Time To Bend That Bastard Horseshoe

wulfgeat

Okay, unless you are trying to turn your leg skin into leather, I suggest you wear jeans when you bend horseshoes. I started bending in athletic shorts too, and have bent over twenty horseshoe like that, but I now bend in jeans just to protect myself and cut down on the bruising.

Another thing with this is that jeans give you a much more solid base than athletic shorts. With shorts, the shoe will move around all over the place. When you are wearing jeans, it's a lot easier to lock-in the top of the shoe on the kink.

Jeans is best for any kind of braced bending. I always wore jeans whenever bending shoes or spikes.

• 5 weeks later...

I am still working through the easy shoes. Any tips are welcome. I typically bend at the end of a workout so changing into jeans for a bend or two hasn't happened yet. Let me know if you see somewhere I could make improvements.

Thank you for watching and thank you to everyone who is helping me along.

• Like 1

easiest shoes i have are DC0, cant budge em. we'll call it iso training i guess. Ordering some SCF ultralites today, gotta get rolling here

Looks good guys. I think all the input I would give has already been given. That PL000 is a tough little shoe!! Josh on the sweep put your front leg out further and get that shoe up into your gut so you can use more of your body to sweep and crush.

Chris don't order too many UL. You won't need them. With your size and strength, they wont be much of a challenge to you.

If there is someone that you can get to that bends shoes, travel to them and have them show you & talk with you about it.

Nick, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I hope I am putting your and everyone who has helped me's advice to good use. Onward!

• Like 1

You should come to the get together at Chis Rice's gym on the 13th Josh. I know I will be doing some bending there. Anyone who wants to come is invited. I may try for a big shoe that day depending on how thongs play out.

• Like 1

Go for it Nick. You can definately kill some nasty shoes.

It has been a wile since I have hit anything big Tim. Thinking a DS5 or St. Croix X-tra 5.

I have never done any steel bending and the bending that appeals to me most is horseshoes. Unfortunately, I have no idea what I'm doing and since I have no friends who are interested in this, I've been trying to learn what I can from what people post on the internet.

I was able to buy horseshoes from the local IFA but I am unable to budge them. They're labeled St Croix Forge 0 Lite but they don't all look the same. Some have a channel that runs the length of the shoe while the others don't. Does anyone know if one of these is more difficult to bend than the other? I can provide pics if I'm not being clear.

I'm also assuming the SCF 0 Lite horseshoes are too difficult to bend for someone just starting out? Like I said, I cannot even budge it. Unfortunately, the horseshoes I see most frequently listed as starter shoes, SCF Ultralite or Polo, I cannot find locally. Possibly I won't have what it takes to bend any horseshoe since I never attempted this until later in life (late 40s)?

I have never done any steel bending and the bending that appeals to me most is horseshoes. Unfortunately, I have no idea what I'm doing and since I have no friends who are interested in this, I've been trying to learn what I can from what people post on the internet.
I was able to buy horseshoes from the local IFA but I am unable to budge them. They're labeled St Croix Forge 0 Lite but they don't all look the same. Some have a channel that runs the length of the shoe while the others don't. Does anyone know if one of these is more difficult to bend than the other? I can provide pics if I'm not being clear.
I'm also assuming the SCF 0 Lite horseshoes are too difficult to bend for someone just starting out? Like I said, I cannot even budge it. Unfortunately, the horseshoes I see most frequently listed as starter shoes, SCF Ultralite or Polo, I cannot find locally. Possibly I won't have what it takes to bend any horseshoe since I never attempted this until later in life (late 40s)?

Check out Mike Rinderle"s you tube channel.and if possible buy the hammering horeshoes DVD. you have what it takes buddy its all about learning the technique good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Where would Diamond plain #1 (pl1 - on the shoe)?

I have some by accident and will be trying them if I feel strong. I just want to get an idea for future progressions. I still have a LOT of easy shoes to bend first.

Where would Diamond plain #1 (pl1 - on the shoe)?

I have some by accident and will be trying them if I feel strong. I just want to get an idea for future progressions. I still have a LOT of easy shoes to bend first.

I wouldn't worry about that shoe until you can bend a SCF Lite Rim #1. I bent a Diamond PL 0 sometime after I got to that level, but I strained my left forearm in the extensor area finishing it off (I was using the old style crush with a shoe I kinked on my right side). The kink and the sweep really weren't that bad compared to the SCF shoe though.

The next bend you should worry about (after you bend a bunch of classics) is a Lite Rim #3. I bent a #1 shorlty after that--once you get there, you and I on on the same level :) unless I get some SCF Lite Plain #3's and take them out. . . but that's not gong to happen until my upper body stops feeling like someone beat it with a stick.

Ordered a pair of st Croix lite rim 1, cant wait to try them and get on that top 20 horse shoe benders list! If I bend them first time il be a happy man.

• Like 1

Today I started with a fresh DC1, then picked up the first shoe I had ever bent a DC1 @ 70 degrees or so and finished it off, and then something happened to my tablet and the video was lost. Here is the video of another pre-bent DC1 and SCF Polo1 I managed after.

Thanks for watching and advice is always welcome.

Good work man! One simple tip would be to bend in jeans or workshorts, or something like that. Bending in shorts or sweatpants will have the pad and shoe move all over the place. You can't put force into something you have to balance at the same time. Bending in jeans or something like that will keep everything in place and it'll be SO much easier to really go shitballs crazy and crush the shoe.

• Like 1

Good work Josh! Keep up the bending. I do keep a old pair of shorts in my gym just for bending.:)

My first try at the SCF Lite Plain #3. It isn't done, and I had to use double wraps so I didn't worry about making sure you could see the leg #'s. Whenever I get one under official specifications I will try to be more detail conscious.

post-23490-0-20900600-1410658289_thumb.j

• Like 1

I'm probably wrong, but weren't they 8x18? Small, but deceptively hard for its size!

Edited by David_wigren

I wasn't supposed to bend any shoes today but I got a little encouragement while at work. I wasn't sure what size to get for this shoe and bought a pair of both size 2 & 0. I still feel like I am making tons of mistakes and have lots of shoes to work through. Thanks for taking a look.