Grippers And Electrical Tape

felixthecat

Hey guys, I have heard about putting electrical tape on your grippers in order to prevent blistering. I was wondering if there were any downsides to using electrical tape, in regards to strength, gripper movement after the set, and so on and so forth. If you can shed some light on this it will be greatly appreciated.

Typically only put on one handle for the finger side.

Alright, thanks. Ill try it out. So the tape is basically up to you and your preferences? There is no reason to not use the tape?

Tape on the finger handle may be nice. Tape on the palm handle will make it harder to close the gripper if you havent got crazy thick hands. If you're used to tape it might be weird to close a gripper without. If you always train with both handles taped it will be easier to close the thing without the tape. Just logic I suppose. :)

• Like 1

Or even 95%. The other 5% on my pinky.

This almost only happens with my left hand though.

Sorry about all the replies, I don't know how to edit on my phone.

• Like 1

Or even 95%. The other 5% on my pinky.

This almost only happens with my left hand though.

Sorry about all the replies, I don't know how to edit on my phone.

No worries. My troublesome spot is the pinky on my left hand. It gets destroyed every week. I am going to try out the tape on the finger handle side, hopefully it helps.

I prefer only taping my fingers where needed.

I've tried using athletic tape on my pinky, where I only taped up the middle segment. But I felt that the motion was restricted on the finger. Mind telling me what type of tape you used and how you wrapped it up?

I had blister on my pinky in the beginning. Then I just rested til it disappeared. Now grippers once per week and its fine with me, no problems at all. (I think its because I don't have any heavy grippers in my workout :) )

• Like 1

The electrical tape on the handle is helpful when you are doing alot of volume or Negs or both. Helps to reduce the fingers getting quite so chewed up by the knurling. When mine are having a little trouble with splitting or getting too chewed up I usually just wrap that finger segment / area with a bit of first aid tape to take the brunt of the abuse from the knurling while it heals. Has worked well for me. The first aid tape is narrow so doesn't impede the joint quite so much.

- Aaron

• Like 1

It's time for rock climbers to shine.

Johnson and Johnson coaches tape is the only tape I will ever buy again, everything else is garbage. This tape will tear perfectly, either to length, or also lengthwise so you can get narrow pieces to wrap around joints. If your hands are clean and dry when you put it on, it will stay through hours of work. I have tried quite a few brands of athletic tape for rock climbing, and literally every other brand has been awful. Some won't even rip barehanded, which defeats the purpose of keeping it in my gym bag.

http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Coach-Sports-Tape-Count/dp/B000RPSZ50/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1425057325&sr=8-4&keywords=johnson+and+johnson+athletic+tape

Honestly, I have 5 rolls of this stuff around, and I never leave home without some. Makes great band-aids, too.

• Like 1

I prefer only taping my fingers where needed.

I've tried using athletic tape on my pinky, where I only taped up the middle segment. But I felt that the motion was restricted on the finger. Mind telling me what type of tape you used and how you wrapped it up?

I've used both black electrical and also the J&J coach tape. You just need something that this not too rigid once wrapped. I also only went around once plus enough to stick and keep it on. Make sure the connection is on the back of your finger, not the gripper side. If needed, I would split the tape lengthwise so it was thinner and would fit within the joint segment.

• Like 2

Alright, I'll check out that J&J tape Jared. Thanks for the info guys.

If needed, I would split the tape lengthwise so it was thinner and would fit within the joint segment.
Alright, I'll check out that J&J tape Jared. Thanks for the info guys.

No problem, man, glad to help.

J&J tape is great specifically for what Cannon is talking about. It rips like paper, when you want it to, and stays in place for protection when you need it. Good luck!

For everyone interested, here is a great article from Climbing Magazine about how to properly tape up finger joints.

http://www.climbing.com/skill/avoid-finger-blowouts/