New Camera Suggestions 4/14

anwnate

Hi…I've been putting off a camera purchase for a while. With technology changing so quickly, I'd like to ask for current camera suggestions. I'd like to keep it in the $220 USD or less area. Main use will be for grip related stuff…so looking for something that can film HD and adjust quickly. Additionally any comments on tripods will be appreciated (what to look for). Any help is appreciated…even if it is to stay away from a particular brand etc. Thanks.

• Like 1

Hey Nathaniel,

I'm not really up to date with the current cameras but you should definitely look here http://www.dpreview.com.

Look under buying guide. Very extensive information! You can search for almost any criteria you're looking for.

Hey Nathaniel,

I'm not really up to date with the current cameras but you should definitely look here http://www.dpreview.com.

Look under buying guide. Very extensive information! You can search for almost any criteria you're looking for.

Hey thanks...I'll take a looksee. Appreciated.

This is the one I bought a while back: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HMX-F80-Flash-Memory-Camcorder/dp/B007261BNU

It's been pretty decent, the only thing is i feel like my cell phone takes clearer video lol, but I still prefer the camcorder though.

Edited by Tom Scibelli
  • Like 1

This is the one I bought a while back: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HMX-F80-Flash-Memory-Camcorder/dp/B007261BNU

It's been pretty decent, the only thing is i feel like my cell phone takes clearer video lol, but I still prefer the camcorder though.

thanks tom. I really want to get something that films superclean. The MM judges are going to get a bunch of vids in the future...I'd like them to have an easy time of it.

• Like 3

I know less than anyone I know about technology - mostly I can't even make many things work. But I coach the shot and discus and we have been using an IPOD for filming and reviewing throws technique and it's easy enough I can use it - the screen is big enough to actually be useable - and the quality seems OK for what we use it for. It isn't actually a camera but maybe it's an option. Just a thought.

• Like 1

Most Handycams from Sony film in HD and there are now models who even have an extra light option in the flipping part, so that can be very good for the focussed handle shots.

Only downside is that when you are filming alone you will flip the screen towards you so the light function doesn't work. If you look at my videos and stills, they are made with that cam.

As for stands, there are nowadays these 'flexipods' which you can actually fold around - for instance - a pole of your squatcage. That means you can easily adjust it to the desired height for filming.

I am going to buy one of those sooner or later.

http://www.phototools.co.nz/image/cache/data/slr-zoom-flexipod-4965-675x502.jpg

Hope the link works so you have an idea. They can also just stand upright on their own but you catch my drift.

• Like 1

Most Handycams from Sony film in HD and there are now models who even have an extra light option in the flipping part, so that can be very good for the focussed handle shots.

Only downside is that when you are filming alone you will flip the screen towards you so the light function doesn't work. If you look at my videos and stills, they are made with that cam.

As for stands, there are nowadays these 'flexipods' which you can actually fold around - for instance - a pole of your squatcage. That means you can easily adjust it to the desired height for filming.

Hope the link works so you have an idea. They can also just stand upright on their own but you catch my drift.

I got one of those ' flexipods', they are called gorilla pods. They work great! You can set up your camera almost anywhere and they've got different models for different camera sizes.

• Like 1

I own a Nikon cool pics L310 I purchased a while back for around $80 US on sale. However, I can't recommend it because though it takes good video I don't think the pictures come out very well at all. The camera can't set its shutter speed automatically (effectively) so I end up adjusting the ISO every time I take pictures, and they still come out bad sometimes depending on the sensitivity setting I choose, and whether or not I change it for each application.

• Like 1

I own a Nikon cool pics L310 I purchased a while back for around $80 US on sale. However, I can't recommend it because though it takes good video I don't think the pictures come out very well at all. The camera can't set its shutter speed automatically (effectively) so I end up adjusting the ISO every time I take pictures, and they still come out bad sometimes depending on the sensitivity setting I choose, and whether or not I change it for each application.

Definitely avoid that thanks.

I got one of those ' flexipods', they are called gorilla pods. They work great! You can set up your camera almost anywhere and they've got different models for different camera sizes.

I have owned two variations back when I liked photography a lot... They both broke in time.

If you buy these, be prepared for them to give up, sooner or later. That being said, these are great for weird angles and spaces. Just avoid wrapping them around something with a small diameter.