King Kong Thoughts

Eric Roussin

I was very pleased with this year’s King Kong event. We broke our record for the number of countries participating and we tied our record for the number of competitors. North America and Europe were equally represented (36 North American and 37 European competitors). All promoters promptly submitted the scores for their venues.

I think the move to all events with set heights made things easier for everyone. Much less judgment is involved as to what is considered a legitimate lift.

Andrew and I strive to improve this event every year. So we’d like to hear what you think. What could make this event better?

• Like 6

One question I have Eric, are the events going to change every year, or are you guys going to settle on a fixed set of events?

• Like 1

So far, the main reason we've changed events is to increase the ease of judging. For example, the one-hand axle deadlift -- though fun -- wasn't the best event to go with if we wanted to have consistent judging across all venues. So I guess we'd need feedback on this year's four events. Were there any issues with them? Do the four events provide a good balance across the various dimensions of grip strength?

My question is does competitors like knowing what's coming next year or prefer having the events change up?

• Like 1

The easier to judge the better.

I don't have a preference on using the same events every year or not.

The bigger the better. More promoters if possible.

I might be able to eventually come up with more suggestions, but right now, I can't think of anything.

I liked the event selection. It had an ideal selection of the 4 different grip types. Even the high end weights in these events can be handled by all body types and weight classes. The last farmer pick I competed in I lifted 630lbs but events like farmers picks and all that type of heavy work is something that borders on a different type of body skill which not everyone can handle at the high end in the 600lb+ neighborhood. (Ie. Bad backs, legs, lighter weight class) In the farmers pick my legs maxed out before my grip did. I think all events should have the grip fail before any other body part. I think the events which isolate the grip rather then involve too much legs and back are more competitive for grip sport.

I feel the 2.5 crusher tests the wrist and grip strength just as good as the the over hand axles and are easier to judge. Easier judgement the better. I also prefer one hand events over the 2 hand for some of the reasons above and the fact I don't train my left as much!

While I do like knowing what events to train for I am hesitant to say that the events should be the same eveytime. I think that would lead to a stagnant leaderboard and some loss of interest. On the other hand changing things too much every time doesn't allow enough focus in an area one may need to be really competitive. I would think a hybrid system would be a solution. Maybe 2-3 standard events which span the range of the different grip types and never change. Then then other 2 events change to keep things interesting. As our Russian friend Ivan Beritashvili wrote in the kkg results post, the favorites change and the intrigue lasts until the very end. I like that aspect of the sport. I would think 3+2 (3 standard, 2 changing) would be ideal but 2+2 is fine.

Time seemed to be a issue I think. This will vary by location. An all day event is fine but hard to pull off for everyone and by the end my arms were wasted from the endurance of hours rather then exertion. Part of this is talking with friends, which is great, and the number of people involved, which the more the better. The lag is a needed refinement in some events, like the euro pinch. Changing thickness and weights for everyone eats time. Maybe having two euros going based on weight or thickness would speed that one up. I am not sure of the solution or if it is really that big of a deal.

Just some thoughts.

(Chris Gallagher)

Edited by Detroit Iron4
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...

Any updates on King Kong events? I would like to know as id possibly need to order the implements and would like to start preparing for this years comp.

• Like 1

I'll start talks with Eric and get them nailed down.

Same format overall:

1 handed Pinch

Thickbar

Narrow/hub pinch

Vertical lift.

• Like 1

I won't be able to compete this year, but I would recommend the jug for the vertical lift. I tore my bicep on the v bar and someone else in my area did as well. I know its because we didn't use proper technique but I'm just suggesting the jug since its safer. its free moving on the pin so you have more leeway for technique breakdown. New people may make the same mistake with the vbar. 

You can use the same loading pin as the crusher with the cross bar to hit the height standard so judging would be easier than the vbar. 

Edited by Chez

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2016 at 3:50 AM, Andrew P said:

I'll start talks with Eric and get them nailed down.

Same format overall:

1 handed Pinch

Thickbar

Narrow/hub pinch

Vertical lift.

Any new info on this?

Anything can change but this is where we where last we talked. 

2.5" Crusher is staying along with the 1 hand pinch this year. The vertical bar will also stick around this year. 

Were discussing the hub event still so that one's up in the air. 

Also discussing the 2017 lineup of events. I'm thinking of replacing the V-bar with the anvil to drop the poundage's down but that's not going to be ready/tested all they way till later this summer. 

• Like 3

I assume the 1HP will be on the Euro and not the Flask?

Euro this year. With so many promoters around the world changing events can be a logistic pain. I dig the Flask 2.25" simplifies things a lot. I was just about to order one when the boss lady informed me that I can't order any more toys till after Fathers day. :blush

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2016 at 2:24 PM, Chez said:

I won't be able to compete this year, but I would recommend the jug for the vertical lift. I tore my bicep on the v bar and someone else in my area did as well. I know its because we didn't use proper technique but I'm just suggesting the jug since its safer. its free moving on the pin so you have more leeway for technique breakdown. New people may make the same mistake with the vbar. 

You can use the same loading pin as the crusher with the cross bar to hit the height standard so judging would be easier than the vbar. 

I really don't want to see another torn biceps in my gym, especially not mine.

JUG?

2017 will be an Anvil and if 200# moves on this thing I'll be shocked. 

Edited by Andrew P