Buy The Ticket, Take The Ride

JHenze646

After a period of training, I come to a point where I have made a little progress or am right about to make progress and then the wheels fall off so to speak. I hope today was just a bad day.

Another Frustrating Saturday

Squat up to 335x1 this is what I wanted to hit today but it was way worse and more difficult than it should have been.

https://youtu.be/yhQ2KE0T5IM

It rained nonstop all morning and I can't do log inside.

PP axle up to 180x2 - max effort

Def. Dead up to 365x3 - max effort

I had hoped to at least do farmer picks and stones but after this abysmal performance, I decided to drop everything else. I bent some things to work my frustration.

DO bend 60D x2, 1/4 sqr

Spike

Right side SCF Polo0(pr), attempted another kinked Polo0 moving it a few degrees

Left polo0, DC0 to heart

https://youtu.be/QQhc3uBxNHg

Bad days happen. I want progress, even if it's little, for the time and effort. I wish I knew what I am doing wrong.

And next week I will be away from home. Good or bad, we will see...

My two cents. You're doing too much and working too hard too often. Relax a bit - do more "punch the clock" workouts as Dan John calls them. You're trying to "make things happen" - sometimes you have to "let" things happen a little more.

• Like 2

I was supposed to make it to Brent's for grip and then some throws coaching but it did not work out.

The soup is on Sunday.

Grprs - CBT I had to drop way down. I could not get the RX'd program.

2HP 160 3x3

The field was a mess. I had to pull a few stones back up out of the earth. I didn't throw weights or hammers. I just ran through a few drills with each. Hopefully better weather next time.

Later in the evening, I got a message about bending steel and I went to the garage to look over it.

DO bend

60Dx2, 1/4 sqr, 5/16 crs, rednail all in leathers.

A "taking of inventory" of sorts.

The wife and I went on a short getaway, 20 hrs of driving and a few days at the beach. Unfortunately, despite all the media hype, I didn't even see one shark. We did however take a low tide walk along a seawall were I lined up hermit crabs to race. It was uneventful.

Another fun Sunday

Squats 135 3x10

Strict press 90 3x10

Grippers -CBT deload & some prep for the hose

Coc 2 CCS 7.5: https://youtu.be/EAWPTFqPz0Q

I am trying to scale back a bit and have more fun while training. Plus I had to work out a lot of kinks and issues from the time off and driving.

Deads from 3 inch blocks up to 455x1, 475xfail, 405 3x3 - this constitutes as fun but I am not accustomed to pulling heavy and will need to work this up

2HP up to 190x1, 200x0, 180 4x1

Farmers 110 100' turn&return 3 trips

These were tough because it has rained/lightning the last 3 or 4 times I was supposed to hit farmers

* My landlord said he wanted to bust out a section of concrete behind the garage. I asked if I could do it and he said go ahead.

Stone 190x fun! - each lift was a high pop off the chest and a power slam to the ground! The concrete sank a few inches into the earth and is smashed into pieces. One of my neighbors walked by while I was doing this. She crossed ridiculously to the other side of the street and responded with an uncomfortable wave when I waved and said hello. I am starting to really not like my neighborhood.

Reverse sled drag 90 100' turn&return 2 trips - these were brutal and definitely something I need to work more.

DO bending 60dx2, 1/4 sqr x2, JH Gr5, 5/16 crs x wobble

Blockweights Big 6,+5, +10 x0

Around the worlds 45's

Shoes R x polo0, SCF UL2 to heart(pr) I didn't know I had any UL2 left and thought it was a polo1 and I was finally getting my right side down but...

L x polo0, DC1, W3 x fail

The Dc1 felt like butter but the workman did not move. Time for some SX7's

post-23285-0-68747100-1436129007_thumb.jpost-23285-0-74944200-1436129066_thumb.jpost-23285-0-37595500-1436129153_thumb.j

That's awesome Josh, did the stone get damaged at all from the demolition job?

That's awesome Josh, did the stone get damaged at all from the demolition job?

Not a scratch. We had thought the concrete was only 2 inches thick but it was more like 4-5. It was a blast usually I lift my stones down to protect the floor.
  • Like 1

Hmm... Tuesday

SSB to box 185 5x5

Crusher 100x3, 110x5, 90x12

Wrist roller 25 x3

Reverse bending for the FBBC July challenge timber tie, 60d, Gr5

FBBC Challenge Bend July 2015: https://youtu.be/lC1IK35XxPk

Setups&side bends

Thanks for reading my log.

• Like 1

Strong reverse!

Strong reverse!

Thank you, Sir. I had another piece of steel I wanted to try after that bolt but I removed some skin during this bend.

Rain or shine Thursday

It has rained everyday it seems forever. I can't do log presses inside and I have a log press goal that I have to achieve. I set the log up outside covered in towels and pressed it in the rain.

Log push press up to 200x3

Something in my shoulder cramped after this.

Lots of light rows, arms, shoulder work & streching.

Something Saturday

I tried to get some throwing practice in. Even though it was still early people were setting up the pavilion in the park where I throw. They didn't ask me to leave or stop or anything but who is really going to confront the clearly mentally unstable man throwing rocks and hunks of metal and talking to himself.

I ran threw braemar, open stone, HWFD, & LWFD. My throws were off and at this point I did not want to throw hammers around the people at pavilion. The ground was also incredibly soft from all the rain.

I hit the gym later that evening.

Sq 135 3x10

Grprs CBT week 5

SP 90 3x10

2HP 160 4x3

DOAD 230 3X5

My shoulder was bothering me and I called it a day.

I had to travel for work this past week. It was an impromptu trip and presented challenges.

Saturday I competed at Throwers Anonymous Highland Games. I competed with the amateur B group. It felt every bit of 90° F in the field. I had PB's in a few events and a few others left me scratching my head.

Back and Forth Sunday

Woke up with a terrible sinus/allergy headache and had to take meds.

Squats 135 3x10

Grprs CBT week 6

Something is wrong with my right shoulder. Squatting with even this light weight caused ridiculous amounts of pain throughout my right arm.(pinched nerve?) This happened last week as well. I think this is entirely an issue with squatting as the pain gradually subsided as I continued.

As I progress along with the CBT program I am noticing little improvements here and there. I don't think I have enough grippers to progress optimally though. For the last several week I have used the same gripper because I don't have anything in the RX'd percentage.

Strict press 90 3x10 all pain goes away while pressing(?)

2HP up to 180x1 backing off due to shoulder

Deadlifts up to 365x1 - at this point the pain in my right arm, the games yesterday, and the drowsiness from the meds wore out my desire to push harder.

Shoes L polo0, DC1 to heart R struggle with a polo0 @ 100° for a few minutes not moving it.

After a shower and some food(1 hr. later), the pain in my shoulder and arm was almost completely gone.post-23285-0-23563000-1437354220_thumb.j

Rodeo squats Tuesday

Since the shoulder flare ups the last two weeks, I decided to skip regular squats and try to "rig" up something similar to belt squats. I put a barbell in the landmine, added 90 lbs., used my dip belt, and started trying to find the position. I moved my feet around a few times, some too far forward some too far back. On the last rep, I set my feet and tried to really lean back into it. At the bottom, the weight touched the floor and the chain to the belt lost tension. It slide back towards the landmine joint and I started to fall backwards. I tried to catch my balance by shifting forward which caused the chain to catch both pulling me backwards more and pulling the barbell forward out of the joint. The barbell instantly dumped the plates and hit me in the back of the leg as I fell to the ground... Good warm up set.

Crusher 90x5, 100x3, 110 Lx4 Rx5, 90 x 10count hold

Wrist roller 25x3

Sit ups, side bends, sled drags, and box jumps.

does the ssb bother your shoulder as well?

I haven't tried and won't try until after Dublin. It might sound like I got wise or something but I assure you I have not.

Another fun Sunday

Box jumps & Grprs CBT wk7

Sp 95 3x10 & 2HP 170 3x3

DOAD 270X3,3,2/1

Keg carries unknown weight 100 ft turn&return(filled with bent steel)

Shoes R polo0 x 2 attempts, L Dc0, D-Lux2 to heart PR, a few iso hits on a pre-bent SCF LITE PL3

Stones 190 4 reps

Club swings

post-23285-0-23066000-1437940152_thumb.j

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had the opportunity to throw at the Dublin Irish Festival. However I had to travel for work two of the three weeks before the event and despite my best efforts I showed up detrained and tired. I threw a few feet short on average on almost every event. Next time...

Thinking too much Tuesday

I struggled to stay focused the whole time. Stupid work nonsense.

Squat worked up to 315x3(it's like starting over every single time)

Grprs - CBT wk8

Box jumps & hang snatches*

Crusher 90 2x10

Sit ups & side bends

Saturday throwing

I throw in a county park almost every Saturday but a few weeks ago I located a pair of cabers to the field. I was throwing a caber and after a good pull, I turned around to see a squad car crossing the field toward me. I thought, "Here we go." and walked over to gather my shoes. When I looked back up he had turned back toward the road and proceeded to drive off. He must have only wanted to see me turn the caber. Here is my worst attempt. Advice welcome.

Caber practice: https://youtu.be/KIqcsVVIbP8

Another Fun Sunday

Squat 135 3x10

Grprs CBT wk9 test week after working up I decide to try for an MM0 attempt. I have been working with block sets the past eight weeks and unfortunately my set hand obscures the set on my left side. I was not able to get both closes on a single video attempt after this. I will put in a little more work and try again.

MM0 attempt: https://youtu.be/kGCq4zrD4MM

Strict press 95 3x10

Def. Deads 365x5, 345 2x5

Horseshoes R polo0, L DC0 to heart in seconds,

I don't currently have any high end novice shoes so I wrapped a SSP 3 and gave it my best effort. I will post the video in the horseshoe thread.

Stone 190 5 reps

Thanks for reading my log.

Behind it Tuesday

SSB to box 185 5x5

Hang snatch* 105 3x3

Crusher 90x5, 100x13,90x5

3 attempts at double 35 hub lift

Rev sled drags/rev. Hyper*

Side bends/ Situps

Attempted the FBBC August bending challenge

I tried 1/4 round crs x 7 in single leathers. I got into a feasible position, or so I thought, and started applying force. Just as the steel started to yield my shoulders yielded first, both with very loud and uncomfortable pops.

It didn't feel broken but it didn't feel good either. I stopped right there with only the slightest wobble to the bar, or "out of true".

Drive the caber a little more before you pull. When you stoped it was still behind you. More agressive on your drop and pull.

• Like 1

Drive the caber a little more before you pull. When you stoped it was still behind you. More agressive on your drop and pull.

Thank you for taking the time to look at it an offer advice, Nick.

Hey josh,

That mm0 vid looked fine to me. Did it get red lighted? Ive seen you block set heavier grippers than that. You got this man!

Hey josh,

That mm0 vid looked fine to me. Did it get red lighted? Ive seen you block set heavier grippers than that. You got this man!

I did not submit the video for judging. I want to achieve MM0 with this GHP7 for both hands in one video. I watched the video over and over but did not submit it. The set on my left hand is not displayed as it should be and more than likely wouldn't pass. I want both or neither.

This is the first time I closed this gripper with both hands at the same time. It's just not MM0 cert quality. Yet...

Thank you.

• Like 1

Josh, take a look at this thread:

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=36148&page=2

Bill claims there never was an mm0. As you can see, I bring it up about halfway down the page and a few guys even offer evidence that it existed, but no response.

So I wouldn't even bother going for your off hand mm0, apparently it "never existed."

Thanks, Anthony. I remember Tom S doing the off-hand cert.

It really doesn't matter whether it was being tracked as a MM0 cert or not. I want both hands to be strong and capable. I want to not have an "off-hand". The progress forward is important.

• Like 2