From The Ashes......resurrecting My Grip

1stCoC

Love reading about your training, your crew and your Sorinex work Richard.

Did you guys put in a new strength facility for the pats in the same location at Gillette Stadium?

Or in another location?

Thanks...

Dave

Just returned to the Gripboard after some time away and just saw your post. Hope your recovery has gone well.

Hub,

Thanks for reminding me about interview I did with David Horn in 2002. Even though about 12 years ago ,from re reading the text for the first time in about that many years what I felt , recalled ,and my insight pretty much remains the same. My involvement in grip for 50 years has brought me in contact with many men or strength and particular grip strength.

I wonder why comments are being emitted recently by a "Nice guy" gripper star are so jaded towards me. A person that an had a self proclaimed "2 year career "of serious grip involvement now surfaces in public after 16 years to those that probably simply wonder was the 15 minutes of fame accurately and factually substantiated. That proof being left up to each person to decide, I suggest instead of throwing back handed comments of poor sportsmanship they might man up and perhaps address getting re certified to quell any questions and try to help others with their amazing super grip gift.

I was " strong enough" after 17 years to go back at age 57 to meet a personal goal to physically recover from a bout with cancer and show that the strength could remain if the heart and body worked in accord. Perhaps this legend will do the same.

I would be glad at any time to set things right with any that may have questions or concerns about my or others true agenda.

Richard,

Might it be best to tackle these concerns at the source rather than sprinkle these sorts of comments into this interesting and constructive thread here?

Belated Happy Birthday by the way!

Thanks guys! Yes ,we finished yet another NFL room and the Patriots were truly delighted. Time is everything in modern training as well as safety ...we covered both . Dealing with training multi million dollar athletes that almost each day need to be reassessed as to their injuries and as I said before who recovers first wins.

The Vikings were great to work with and you had to be a coach/ detective to find what injury a player recieved and was hiding perhaps to stay on the roster. There was never a missed workout, just careful changes in tempo, exercises and intensity. I thought that was interesting. Strength coaching in college and pro settings are like night and day and .....you better get the difference.

My son is attending a huge tactical operators conference in Virginia Beach . He has bonded with members of the elite forces that" handle" the business and safety of America. They look at life, duty, honor ,and integrity on a whole different level . What can you do or say to rattle ,or not totally trust a man that has " perhaps "personally erased the threat of over 400 enemy forces? It is a true brotherhood that keeps us all safe. Placed highest on my wall is the the beret given to me by my adopted son Robo as he became a Green Beret. His dad was not there but , he was watching.

Aside from a minor injury the other day deadlifting( I think lack of hydration has always contributed to my injuries) my overall health and outlook are so improved from a year ago April. I smile when I see weights still on the bar being lifted as in the day I first walked into the U of South Carolina as a freshman 18 year old athlete. It wasn't easy then , and it is not easy now but always a joy and a long term passion .

Bert contacted me and said he was part of a strange side

workout mindset at the Ops meeting. With Delta Force and Seal 6 getting it " all done in one" they put bodyweight on a squat bar, slipped outer pants off to under armor skivivies , commenced squatting for sets with a bottle of bourbon chugged between sets. I guess in the far flung field in which they operate party, workout, recovery ,

and availability is what it is all about. Not perhaps correct in a purists outlook ,but how things sometimes get done.

The workout last night went well , after a hot day it did take its toll. I made it through the workout without the tricep acting up so I pushed on. Bench for 6 sets of 6, standing Banjo presses, a total of 100 reps one arm row over 100lbs minimum and then sets of two in the squat on our new bar. Stretching as much as I could afterward really was the trick for recovery!

Two highlights of the night were Johnny Ruthless that has gained in bodyweight since day one of 51 lbs. was squatting with 290, and our latest gal who has as much spirit as all of us put together in 3 months has gone from struggling and failing with an empty bar to two sets of 3 in the deadlift with 225!!!! Talk about proud! That is what commitment and strength returns to one that works at it.

The different Seal teams "learn to climb" at Seneca Rocks where I climb often - last time it was Seal Team Six, they were a little older and a little bigger men than the other teams I saw in the past. Several times now I have had the pleasure of not climbing exactly with them but at least climbing along side them and hanging out at belays etc with them as well as one night of drinking beer with them after helping a couple of them out when they got in a pinch on the rocks. They are very interesting people. Take a group of people who are learning about climbing safety while learning to climb but are absolutely fearless and some interesting times can be observed :). I give these guys all the respect they have so faithfully earned - they don't buy any beer when I'm around :).

Ready for a new week . I was prepared for the lake and sun better this time and with a cobbled together float device made for a great day. Looking forward to lift tonight with some grip added since my fingers are not as painful in the joints as they have been.

Great news, I glanced a Facebook post and saw that once again Baby D Curry took her strength to still another strength sport and excelled. Mas wrestling is a very primal ,simple sport of determination, technique, a super grip, and using nearly every muscle in the body to work together as a unit. In basic terms like trying to get a stick away from another while in a seated braced position. A low center foot board allows for a good base of support and a tool in itself to apply body leverage. The combined pull at the stick in some matches may exceed1500 lbs!

My idea to throw out might be as I used in teaching years ago a softer rubber ring to grasp ,perhaps a towel rolled up into a rope, or a special ball or thick handled bar to pinpoint on grip. Perhaps a 3 implement "match "of sorts. Can be combined into grip contests.

Steve Slater put on a wonderful demonstration at Summerstrong7 using the eager people of strength present as competitors. Baby D found some success there so moved ahead.This sport seems to be quite old but recently revived by great strongman Odd Haugen. I don't know if I would ever want to be paired against his power but the matches and idea are very exciting!

I took a picture of "the look" and sent it to Wannagrip. I can see it all in a persons eyes.......being able to " bring it" is a gift ,an art a way of life. Some will never have it...........and those who do ...........!!!!!!!!!

Good night to train. Joe "House" Wilsons birthday. Lift first, then his party ...he is a tough one. Everyone did well benches in sets of 4 all went smooth , dumbbell presses. For light sets of 10 ,squats sets of 3 and Tompson protocol stretching. In a pair of borrowed shorts I wound up still having a good workout my depth in squat is easier with properly aligned hips. Johnny Ruthless hit 300 and I tried to tag along for a few reps . After stretching I always feel better so I decided to was h the hands hydrate a bit and go on a "walk about "with the pinched 35lb. York plates. My initial right pinch carried me farther than thought about 40 feet and then ,short alternate carries with the left hand. I had to stop once but made the entire lap around gym well over a 100' total.

I heard the official news that Baby D did win the Mas championship in California against a super strong Amy Wattles and secured her trip to Russia . D is one amazing gal. A little more grip technique training and that should be another accomplishment.

Training went really smooth last night. I rested, gathered thoughts for training and started after the main group started . My triplex pulls were the best they have been hitting the last 6 sets of three snatch grip to chin with 255. Dropped the bar to the platform with a soft thud off the DC pulling blocks and started with the deadlift. The bar for once again is feeling comfortable in the groove. Some snap in my back gave me a couple of extra sets of 3 with 410. 5 sets of ten in the straight bar curl and about a half hour of stretching following. Pain ,but ,feels so much better. Hundo and Johnny Ruthless did "walk about" carries with a pair of25lb . York plates and someday soon will be carrying the 35pair.

The gals were there working up an honest sweat and an enjoyable workout was had for all. I visited with Big Super D Thompson , enjoying his ever growing facility and golden insight on training and rehab. Lunch at Doc's BBQ filled in the voids with couple of hundred grams of extra protein.

Starting to get excited all over again about the wonderful feedback from Summerstrong 7. Listening to a Pod cast done by the Juggernaught crew that attended ,pitched in ,and shared a real strength experience. The networking and acceptance of the ideas stemming from World, Olympic , National, State champion coaches ,Pro athletes, American armed service heroes all just blended together to a sum greater than the parts. Our photo bank is finally been arranged and our highlights video has all been completed for others to enjoy. I guess as a young man the good that came from the York picnics planted a seed that will continue to grow .

Baby D flew back to Columbia early this morning hopefully reflecting on her Mas wrestling performance and the upcoming trip to Russia to compete.

Ready for the weekend, passed last night's training .The great day I had Tuesday turned into a painful low back pain yesterday and this morning . Delayed onset muscle soreness ...no fun. But,I will stretch a bit today and get into the outdoors tomorrow. Glad the chance of rain is low.....when the rains raise the water table the vipers are more concentrated in the swamps.

Still haven't seen Baby D to find out how truly the grip and Mas contest went . Big Rich was training on his inclines again two super easy ,paused ,raw presses with 500 looking towards his goal of 545-550. I am enjoying paired plate pinching again and the "walk about" style is functional and can be measured and timed for added training incentive.

Life can be a stick in the eye... literally. I packed up the truck and hit the deer lease land moving stands , cutting trees, pounding stakes, dragging and sawing brush or farmer walking behind a truck along a a field supporting the rear end of a box blind as it hung off the truck for a couple of hundred yards. 3 of us drank 24 bottles of water to try to keep hydrated. A pair of 30 year olds sure did wear this 64 year old down a bit. A snapped branch caught me square in the eye and did hurt quite a bit but ,I did not have any way to access the damage until later so ....back to work. After a 80 mile an hour ride down a rain slick dirt road chasing a poacher I got back to hunt camp to cook beef ribs and check out the eye. A pretty good gouge the with the white of my eye is blood red but other than swollen a bit I still can see so life goes on.

I look forward to training with the crew tonight and seeing baby D return. My back and shoulder is still fried from lasts Tuesday heavy pulls but ....you have to try. Grip training tonight with pinch plates, Pop's choke grip closes and perhaps a try on the grippers that I have not trained heavily on in a while. All good, alive, no snakebites, heatstroke, , still can see,and a good use of the benefits of my strength training .

Dragged into the gym last night but as soon as I arrived that "old feeling "always comes back telling me "just try to do the best the day and your body will give you"On my first sets of bench I hurt so much I thought I would throw up but, settled in my mind to just one set at a time hang with the pack .I started feeling better.I Ended with a strong double and watching Hundo push raw 330x3 at 202 bodyweight and Johnny Ruthless who now has gained from 175 to 221 body weight was slamming up singles with 235. We all along with son Bert did band ,standing banjo presses and oddly enough Bert did squat cleans ,followed by a jerk ,and slow lowering of the bar( like a reverse press). We all squatted and Hundo , Johnny and I were in triples to about 300. Cardio on elliptical followed by Thompson protocol band stretches let me feeling much better than I walked in.

The real highlight of the night was our newest training partner Sonya that has in about 4 months rose from failing standing up with a empty bar to last night doing deep ,low ,set of three with 135! What a proud moment for all. She missed the third rep and needed a light spot to stand and to my amazement called out and said "no !, one more" AND made it. I marvel at effort, progress, and resolve at any level. She has more heart and linear progress than all of us!

The last observation I made was of Cyborg Lawson ,an absolute physical wonder. He is the hardest training person I have seen other than Big Rich. Lawson no longer sets records in power lifting and strongman but ,he has devoted himself to intense training ,clean life ,solid diet,and ....family. Yesterday in between high reps sets of 405 close stance squat, killer cardio rowing for speed, endless sets of 10 with 270 pull down, heavy tricep presses, ab work enough to kill a gymnast he "mentioned "his weekend. This is a guy that looks like Hercules, I saw him lift a car 21 times with a broken lifting strap and "for joy "on the weekend with his young son planted a butterfly rock garden so his children could study the insects beauty close up. This person is equal in scope ranging from gladiator in Rome mixed with a pilot of the space shuttle. The key.....a real joy and absolute effort in everything both great AND small that he does ,and his existance and role as a man put into clear perspective. Life is not all about one thing.....

Edited by 1stCoC

I am just worn out ,I guess in a "good way "getting back to training speed. Triplex pulls ,almost my most favorite "hated exercise" really went well with the group topping out at 265 x3 snatch pull ,chin height on last phase of 3 segments. Deadlifts were in sets of two ,grinders every set.( tired I guess from squats yesterday) . Last set I figure couldn't get much worse so I decided to load the "expected "weight then in a quick moment slid a kettlebell on each end of the bar. Ugh. My first pull barely moved off the ground . Not enough pre load and smooth transition movement. Give up? ....I sure wanted to. Well , still seeing stars Ms. Sonya started asking me about a spot in the bench press with 100 for 5 reps...was I hearing right or O2 deprived? I cleared my head enough to spot her and see a set of 5 perfect reps! Darn ,if a beginner can go so far why can't I? By then I calmed my breathing sucked up what sprit I still could muster andwent after the deadlift bar again. Angered , I wound up getting the "one "I wanted with 2 extra reps from where ...I am not sure. Heavy sets of curls for 5 next up to 155 and 6 more sets of 5 on the machine iso curl unit to 100. Gassed , but ,then on to elliptical to loosen hip flexors ,and finally the Thompson protocol hip stretching. A real light dinner, water,and hit the bed.

Going to do some light pinch grip today to re hab with a special gift from a friend in strength that came all the way from San Francisco to attend Summerstrong7. Beau was in on every meeting , lift ,.and event and saw fit to have two real trolley bearings welded together as a grip tool that arrived this morning. I shall give them a good going over today.

I spoke with son Bert yesterday that early this morning flew to yet another Marine base to gather up with his new found friends and mentors of the special ops. I questioned him about what he thought about the range of skills and effort the Cyborg ( Jason Lawson ) puts forth daily. Bert thought a second and said" he never complains, makes the best of every situation or asset available ,AND his entire life and being is dedicated to EXCELLENCE . Man, that blew me away , no matter what it is he strives for that one thing and... all the rest will follow. Thanks to Bert and Cyborg for an appreciated great lesson in life!

The profound tiredness of yesterday gave way to a deep ,deep sleep last night. I don't know if it was my body just demanding more down time or some other inner peace allowing the machine to throttle back. Anyway, I do feel better today ( at least my fingers are working) and by training time , I will be ready for "war of the weights" again. New pinch block work might have helped.

I heard yesterday that a university track teammate of mine had been diagnosed with advanced non Hodgkin's lymphoma . I never knew him well as he came on the team in my senior year when I lived away from the dorm. In later years each time we met I knew and appreciated him more as a good person. Being a survivor I tried to tell him what lay ahead and to accept a change and battle wether he was ready for it or not. I guess my aches and pains seemed at that time to me to me nothing in contrast to "his road "ahead. For all of us ,tough times are in the mail so make the most of every given moment.

I wondered if I should feel, bad, sad, nervous or relieved it was discovered so ,while thinking" how I should feel", I diverted my attention to greeting an employee and asking him about his son. The boy is always a joy for me to see and I have enjoyed watching him grow. The father said to me , " well, I had to get down on him for not doing his chores yesterday" , he added, "a shame the world is run today with everything having to be correct". I wondered a bit what he meant but then a moment of stark clarity when he said" my grandfather gave me one choice "do it " or hit the road" ," things were all black and white in that day". His last words I shall never forget in regards of how I was trying to interpret my recent feelings " quote.." I had the feelings beat out of me long ago" .Stunned, I was glad I have "some "left to ponder over.

Edited by 1stCoC

Great night of training. Soreness left and everything moved well. Benches 5sets of 5 , Hundo hit 315x5 raw at 200 bodyweight. Johnny did a set of 5 at his new bodyweight (a first ever). My Thompson protocol work has helped my torso and hips to be more comfortable during benching so the sets at 250 x5 went easily for me. On to one arm rows 5 sets of 10 each arm with at least 100 lb. bell. I bunched the sets up to 2 sets of 25 and paid for it. On to heavy machine curls 5 sets of strict 5 and one set of 20. The finisher ...6 sets of 4 in the squat on the new bar and I felt really good at 310. Elliptical trainer 15 minutes for hip loosening and, stretching hips and hamstrings with bands .

The finish highlight of the night was to see our newest trainee Ms. Sonya pull a smooth set of 4 with 235 in the deadlift. Amazing progress! She has been training with Adrianne Wilson and Baby D. How much better can you do for expert insight and inspiration?

I went to check out the grippers as planned since my fingers and arm is working pretty well now. Went through no set close warm ups on Gillingham grippers 1-5 and then tried the other house grippers and motored easily TNS to 2.5. Not expecting to close a 3 again ,I was surprised to cinch it down to a bit under 1/4" on two trials. I guess recovery ,pinch walk about , and Pop's gripper have kept me in better shape overall grip wise for a 64 year old than I thought. I plan to do walk about training with the baby Inch bell as well for time and distance and using alternate hands if possible.

Spent a wonderful restoring weekend on the lake with great people and yesterday all the family went together on a watermelon cruise. A hot day followed by a brilliant sunset and cold, sweet watermelon ......can't beat it. The little rager Captain Ezra was in his happy place the whole day.

The water and recovery helped sooth my tight right elbow and the heavy gripper work even on the 3 didn't hurt me so on we train tonight. Perhaps a baby Inch walk about as planned.

Good news from the West coast Adrian Wilson again won her division in the Highland a North American Championships and good friend Matt Vincent took the honors for the men's.

It looks to be a good week and hoping to see the big wheels( 45s) finally on Ms. Sonya's squat bar , Baby D returned safe ,and Bert ,Clark Vader,and Hundo knocking it out of the park as well. I guess will will get to worship our returning Scottish war queen as well.

Big wheels keep on rolling! We all had a good night of lifting fresh from the weekend. Capping off the night was Ms. Sonya our newest addition squatting smooth rock bottom with the bar and a 45 on each end of the bar . A very proud day for any lifter to lift what we call Cadiallac's for the first time! It was not a single but ,a fifth set of 6 reps finished out at at 140 lbs! Hammered each rep.I think progressing from an empty bar to that in several months is truly amazing! Thanks to all our training pack for making this happen. Martial arts and Crossfit wiz Ms. Kim helped being a good coach and spotter in Adrian Wilson's absence (winning still another meet.)

Johnny pushed his best in the bench 225 for 3 sets of three, Hundo too at 325. I kicked in a bit and still coming back was lucky to feel a smooth, paused 3 with 280. Overhead ,diamond bar presses for sets of 5 , Banjo presses( everyone does them) 5 sets together, 5 sets alternate.

On to squats with a change to a old buffalo bar ( the one we have from some time ago has ends not turned up) for sets of 3 to 325. Gals used a straight bar with slight heel raise.

Stretching ...Thompson protocol.

Finished out with grippers wide set House Wilson closed a 3 , I came close twice, and TNS a 2.5 .Ms.Sonya actually on her first try came within a hair of shutting the 1. A good day of fun !

We took the mandatory "regrouping period "between the rigors of work to lifting by all resting a few minutes in the cool of the gym until 5:30 to begin training. You mentally deload while organizing and ramping up your plan and energy for the "war with iron". On time everyone is belted and taped up ready to go. It was a full hard night of pulling with weights and technique improving. Even my most trying patient Clark Vader is after 8 months recovery from a near life ending injury is doing quality Triplex pulls and deadlifts. The 9 sets of 3 in the triplex went up to 265 pulled to chin height using a snatch grip and rolling on into deadlifts 5 sets of 4 starting at our last Triplex pull weight. I had planned to hover at 345 or so but Hundo wanted more we settled on a last set of 4 with 405 but wound up pulling the last set for 8 reps. Heavy camber bar curls with a slow lowering for 5 sets of 6 with the bar and old York 45 Cadiallac's, then on the strict curl machine 3sets of 20 with 80.

Some pinch gripping on smooth kilo plates and a few table pick up and no set shutting of some 2.5 grippers. Son Bert caught up with us in all exercises coming in a bit late. Due to his rush a tweaked low back set in.

After the deadlifts I did the Thompson low back stretching protocol and watched the next crew Adriane, House,Ms.Kim ,and Ms. Sonya stroll in to do their training. I was there long enough to see Kim crank out sets of serious push presses and Adrian tired from no sleep and a cross country flight was still" game to train".

Even though "pushing it "was a long ,tough night ,good weights lifted ,and high spirits abound.

I had an enjoyable afternoon at lunch with Marc "Spud"Bartley talking new business ideas , working in accord, and sharing some overlooked training secrets. Spud has been through it all and was started out by 3000 lb. total champ Donnie Thompson and progressed through the powerlifting ranks and weight classes to a final world record total including a 1124 squat and a711 lb. bench. His big try at 1206 squat ended his lifting career as it tore his quad apart. Undaunted ,he went from a massive 308 to a trim 198 shredded muscle. He still trains hard but shares his equipment ,talent ,and wisdom with others. I quizzed him on his present workouts and he said" I try something new every day" I was a bit amazed at the relaxed smile and demeanor. After a tasty lunch the day went on but I thought about some of the ideas shared.

We do (in general )an undulating week of three workouts that address each main body part twice a week( every72 hours) and while the exercises are the same and done in the same order we change the set and rep schemes daily. My recent mistake has been veering from 4 weeks of increased training ,a50%load week ,and 4 more building weeks. The tenth week is "test week "for max and week following that is for rest. 11 week cycles. It seems I have been trying to get the new crew ready changed the workouts at 11 weeks but ,did not take the 50% or "off "weeks. The summer is hot here and combined with the non stop working on lifting without much moving or recovery we are strong ,but tired , injured ,and mentally flat. It was raining yesterday so the group was small and I tried a different twist. We rested until 5:30( about 15 minutes) and then went through the entire workout planned at one half(50%) the intended weight, same sets and ....double the reps. Easy.....? Yes , but there is where it stops . The weight allows you full stretch , good technique, deloading of frayed muscles and a definite mind set instead of grinding through a war. Johnny Ruthless was gassed by the end of the workout but both of us felt really good. A total of about 500 reps were done ( 300 in curl alone) but,this deloading day was valuable and mind clearing. I plan to look into the "omega wave" philosophy of training to perhaps enhance what we are doing. All in all, a really good day,

I have trained grip twice this week so it was an off night to recover.

Edited by 1stCoC

Had my time walking this weekend a gun show ( not the Jedd kind lol ) and a day in the deep ,dank ,swamps of the low country. We moved and replaced deer stands standing in the muck of a swamp bottom. Under bridges up hills, cross creeks, wade through mud and skeeters to set up a tower stand and recycle an old one.

Usual taping of minor lacerations and near heat exhaustion is the rule. Towards mid afternoon we trudged out successful in our mission. With super woodsman of 50 years Ol' Wesley followed me in his truck down a road less taken. We set up another great ground blind and continued on cutting storm downed trees blocking the road. Trying to catch my breath as the sun finally came out, I saw the ankle high grass swaying back and forth underfoot and realized I was standing on a wrist sized water moccasin. Time to learn how to dance and sing ! Had my pistol out in a flash but this grey devil decided to slither for it to the water at lightening speed. It was hot ,but, I sure had a chill run through me. Back to camp where a friend ran right into a rattlesnake the length of his tail gate after it was "dispatched." Lesson , Have fun be active but plan and be prepared for the worse!

Grip and lifting tonight with most of the crew returned.

Paper "stitch tape" by the way works quite well!

Edited by 1stCoC

Some kind of good lifting last night baby D is back doing sets of thick bar push press and 100 lb thick handle Circus bell presses . She Is setting out to a record breakers meet to hopefully establish some strong women world records in Sept. Johnny was squatting great and more guys are getting back in gym as fall nears. Ms. Sonya stunned us all by doing about 7 sets of 5 in the squat 3 of which were over her present max single. Last set 155x5 was flawless. What a success story!

I am going to cut it short today going straight to doctor, either that snake did jab me or my thumb on the "good" hand is badly infected.I saw yesterday on the news a fireman was stuck with a thorn near a swampy area and two days later they had to remove his hand. Well ,something has to give so ....a rare trip to the good doctor. From there ...not sure. My thumb looks like it belongs to a giant. Life.....

Well at least not a snake bite. Doctor said" bad, bad" whatever that means. Several shots pills and elevated arm rest until Friday for assessment an possibly IV antibiotic drip. The swamp water pumped into a cut by working with hand tools made for a perfect venue for infection. Upped my tetnus shot( something that gripsters should be aware pinching rusty iron and skin cracking. In Africa many tribes knock out the two front teeth so they can eat after getting "tetnus lockjaw". Be aware. Missed watching the crew last night and training to thrash Jedd in the "arms race". Well ,going to be a short, light work day with this sausage thumb.