From The Ashes......resurrecting My Grip

1stCoC

I have spent the last few days in Salt Lake City with the pack at a master coaches association convention. A lot to set up by the dry cool weather made it wonderful. Setup 10 booths was flawless and we ahead connected by support bridges the three cornerstones of athletics. Lift, move and recover. The coaches really "got" it and waves of old customers, friends and the highest caliber professional and college coaches all came to spend time experimenting with our new devices and sharing training thoughts. Al Vermeil, Charles Poliquin , and scores of the legends of strength tried and contributed. A casual showdown provided some fun were gathered up four some deadlifting and grip dyno testing. Had some real fun and memories when the face of 330 lb fire breathing coach/ powerlifter strongmen tried their mettle. I was invited from the crowd to give it a try. It was a good day! The sponsor was so pleased they as a prize/gift gave me the full color ,competition bar and bumper set that I had lifted with two fingers per hand

At another contest our man mountain salesman Dan Mckim World champion at Highland Games turned out enough rotational pulling power ( 823) on machine digital dial test unit to top the list of the several hundred that tried to win. The next four highest place numbers were my son and the rest of the pack., hopefully reinforcing" we live it not just sell it "

We are finally off from three non stop 13 hour in exhibit hall days so I think tonight we may relax and process some bovine protein ,and kilt country distilled spirits.

To see the level of trust,respect, and devotion the coaches exhibit after knowing most of them since their teens (now in their 40s and 50s )is a blessing and motivation.

A full room last night. Lots of varied lifting ...the young guys getting ready for the beach I guess. More curls and less squats . It takes time for them to learn so ....I let them "fly on their own"bit. My son and I squatted on the Anderson barrels to warm up then went to the squat bar. All felt fine. Had a good ,long ,pinch and hold with a pair of 35s so that was a good thing. Inflammation has dropped a bit in my hands.

I scooted over to Donnie T's place the Compound and watched him stretch for an hour with bands just to prepare his legs to squat again on the new bar. He and his partner that squatted a half ton a week ago seemed pretty excited. I never have fully realized the preparation, concentration and huge amounts of collateral training it takes to support a world champion. He stretched and prepared for one light squat day more than I have in the last decade! Most don't know diddly as compared with what I was able to watch unfold. Amazing! Pretty humble time.

Ready to lift again tonight . Deadlifts, back, biceps, grip and home!

Tired and grumpy last night but sucked it up enough to dash to the gym and get started. If I can get the tape on my wrists there is no quitting then. Triplex pulls, deadlifts and heavy curls about did me in. The deadlifts have moved up quite a bit and most of the 7 sets were at 400 or better. I finished the seventh set and Ozzie came on with Iron Man and the weight was back to 320. I went into the "zone "and quit counting after 10. At my 64th birthday at Summer Strong 7 a "big pull" might be in the stars. Curls were the same weight on Ivanko's great curl bar... 135lb. for 25 total reps in any set number each man "could get". I saw 3 sets of 9 ,and I saw 9 sets of 3 . We all finished together as a pack.

I was with an associate today from many years of lifting .A multi world record holder and champion dubbed the finest 148 lb. powerlifter in history, Dan Austin. As additional equipment was delivered to his facility I took the time to get on is Base Camp Rack/ Power link Platform setup and rig from what he had on hand a few of the basic hip and lower back alignment and mobility exercises Super D Thompson had shown me. Stuff set up perfectly for both Dan at 5'5 and myself at 6'5. Both guilty of heavy years of lifting with little or no stretching we both finished with a look as if we won the lottery for time spent. Great stuff! Lift, Move, Recover ... . The answer to all sports training. I was told by some of the the best in the field "the winner is who recovers first ,and best ,not who trains the hardest.

I was lone soldier about 7:00 pm finished out with some good band low back and hip realigning. Everyone lifted and scooted. I did 5 sets of 5 in the paused bench with 260, a single with 285 , 2 sets of 20 each arm with 125 in dumbbell row, and single rep squats on the new bent camber 80lb( empty) squatting bar. My max single has risen in 4 workouts from 350 ,360, 380,to a nice single last night at 400. I was quite pleased.

Hundo (that has gone in 6 months from a 265 single bench to 350 along with a strict 300x5 )spotted me on my last squat and left so ,while lathered up I figured to help ease stiffness with the band work. A good solid night of training.

Going to upgrade our training facility again to celebrate new products and our 34th year in business.

Fuzzy returns!!!!!!!Yesterday I ran smack into a twisted steel looking man that grinned at me and said" Pops it is Fuzzy"

Ten years ago I read a newspaper article about a true renaissance man that was graduating high school with the best score on entrance exams in the entire South,athletic football scholarship ,and gifted music ability. Shortly after and to my amazement he showed up at the gym and said he wanted to get bigger and stronger so "his plan "( whatever that was) would work. I agreed to help him and and in a summer he gained 27 pounds and his squat went from 245 to 500. He would show up covered with red dirt in of all things his pajamas. Yep, he figured he would work as a landscaper from daylight to afternoon and then come directly to the gym. He reasoned you didn't have to be dressed "special "to dig in the dirt. Well, dust, dirt and iron all summer. I asked him "why would you do this while all other guys were drinking beer and going to the lake"?. He smiled and said " So I can buy the Mercedes of my choice one day". The Yale strength coach called me and never had he seen a transformation from the time he was signed until the time he reported to first practice.He ripped into Yale football ,became team captain,was made a member of the most powerful secret society in the world the Skulls( look it up) and later was drafted by the pros for a bit. Triplex pulls, front and back squats and grip to beat the band landed him a picture on our wall of fame. It was so good to know that helping someone made for a full life of memories. It all comes around..........

• Like 1

Thank you for the journal entries, Richard. This is great stuff in here. I think someone may have told you this already but I believe you are a prime candidate for writing a book about your life.

• Like 1

I would buy it, Mr Sorin has contributed greatly to the strength and grip communities. His words are gold on the Board

I have always loved strength and the mystery of how it comes and goes in both the mind and body. My close friends and son have urged me over the years to write it down. I am happy ,if through my efforts just one person has grown or found their true calling in life being in strength or just a good man.

It is kind of a simple movie but take time to see" Big Fish" . It changed my sons outlook quite a bit on his Pop.

...take time to see" Big Fish" . It changed my sons outlook quite a bit on his Pop.

One of my favorites.

Second day of the week lifting completed a good but mellow pack. The gals were pushing harder it seemed than the guys. 50% of max squat done in 5 -20 second continuous intervals left them gassed and me impressed.

The one known as "Silent Bob "has been a regular for the last two months never saying a word but following the workout and instruction provided. He showed up first last night and seemed peeved his other buddies did not arrive yet! Good for him ! I said " YOU are here ,that is what matters ,so start your workout" A few minutes later his pals showed. Bob mentioned very quietly his bodyweight has come up 13 pounds( 8% of his body weight in solid muscle) and his bench has gone from 115 to 175 for three! You don't have to be born a monster to have personal success!

Deadlifts last night were pretty much torture ,no straps for grip and purposely using thick soled shoes to make the pull farther in range of motion. Five sets of triples from 355 to 430 pretty well did it. Heavy curls next doing a slow negative lowering each rep to assist grip. Only 30 or so days to Summer Strong 7. I might be included in a few of the challenges offered. We are deciding Friday if a big pull event on the IM axle may be included since we have some of the finest thick bar ( men and women)pullers in the world attending.One of our salesmen a "casual lifter" Crossfitter has done 420 without much training so there is talent abounding.

Band stretch for a half hour following on hips and low back. Went home almost too tired to eat. Water!!!!!!!

Good workout last night stepped up stretching and singles at 280 in bench 5 sets. Squats medium in sets of two., 35lb. Plate pair pinches and sets of 5 with 4 red bands on Pops gripper.

Gals ( we have a new National ranked weight thrower guest ) pulled thick axle deadlifts ip to 220 and Ms.D took off and did like she "was cleaning it "268 and a tired miss at 273. She has a big Highland meet tomorrow as she is defending World Champion so took it easy. Son Bert is off to Austin to visit U Texas strength room we completed and visit the Todd's at the wonderful Stark Center museum. More than a few pieces of grip history reside there. The Phantom gripper that was sent to Joe Musselwhite 22 or so years ago resides there next to some 1965 era Iron Man( Tetting?)super grippers that became Dr.Todd's calling card in his early years .

It is going to be a busy weekend , please remember those brave men and women that gave their service and their lives so we could freely enjoy theirs. I plan on visiting my 89 year old Marine friend /mentor a true American hero.

I am new to the sport but already think it is great. Have learned a lot on here and am currently learning about the history of it all, the history you are apart of. I don't like hearing about anybody getting hurt so best of luck to ya, have a good weekend and stay strong.

A great day in the outdoors of Greenville Sc. For the Highland games. To see competing strong friends including coaches in the trenches like Joe Kenn live what they preach. Our gals Adrianne Wilson and Baby D Curry place a strong one/two in the women's events. I saw hills for walking and a bit of long needed sun. People cheering on each other and supporting each attempt was refreshing. Agin the power , grip ,and technique training at the facility seemed to help them meet any challenges on the field.

I was up early this morning after a good night sleep helped by my increased stretching lately. Being Memorial Day as I mentioned Friday the deep thanks we owe to the ones that gave so much weighed heavy on my mind. I packed up early and went to see at his adult care center a 93 year old American hero that has cared for us and others for his entire life. A boxer for the army after his 3 tours in the First Marines in the most bloody battles of WW2. He was one of the 7 left in his group of 250 after his engagement in Peliu. He saw them bomb ( in person) the heights at Iwo Jima and how from all parts of the island and sea the raised flag could be seen. This man that drank from corpse filled bomb craters, with clothes rotting on his body ,was forced to use a deceased enemy as a blanket one night when the chills of malaria set in. I wanted on this weekend of his honor to go and just tell him "thank you." I knocked on his door which held a Marine banner. He sat neatly dressed having a conversation with perhaps his long lost comrades. He is near deaf and as much as I tried he just could not place who I was even after being a friend for the past 25 years. He has had all taken , his car, home, money and even shoes and all that remains is the brave shell that where once a fierce light burned. I was so glad to see him and tried to let him know he was loved and WE cared. It was both a happy, proud, and very sad day for me. God bless Al Karst and all our elders and people that have served this country, and have raised us the best they could.

A great day in the outdoors of Greenville Sc. For the Highland games. To see competing strong friends including coaches in the trenches like Joe Kenn live what they preach. Our gals Adrianne Wilson and Baby D Curry place a strong one/two in the women's events. I saw hills for walking and a bit of long needed sun. People cheering on each other and supporting each attempt was refreshing. Agin the power , grip ,and technique training at the facility seemed to help them meet any challenges on the field.

I was up early this morning after a good night sleep helped by my increased stretching lately. Being Memorial Day as I mentioned Friday the deep thanks we owe to the ones that gave so much weighed heavy on my mind. I packed up early and went to see at his adult care center a 93 year old American hero that has cared for us and others for his entire life. A boxer for the army after his 3 tours in the First Marines in the most bloody battles of WW2. He was one of the 7 left in his group of 250 after his engagement in Peliu. He saw them bomb ( in person) the heights at Iwo Jima and how from all parts of the island and sea the raised flag could be seen. This man that drank from corpse filled bomb craters, with clothes rotting on his body ,was forced to use a deceased enemy as a blanket one night when the chills of malaria set in. I wanted on this weekend of his honor to go and just tell him "thank you." I knocked on his door which held a Marine banner. He sat neatly dressed having a conversation with perhaps his long lost comrades. He is near deaf and as much as I tried he just could not place who I was even after being a friend for the past 25 years. He has had all taken , his car, home, money and even shoes and all that remains is the brave shell that where once a fierce light burned. I was so glad to see him and tried to let him know he was loved and WE cared. It was both a happy, proud, and very sad day for me. God bless Al Karst and all our elders and people that have served this country, and have raised us the best they could.

Very good story and insights shared....Let's not forget all those who served. Memorial day is one that will not be forgotten!

I thought the pack had retired when the only trainees in the facility was Kenny our accountant and myself. Oh well , at least I was ready. Triplex pulls went well pulling snatch grip 9sets of 3 to the chin with the last set at 225. I rolled the bar back and went straight into deadlifts for sets of 3 . All 6 sets were above 350 with my last sets at 395 and 425. All felt smooth and strong. Went right to the stretch bands for a battery of Thompson mentored hip, hamstring and low back stretching and decompression.

A little lightheaded and walking like a sailor for a bit I went straight to York paired 35 lb. plate pinches . Best in a long time . I was able to deadlift and hold them for long counts and on one witnessed set by a late arrival lifted and walked a dozen feet with them. I did go over to the paired 45s used in the Mighty Mitts contest and they seemed "ready to yield "soon.

As a huge treat my guys hauled a 2'x4' box into my office that was clearly labeled fro me from England. I have a feeling that my new friend collector Tom Balchin( owner of the super rare smaller original Thomas Inch bells) has seen fit to honor our interactive exhibit with a gift of some sort. I eagerly await opening the box!

The millstone of life surely grinds your dreams away.

I waited until my son came back to open the package sent by Tom Balchin. The time and skill it took to wrap such a thing was monumental. We went through 5 reinforced layers of foam, boards, bubble wrap and plastic trays to get to the center. A fine book written by Dr.Balchin on "The successful stroke Survivor" which I shall read cover to cover and a wonderful 2.5x2.5 ' athletic club/ pub sign of a grand old time lifter in 1932 depicted showing his lifting prowess in front of an awed crowd. I took photos of each step of unwrapping and the first picture as it came back into the light. A fine memory. A second later lost ...as an ice berg breaking up the man crumbled and fell from the mounting board painting. A lesson ?An omen ? Or just life? I am so thankful to have a friend try his best to send me something special but also to remind me that relationships ,kind acts,and memories outlast all things material.

Edited by 1stCoC

I was on the way out the plant door last night and received a call from a family that had a dog named Gryphon. I never get names right so I always called him Gilbert. I never met" him "in person but I would stockpile bones in the freezer so when the family visited they could bring him a treat. He was old and his legs just gave out not being able to use them. The family decided to make his favorite meals until they could get him to the vet. As a family yet they were by his side when he was put to sleep. The day they picked up that little puppy a bond and a promise was made. All the loyalty ,love , and joy he brought to the family would end one day and that was part of the responsibility in turn to see Gilbert through to the end. They did, good lesson in life. I guess I will still save the beef bones for a new pup.

Felt good lifting last night even better later on. Squats were solid but slow and hard, curls with the old school York deep dish 45s for 5 sets of 6 with 145( about the same as I did 45 years ago) and bench went well for 5 sets of 3 at 260 paused. Swelling in my wrists has gone down I guess fro using the Omega Xl for the past month so plate pinches now feel good. I added a set of Eleiko 5 kilo plates to the grip area to begin with them. I stretched quite a bit with the Thompson protocol and legs and hips do feel better. I trotted off happy.

Earlier today an old friend lifter of near 45 years came by and we went to lunch. On the way a vehicle I been thinking about came up in the conversation. Ford Raptor 6.2 liter truck is a monster of power and mechanical marvel. My friend jay said "hey a doctor friend of mine has one so lets go look at it ".Little did I know the doctor in the middle of expanding his practice (with a weight room added )was my former 5th grade star pupil in school. We had a weightlifting club and and at the end of the day the kids were all taught to lift weights instead of standing in bus lines. This outstanding student was given a crude award I made up proclaiming him "the strongest in the school". That was 35 years ago.....the award still hung on his office wall! I was touched to reunite with him knowing some small bit of effort helped mold a fine man and lifelong passion devoted to health. That just made the sad and bad all just go away.

• Like 1

A cup of Joe??????????

Our resident Wounded Warrior Dan Ramsey a fully disabled ,titanium clad ,retired Marine is part of the Sorinex team. During the Memorial holiday he visited a local Starbucks( near Ft Jackson) and discovered the renovation of the shop ordered by corporate involved the tossing out of hats( covers they call them) by soldiers of all forces that left them hanging as a reminder ,were lost and never returned to retrieve them. Danno as we call him rounded up the manager that refused to throw the hats in the trash as directed by corporate and Danno was given the honor to keep them until the families are re contacted or when a shadow box is completed by another grip supporter Joe "House" Wilson and they will be proudly displayed again.

Overtures from Starbucks corporate have been set aside on " the three strikes rule" by Danno. I thought we might just consider our poor, lost ,and dismembered of mind and body warriors that all they ever asked for was to provide freedom for us and perhaps to be remembered. No more coffee for this guy!

I just looked at a video of deadlift reps being done off a 2 3/4 " high set of blocks being stood upon to make a longer range ( ouch !)720x5 was pretty eye opening by big Rich. He wants a 900 raw ,and as a tested deadlift. Getting ready for Summerstrong 7 he said he was going by the gym to do some added grip. He said with no warmup he pulled 503 AA for an easy double. I have seen him personally on tape and training do 530 so he might be looking at that. We are thinking their enough people interested in thick bar lifting to have a small contest and perhaps exceed both male and female " world"records in the process during the 3 day expo.

I just looked at a video of deadlift reps being done off a 2 3/4 " high set of blocks being stood upon to make a longer range ( ouch !)720x5 was pretty eye opening by big Rich. He wants a 900 raw ,and as a tested deadlift. Getting ready for Summerstrong 7 he said he was going by the gym to do some added grip. He said with no warmup he pulled 503 AA for an easy double. I have seen him personally on tape and training do 530 so he might be looking at that. We are thinking their enough people interested in thick bar lifting to have a small contest and perhaps exceed both male and female " world"records in the process during the 3 day expo.

Richard - Please contact Jedd Johnson and jump through the very simple steps for contest certification so that we can enter those results into the NAGS (North American Grip Sport) record books without any questions. It's a simple process.

• Like 1

I thought the pack had retired when the only trainees in the facility was Kenny our accountant and myself. Oh well , at least I was ready. Triplex pulls went well pulling snatch grip 9sets of 3 to the chin with the last set at 225. I rolled the bar back and went straight into deadlifts for sets of 3 . All 6 sets were above 350 with my last sets at 395 and 425. All felt smooth and strong. Went right to the stretch bands for a battery of Thompson mentored hip, hamstring and low back stretching and decompression.

A little lightheaded and walking like a sailor for a bit I went straight to York paired 35 lb. plate pinches . Best in a long time . I was able to deadlift and hold them for long counts and on one witnessed set by a late arrival lifted and walked a dozen feet with them. I did go over to the paired 45s used in the Mighty Mitts contest and they seemed "ready to yield "soon.

As a huge treat my guys hauled a 2'x4' box into my office that was clearly labeled fro me from England. I have a feeling that my new friend collector Tom Balchin( owner of the super rare smaller original Thomas Inch bells) has seen fit to honor our interactive exhibit with a gift of some sort. I eagerly await opening the box!

NIce deadlifts and I bet pinching those york 35's felt good! Your on the move

Workout went very well last night. Benches doubles for five sets of two with 280 raw. Smooth and easy. Standing presses on fat handled diamond bar 5x5 neutral hands ,parallel grip, squats with the Anderson squat barrels . Starting at empty barrels ( 150 went up in 20 lb jumps for sets of three to top work sets at 290. Felt real good.

Thompson stretching a bunch afterward to de load back and hips. I am off to train at Donnie's tonight with Ms. D and do deadlifts with them at the "new" Compound. Donnie will be probably squatting tonight on the new big bent 80 lb Bosco bar. About three weeks to Summer Strong 7 and if healthy, I want to pull 500 one more year. Right at one half century of every year pulling 500 or more.

I worked on a new idea ( at least for me) taking a pair of loose, pinched paired York 35s and hands used being optional ( mostly right) go as smooth and quickly around the perimeter of the room pinching and walking a bit , then re -grabbing ( right or left) to next forward position until a complete " pinch around the horn"TM was finished and plates put back in their starting holder. The total was 104' with 2-40' straight aways and 2 -12' ends. Most carries were short but ,some were up to 16'. 1 lap was perfect to "gas me "for now. Pinch is coming back with Pops gripper choke hold and Plate pinch combo sessions.