Log: Getting As Strong As When I Was 25 By The Time I'm 40

Royz

What have you done the past 3 years to increase your thick bar?

I think I've tried almost everything. High reps, low reps, high volume, low volume, rotating movements or just focusing on one movement.

However looking back to my logs I think I made the best progress doing thickbar twice a week and alternating between high volume with medium intensity with low volume high intensity. But I wasn't doing any heavy squatting or deadlifting back then because of my bad knee. So maybe my cns was just a bit more 'fresh'. This was the same period (last part of 2013) when I was strongest with grippers. With grippers I was alternating between light sessions(15-20 rep sets), medium sessions (2-6 rep sets) and heavy sessions (singles, holds and negatives). This worked very well, unfortunately this was followed by a very long period of severe tendonitis.

June 30th 2015

Seem to have sustained some kind of bicep-ish injury. So no curling, rowing or pulling for a while...

Really feel I'm not very focused at the moment and can't really decide how to approach training for getting any results. Switching between different ideas constantly.

Overhead press

up to 5x75kg

Vulcan filed 20mm blockset

Right up to 4xL12 + hold L16

Left up to 4xL11 + hold at L14

Didn't feel good today.

Dumbbell floor press

up to 5x48kg

Mounted wristroller 48mm

Forward x80kg!

Backward x100kg!!!

Both were a real struggle but I finally got 100kg! Wanted to film the effort but unfortunately I found out that my camera had died, probably from all the abuse in my gym bag. Arms and hands completely fried after this.

Dip machine

dropset

7x170kg+7x150kg+8x135kg

Front levering

rest pause

19+4+4x4kg

Back levering

rest pause

20+10x6,5kg

Side lateral raises

3x15x18kg

Edited by Royz

You need a plan that suits your needs and follow it Royz! Do you know the book "Practical Programming for Strength Training"? For me it is worth it's weight in gold. The Kindle edition is only 8,62 € at Amazon. You could also try a Westside or 5-3-1 inspired programm.

You need a plan that suits your needs and follow it Royz! Do you know the book "Practical Programming for Strength Training"? For me it is worth it's weight in gold. The Kindle edition is only 8,62 € at Amazon. You could also try a Westside or 5-3-1 inspired programm.

I will definitely look into that book! Thanks Jorg. The biggest problem I think for me is fitting grip movements into the plan. If you focus on three movements like you do you get a very compact and clear training. When you only train twice a week and want to add movements for thickbar, pinch, grippers and wrist you end up with a training that cost you 2 hours to complete and effects the CNS hard as well. Thus taking away strength for the main lifts... When you add to that lingering injuries you want adress by doing specific accessory movements your training becomes even more lenghty.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear this Roy. You have been plagued by injuries a lot. Yes, regarding the progress, it is hard to find a program that works, but I also think constant progress overall is just to much to ask, most guys who progress do this on one level at a time. And yes, grip is very hard to fit in a regular strength training set up. You don't want to interfere with with recovery on both sides.

I read you did the CPW logo design? Cool! Do you have a T-shirt and if yes, what size do you have? We're both about the same size so I know what to order in time.

I read you did the CPW logo design? Cool! Do you have a T-shirt and if yes, what size do you have? We're both about the same size so I know what to order in time.

Yep did the design. Very pleased with it if I do say so my self. Asked Matt for a T-shirt but I don't think he has printed any yet. For most brands I need xxl, so I think I will ask for that.

I know Royz! At the monent i am to exhausted to do any serious grip training after my normal workouts or even a day later. I belive this is mostly because i progress very fast with the squat and deadlift ( 5 KG every workout ) at the moment. But i can't do this much longer at this rate. I will soon switch to only 2,5 KG.

I have the ebook if you're interested.

I'm no fan of 5-3-1.

I'm no fan of 5-3-1.

Always interested to read stuff about training!

I'm no fan of 5-3-1.

I am also no big fan of the original 5-3-1. But i like some concepts of his ( Jim Wendler ) 4th book "Beyond 5-3-1" and "5-3-1 For Powerlifting". In my opinion 5-3-1 is best used by very advanced lifters. As a beginner or intermediate you can progress much faster with a linear progression system.

If you buy "Practical Programming for Strength Training" make sure to get the 3ed edition.

I'm no fan of 5-3-1.

I am also no big fan of the original 5-3-1. But i like some concepts of his ( Jim Wendler ) 4th book "Beyond 5-3-1" and "5-3-1 For Powerlifting". In my opinion 5-3-1 is best used by very advanced lifters. As a beginner or intermediate you can progress much faster with a linear progression system.

If you buy "Practical Programming for Strength Training" make sure to get the 3ed edition.

July 5th 2015

Well dragged my ass to the gym this morning. Haven't slept well the last couple of days because of the heat over here so energy wasn't great but my gym has airco so that was nice.

Squat

3x5x140kg

Filed Vulcan 20mm blockset

Right 3x15xL9

Left 3x15xL8

Rolling thunder

Up to 1x75kg

Going to give it another shot getting (at least) to 90kg.

Wanted to see what my starting point exactly was. Had to call it at a pitiful 75kg, 10kg under my best.

Seated calf press one leg

5x10x75kg

Blob trainer

10x3x20kg

Standing calf raises

5x10x135kg

Trapbar deadlift high handles

3x5x180kg

July 7th 2015

Overhead press

10x3x70kg

Last two sets where killing.

Right 4x4xL12

Left 4x5xL9

Left wrist was bothering me.

Mounted wristroller 48mm

Forward 3x50kg continues

Backward 3x65kg continues

Dumbbell floor press

up to 3x48kg

Supermans on roman chair

10x10kg/ 10x12kjg/ 10x14kg/ 10x14kg

Rear delt machine

up to 8x55kg

Bicep injury is really bugging me. Didn't really hurt during training, but it feels very stiff and some what painfull now.

Strong pressing still, Roy. Damn injuries, regarding the arm.

july 12th 2015

Squat

up to 5x140kg (belt less)

5x150kg

Right hip flexor really bothering me. Hurts when going down making it hard to get down deep enough.

Filed vulcan 20mm blockset

Right 1xL12/ 1xL13/ 1xL14!/ 0xL15 (near miss)/ 2x negative with L16

Left 1xL10/ 1xL11/ 1xL12/ 0xL13 (near miss)/ negative xL14/ negative xL15

Best I've done on the Vulcan! If I wasn't working with a filed Vulcan I would've gotten Level15! Level 16 seems to be a different beast had a hard time even setting it.

Rolling thunder

10x3x60kg

Leg extensions

up to 10x80kg

Blob trainer

up to 3x22,5kg

Trapbar deadlift

up to 5x190kg

Seem to be getting used a bit too the pre exhaustion from all the other stuff.

Hip flexor seems to be getting worse. I will have to ditch squats and trapbar for a couple of workouts to see if it will heal it self. Bummer.

Bicep however does seem to heal it self, gradually feeling better.

Still strong squats bro. 150kg is a sick weight and a real hurdle for me. Also gripperwise you seem to be in the lift finally! Level 15 is good Roy, and indeed the jump to level 16 is big on the Vulcan.

• Like 1

july 15th 2015

Overhead press

3x70kg/ 3x75kg/ 3x80kg/ 2x82,5/ 8x70kg

Overhead is feeling good at the moment. Maybe some nice PR's in the near future.

Dumbbell bench press

10x3x40kg

Pull downs wide hammer grip

up to 10x100kg

Just testing the bicep. Only on the last set it was a bit uncomfortable, so that's good. Curling however is still a no go.

Dips

up to 8xBW+35kg

Haven't done these for some time. Good to press at a different angle once in a while.

Rear lateral raise, chest on incline bench

3x10x20kg

No grip today. Letting the arms rest a bit. Next time.

Edited by Royz
  • Like 1

Very nice pressing!

What's your body weight, Royz?

Very nice pressing!

What's your body weight, Royz?

Thanks Eric.

It's 105kg/230lb at 193cm. Long way to go to a body weight press....

july 18th 2015

Barbell step ups

up to 6x100kg

Doing these for a while since I can't squat because of my hip injury. These are pain free and I still get some leg work done.

Right 18xL9/ 16xL9/ 16xL9

Left 15xL8/ 16xL8/ 16xL8

Hip thrusts

up to 3x10x110kg

First time ever. I think I'm doing them wrong. Tried to concentrate on fully extending and contracting the glutes, but didn't feel a thing. Either the weight was to heavy or to light.

Rolling thunder

Up to 3x3x70kg

Tibia dorsi flexion using cable machine

up to 15x45kg

Sort of a reverse calf press. My left ankle has been bugging me (ad it to the list). I've been doing a lot of heavy calf presses this year. So maybe work the ankles from a different angle for a couple of times.

Blob trainer

10x3x21kg

Going well.

Supermans

very strict. Up to 8x11kg

July 21st 2015

Dumbbell bench press

up to 3x50kg

Right 6xL12!/ 2xL13!/ 1xL13/ 2xL13

Left 4xL11/ 3xL11/ 4xL11/ 4xL11

First time double on level 13!

Overhead press

10x 3x72,5kg

Very nice!

Mounted wristroller 48mm

forward up to 75kg

Backward up to 90kg

Pull downs wide hammer grip

up to 10x105kg / 18x85kg

Plus some small stuff: rear lateral raises, front levering, light hammer plate curls and regular plate curls.

July 24th 2015

Had a terrible night with my youngest not sleeping (much) for whatever reason. Dragged my ass to the gym nonetheless. This time it turned out as expected and so it was a very bleh session.

Barbell step ups

up to 6x105kg

Filed Vulcan negatives

Right 3xL16

Left 3xL13

Could hardly set these, my hands felt very tired.

Rolling thunder

10x3x62,5kg

Blob trainer

up to 3x22,5kg

Romanian deadlift

up to 8x140kg

Since my hip doesn't allow me to do squatting nor trapbar deadlift at the moment I think I will start conventional deadlifting again. My back has been feeling good the last couple of months. I'm going to use the Jörg approach and just start light and add 5kg to the bar every week for as long as I can. In two weeks I'm having a two week vacation (and deload). Looking forward to that, I really need it.

Edited by Royz

Over here too. Definitely need vacation. Plans?

About your hips, why also not do some...-whispers- ...machines? Legextensions or whatever.

Yeah I sometimes do leg extensions, but I mostly don't log those. Haha.

We didn't have much inspiration so we're doing something that's easy and fun with the kids. A 'Landal park' type thing in 'Drenthe'.