Is There A History Of Cheating In The Grip Community?

Jared Goguen

That's not to discredit the Mash Monster process either.

But the beauty of the MM process is the system of checks and balances in place that allows for "beyond a shadow of doubt" certifications. The period of Ironmind's history in question had no such system by which to judge closes.

And what is an official cert attempt if not proof of mastery?

Well..... it's probably not proof of mastery.

I don't think it should be a matter of "I can't consistently close this gripper, but all the variables happened to sway in my direction today" though.

It's just how you look at things. The CCS cert is what it is, just a cert. Training parallel or even deeper gives more benefit in building topcrush. I saw #3 certs before the CCS rule, practically deep setting the #3. The wider the set, the more domination of a gripper. But despite the 'honest' out of the package rule, I cannot see the 280 lbs constant resistance on all the IM grippers. Matt has rated #3's in the 139lbs range and in the 158lbs range. Which one do you get in certifcation? Big difference I would say.

The MM certs are more honest in that perspective. Same set to take out handsize discussion. Same gripper everybody certs on.

Not dissing the IM cert, I want it very bad, it's a cool cert and I am going to get it, but the 'out of the package' rule does not mean that every cert nessecary is equal. And the ' you used two hands' nonsense is just people talking without a clue, mostly the keyboardwarriors on YT without own uploads. Sad people really.

There are literally videos on YouTube titled "COC #3 close" that show the person set the gripper until the handles touch, and then quickly show the closed handles before it rips their closing hand apart. That's not a close, it's a negative. The videos are never titled "COC #3 deep set training", but always "COC #3 close", or something similar.

Like I've said, deep sets and negatives are extremely valuable training methods.

I'm ok with using a set point, be it MMS or a block. IMO CCS is too wide and really they should have a few 3's dedicated for certs with consistent ratings.

• Like 1

Which is all fine in the grand scheme, I was just giving my take on the original questions of how and why the IM cert process has changed over the years.

There are literally videos on YouTube titled "COC #3 close" that show the person set the gripper until the handles touch, and then quickly show the closed handles before it rips their closing hand apart. That's not a close, it's a negative. The videos are never titled "COC #3 deep set training", but always "COC #3 close", or something similar.

Like I've said, deep sets and negatives are extremely valuable training methods.

You are right on that. But let's be honest, with the arrival of the internet, Youtube and all kinds of boards, everybody now has a platform to publicly shout whatever he or she wants. If someone posts a certain 'strengthfeat' in his eyes, just let them be. It's a neverending story and the discussion just feeds trolls. Just as this post of mine is just a single opinion that will not make the world change in any way lol Edited by Geralt