Strengthening The Sweep

JHenze646

I struggle with the kink, technique and flexibility. However during the last few hard(for me) bends I have done, I am wasting time in the sweep trying to figure out how to keep the steel moving. Unlike the lighter stock I have, I have to move these bends degree by degree.

I can't seperate my kink, sweep, and crush training to individual days because my shoulders wont tolerate more than 1 or 2 days of bending a week. Would there be value in kinking one week and sweep/crush a few bars the next along with several full bends to work on these issues? At roughly what percentage of max effort would be advisable for these bars?

Is there a specific kind or shape of steel that would present a harder sweep to train this during full bends? I hope this is clear but if not, let me know. I can explain/ramble on further.

Thank you for the help.

• Like 2

I find 8mm 6" stock easy on the kink but at the last part of the sweep and the crush very challenging. I try move the wraps further up the bar so they almost meet in the middle or bring the wraps further out helps me

First what bars are giving you trouble? What wraps are you using? How often are you maxing out?

• Like 1

I am bending Reds every few weeks. Always in Imp. They aren't a true max maybe 90-95%. Thank you for taking the time.

I struggle with the kink, technique and flexibility. However during the last few hard(for me) bends I have done, I am wasting time in the sweep trying to figure out how to keep the steel moving. Unlike the lighter stock I have, I have to move these bends degree by degree.

I can't seperate my kink, sweep, and crush training to individual days because my shoulders wont tolerate more than 1 or 2 days of bending a week. Would there be value in kinking one week and sweep/crush a few bars the next along with several full bends to work on these issues? At roughly what percentage of max effort would be advisable for these bars?

Is there a specific kind or shape of steel that would present a harder sweep to train this during full bends? I hope this is clear but if not, let me know. I can explain/ramble on further.

Thank you for the help.

I work on sweep at the end of my bending workout I would use either 5/16 drillrod or next size bigger drillrod

prekink it 30 or 40 degrees on the length I would go maybe 8" and when you feel good with the bend next time cut

1/8 of an inch and go from there

Volume work. Buy some L or M drill rod and bend as many as you can in one session. Do this for 6-8 weeks. Do not touch s red until then. See the red fold faster than it ever has. Then cert time.

• Like 2