that well to other events its still a very impressive feat.

I think of it kind of like lifting if you have a huge clean and jerk you can probably lift big numbers in everything-squats,press,pulls- but if you have a huge bench you might not have a big squat or pull yet its still very impressive. His training might not be conventional but it seems to be producing great results and I'll be curious to see the next video he posts discussing his pinch training more. I think its important to be open to new training ideas and not be stubborn in thinking your way is the best. He is clearly outclassing everyone in the hub and the pinch block so I am curious in how he does it also.

Edited by Stephen Ruby
  • Like 2

I pulled over 100 my first time on a euro one handed but at that time still couldn't pinch 2 45's at my gym since they were slick and wide(not even close). It took more training to get that lift. You have had similar arguments on grippers and while grippers might not transfer to other events and hub or this block might not transfer that well to other events its still a very impressive feat.

I think of it kind of like lifting if you have a huge clean and jerk you can probably lift big numbers in everything-squats,press,pulls- but if you have a huge bench you might not have a big squat or pull yet its still very impressive. His training might not be conventional but it seems to be producing great results and I'll be curious to see the next video he posts discussing his pinch training more. I think its important to be open to new training ideas and not be stubborn in thinking your way is the best. He is clearly outclassing everyone in the hub and the pinch block so I am curious in how he does it also.

No doubt, John is clearly shaking down some training paradigms. Of course, anytime new ground is broken there will be a higher level of scrutiny towards it than his numbers weren't so far ahead of anyone else.

I wasnt trying to take anything away from Johns lift. That much weight is impressive any way you wanna look at it. I just couldn't figure out how his euro numbers werent reflecting his block numbers. Ive never seen someone be able to pinch that much more weight at a wider width than their ideal width of the their choosing on the euro. Most Europinchs' Ive seen have 2 to 3 times the amount of texture compared to Ironminds Pinch block. Thats what takes me back to the texture thing. In the video John shared about chalking it showed the guy using sandpaper to get the chalk to stick better. Thats why I figured he was using the same techniques as he shared. And most gym 45s Ive seen measure about 2.5 inches together on the average Id say. Yeah you have some fat ones out there but most guys I would guess are around 2.5 inches which is a half inch thinner than the pinch block. He said hes had the pinch block for a couple years so maybe the texture is just really nice after applying the chalking technique he shared. For me pinching is pinching no matter whether its 45s or the block. My numbers generally reflect the same and even better on the euro since I can use my ideal width. Of course Im gonna raise the question when I have pinched 125 lbs and currently hold the WR on the euro and I pulled 85 lbs on my brand new pinch block that barely holds any amount of chalk for very long. Granted Im just getting back to training after a little layoff and this was only my 3rd workout on the block. With his numbers he says hes pinching (130lbs) seem almost opposite on opposite devices. Like I said just an odd set of circumstances for me to understand. I hope nobody thinks Im showing disrespect to John. Im not at all. Just trying to figure out where I might be going wrong at. Like I said Ive never seen someone be able to outpull their ideal euro width by almost 50 lbs as he says hes pulled 130lbs on the pinch block and doing it at a 3 inch width is just mind boggling to me. Sorry I just literally chalked it up (pun intended) :) to the texture and age of his block. If its not a texture thing then someone needs to get a euro in his hands so he can break the one hand pinch record as he should have no problem in getting it done with the width of his choosing. Can the chalk application seriously make that much of a difference ? Throw me a freakin bone here John ! :)

• Like 1

Maybe his ideal width is simply super wide. It doesn't sound like he's done a ton of work on his Euro.

It has to be his thumb strength, as that is what explains the incredible hub numbers.

Or, he's just Saxon reborn.

John's MM3 close was incredibly definitive, and showed he's good for 2 or 3 levels higher. I think this just shows that its difficult to judge everyone by a single standard. Ability can take many forms.

John, I'd love to see you do some rafter pull ups.

Edited by Mike Sharkey
  • Like 2