burkhardmacht

Great Blob Lifting, bro!

Thanks Jörg! Thanks Flo!

Well done on the blobs!

midnight workout

Grippers (left and right hand)

5x1xT#

5x1x1#

Just trying to find the optimal spot for setting the gripper for a credit card set. Still not satisfied but I have time!

Shotrotation for active recovery

Light work for blood flow and recovery

- Towel roll up

- shot rotations

- Sidewinder

DO Axle DL (+chains)

1x3x55kg

1x1x95kg

1x1x110kg (+40kg) weight too much - did this load by accident!

7x1x105kg (+40kg) - this weight is also too much for the purpose - will reduce it next session!

Blob

right hand

1x1x30/35/40#

1x1xBlob50 Crazy - that was the best blob lift I've done until now - it felt so easy as if I could do a clean!!!

1 attempt with Blob50 (+2,5kg - lifted about 10cm!)

1 attempt with Blob50 (+2,5kg - lifeted about 15cm!)

My PB ist still at Blob50+1kg.... but not fot long anymore hopefully!

6x1xBlob50

left hand

1x1x30/35/40#

4x1xBlob50 (out of a lot of attempts!)

Especially with the right hand in some occasions I could feel that I'll lift the Blob50 after grabbing it right before the lift. It's just as if time stands still for a fraction of a second - no thinking - just feeling that I hit the right spot. I had the same feeling years ago when shooting with bow and arrow just before opening the hand I did know that I would hit the middle of the target - great feeling!

Nice lifting on the blob!

• Like 1

DO Axle DL (+chains)

1x3x55kg

1x1x95kg

7x1x105kg (+40kg) - this weight is also too much for the purpose - will reduce it next session!

Blob

right hand

1x1x30/35/40#

1x1xBlob50 Crazy - that was the best blob lift I've done until now - it felt so easy as if I could do a clean!!!

6x1xBlob50

left hand

1x1x30/35/40#

Especially with the right hand in some occasions I could feel that I'll lift the Blob50 after grabbing it right before the lift. It's just as if time stands still for a fraction of a second - no thinking - just feeling that I hit the right spot. I had the same feeling years ago when shooting with bow and arrow just before opening the hand I did know that I would hit the middle of the target - great feeling!

Nice lifting on the blob!

Thanks bro!! I'll try to improve on this as soon and as far as possible!

DO Axle DL (+chains)

1x3x55kg

1x1x95kg

Blob

right hand

1x1x30/35/40#

6x1xBlob50

left hand

1x1x30/35/40#

Great work Burkhard! Remember that feeling, the state of mind you were in at the moment, the feeling of success and without forcing it, allow it to happen more and more and apply it to other lifts too. This will allow you to set more and more PRs and big lifts at will.

• Like 2

DO Axle DL (+chains)

1x3x55kg

1x1x95kg

Blob

right hand

1x1x30/35/40#

6x1xBlob50

left hand

1x1x30/35/40#

Great work Burkhard! Remember that feeling, the state of mind you were in at the moment, the feeling of success and without forcing it, allow it to happen more and more and apply it to other lifts too. This will allow you to set more and more PRs and big lifts at will.

Thanks Bob! Yes, that feeling was really great!

• Like 1

DO Axle DL (+chains)

8x1x55kg (+40kg chains)

Felt good and very light - ideal!

Plate Pinch

1x1x 2x15kg plates

1x1x 2x15kg plates (+5kg)

right hand

3x1x 2x20kg plates

left hand

3 attempts with 2x20kg plates (lifted to around 20cm) disappointing!

Blobette (left/right hand)

40x1x6kg

Shotrotations

Edited by Burkhard Macht

How much volume do you do in the DO Axle deadlift? If it's not that much have you tried higher volume? I train it once a week and. for example, last workouts total volume (all DO) was 2,590kg (67.5x3, 81x3, 94.5x3, 108x ten singles, 121.5x1, 125x1, 128.5x1, 131.5x1, 135x1, 140x1). In general I have found that, long term, there is a VERY strong correlation between peak performance and total volume, not intensity but volume.

Axle DO DL (warm up with mixed grip)

1x1x135kg

2 attempts with 147,5kg (best attempt a bit over knee level)

147,5kg is my best competition lift and 155kg my best inofficial lift. I did not feel very good today but I think even in top condition I can't do 150kg at the moment. Time to change this!

Plate Pinch

right hand

2x1x 2x15kg

3x1x 2x20kg (not easy)

left hand

2x1x 2x15kg

3 attempts with 2x20kg (best up to 15cm)

Power Twister

1x10x8mm DU

1x10x8mm DO

1x10x9mm DU

1x10x9mm DO PB

1x4x10mm DU PB

Tried to bend the 10mm spring DO - the kink was no problem but the begin of the sweep.

Feeling not good these days - seems to me that I have overdone it a bit. I'll change some exercises for a few weeks to come back to a better strength level after this period.

Edited by Mikael Siversson
  • Like 1

How much volume do you do in the DO Axle deadlift? If it's not that much have you tried higher volume? I train it once a week and. for example, last workouts total volume (all DO) was 2,590kg (67.5x3, 81x3, 94.5x3, 108x ten singles, 121.5x1, 125x1, 128.5x1, 131.5x1, 135x1, 140x1). In general I have found that, long term, there is a VERY strong correlation between peak performance and total volume, not intensity but volume.

Axle DO DL (warm up with mixed grip)

1x1x135kg

2 attempts with 147,5kg (best attempt a bit over knee level)

147,5kg is my best competition lift and 155kg my best inofficial lift. I did not feel very good today but I think even in top condition I can't do 150kg at the moment. Time to change this!

Plate Pinch

right hand

2x1x 2x15kg

3x1x 2x20kg (not easy)

left hand

2x1x 2x15kg

3 attempts with 2x20kg (best up to 15cm)

Power Twister

1x10x8mm DU

1x10x8mm DO

1x10x9mm DU

1x10x9mm DO PB

1x4x10mm DU PB

Tried to bend the 10mm spring DO - the kink was no problem but the begin of the sweep.

Feeling not good these days - seems to me that I have overdone it a bit. I'll change some exercises for a few weeks to come back to a better strength level after this period.

Mikael, thanks for asking! I do the Axle Do DLs as a part of my speedwork for squat and DL and because my back is so weak I can do the DLs in DO style on the Axle. As L. Simmons proposes I first do 10-12x2 reps in the box squat (+ chains) and then only 8 singles for the deadlift to avoid the developement of bad DL from due to an overload of the nervous system. Because of this reason the volume in the deadlift is indeed very low. I reduced the barbell load dramatically since last workout because the previous weights did not allow real speedwork. But instead I'll increase the load of the chains! I'm really looking forward to the results. I'll keep the volume low until I have found out if this works for me or not.

I never did so much volume on the axle like You described. The only other work on the axle I did was 5x5 and a conventional pyramid system. Both developed back pain and in the end weakness - today I believe that an overload of the nervous system was the reason. By now the back pain is not the problem anymore because I did a lot for the midsection.

But I did a lot of volume with fat dumbbells or my InchDBs. The most extreme was when I did as many reps with my 69kg Inch in one weeks. I did this for 3 months and at the end I did 29 singles in one week (+plus warm ups). It ended in a total breakdown of my strength - I was unable to lift my 63kg Inch and had problems with my 57kg Inch! For sure too much intensity....

Most of Your volume contains very light weights! Do You do those light weights as fast as possible? What is Your max Axle DO DL? Do You have a special goal for the Axle in 2016? How about posting Your progress in a log here in the workout section? That would be really interesting to see!

PS: The quoted axle work was a max test and not a normal workout!

Edited by Burkhard Macht

The 10 singles are at 80% of max and done quite explosively. If I do high volume closer to my max my CNS gets fried. Doing lots of singles at 80% or thereabouts also allows me to lift with perfect form and that carries over to the max attempt. The 140k I did on that day was not quite max but the following week I did 141 k and that was indeed the max for the day. My best at -74 in training is 145k and that was done using the sumo style. My goal for 2016 is 150k at -74k BW. Apart from axle I also train with the LGC handle and the Wrist Wrench as far as thick bar training is concerned. My best with the latter is 39.2k total weight whereas I have done 66k in training with the LGC handle in strict style. The LGC handle is probably harder for most than an Inch dumbbell at the same weight. It was much harder when I compared it with a 54k baby Inch. My main focus these days is on thickbar training as this carries over best to everything else grip related. I regard myself as a 'hard gainer' in grip so compensate for that by never missing a workout (apart from holidays) and staying on a very strict diet to keep my BW below 74k. I can't do anything in moderation, its all or nothing:). I will see if I can force myself to resume my training log.

The 10 singles are at 80% of max and done quite explosively. If I do high volume closer to my max my CNS gets fried. Doing lots of singles at 80% or thereabouts also allows me to lift with perfect form and that carries over to the max attempt. The 140k I did on that day was not quite max but the following week I did 141 k and that was indeed the max for the day. My best at -74 in training is 145k and that was done using the sumo style. My goal for 2016 is 150k at -74k BW. Apart from axle I also train with the LGC handle and the Wrist Wrench as far as thick bar training is concerned. My best with the latter is 39.2k total weight whereas I have done 66k in training with the LGC handle in strict style. The LGC handle is probably harder for most than an Inch dumbbell at the same weight. It was much harder when I compared it with a 54k baby Inch. My main focus these days is on thickbar training as this carries over best to everything else grip related. I regard myself as a 'hard gainer' in grip so compensate for that by never missing a workout (apart from holidays) and staying on a very strict diet to keep my BW below 74k. I can't do anything in moderation, its all or nothing:). I will see if I can force myself to resume my training log.

Do you find any value in "thumbless" fat bar training? For me it's a weakness so I'm adding it in for a while to see what it does. Just wondering if others have found any value in it?

Mikael, thanks for all the info about Your training, goals and overall approach! That's really interesting! Keeping a log keeps me more motivated because I know that others watch what I'm doing - it's just an instrument. Since I train alone for more than two decades it has advantages to keep contact to others who know what grip or even weight training is all about.

Good luck with Your training and keep me posted on Your progress!

Do you find any value in "thumbless" fat bar training? For me it's a weakness so I'm adding it in for a while to see what it does. Just wondering if others have found any value in it?

I do this from time to time but for me it's also a weakness. I'm sure this helps with armwrestling and fatbar as well as other grip events , for example twohand pinch!

I have trained thumbless (RT) in the past but I did not find it very beneficial.

DO Axle DL (+ chains)

1x3x55kg

8x1x65kg (+40kg)

onehand plate pinch (+chains)

2x1x 2x15kg (set up contains two 15 kg plates, pin and collars - total: roughly 32,5kg)

left and right hand

5 attempts with 2x15kg (+8g chain) - left hand no, right hand one lockout which means that all of the chain left the floor, in the end it's near a high pull!

gripmachine (twohanded)

12x25kg

12x45kg

2x8x65kg

Levering - just playing around and trying some different stuff

chin ups (on free tube)

12x4,8mm (a little low in bw - have to add some weight soon to get a good total weight!!)

My goal for 2016 is 150k at -74k BW.

I came to the conclusion that my goal for 2016 is 160kg on the Axle DO DL, at around 83-86kg BW depending on how my body develops under near vegan circumstances. Let's see how this will work...

Blob (right/left hand)

2x1x35#

2x1x40#

5 attempts with Blob50 (right hand 2 lifts, left onl to about shin level) - strength is not there anymore, time to do smaller blobs!

InchDB (each hand)

6x1x51kg - felt heavy, no good day today!

Wristroller (each way)

20kg to total PUMP!

in between 10x1xT# noset - Fun stuff!

• Like 1

Axle DO DL (+chains)

1x3x55kg

8x1x75kg (+40kg)

Blob (+chains) (each hand)

1x1x35#

1x1x35# (+2kg)

10x1x35# (+4kg) (part of those were alternating reps)

Taking it easy today, head and elbows in pain - so for me it was more important to not totally skip the workout.

• Like 1

Gripmachine (twohanded)

12x25kg

12x45kg

8x65kg

3x85kg

5x90kg PR

Fingerwalking (I use a stick of a shovel, it's thicker at the end and not totally straight, today thumbs down grip/each hand)

1x 0kg - so no plate on the stick

1x1kg

1x2kg

3x1x2,5kg

This exercise is new to me, I'm just experimenting and trying to move my fingers correctly which is really fun and interesting! The thumb gets a really good pump and seems to be the limiting factor at the moment.

Shot rotations after contrast bath - those baths are also new.

Gripmachine (twohanded)

12x25kg

12x45kg

8x65kg

3x85kg

5x90kg PR

Way to go!