Time To Bend That Bastard Horseshoe

wulfgeat

I don't know which shoe that is for you, but I know you've got one: a shoe that sits on your shelf and laughs at you. Well I say it's time: dust off your wraps, get your butt in gear, and get ready to bend the living (bad word filter) out of that little cuss.

My main goal is to work up to, and finish an Kerckhaert SSP 000 18x8. Who's with me?

I invite you all; anyone regardless of their level can post their shoe bending progress here. Whether you are struggling to get your first SCF Ultra Lite Rim #2, or you are trying to break your way into the top five horseshoe benders on "The Top Twenty List," I want to see how you are doing.

I look forward to bending with you,

Carter

I'm gonna bend a Clydesdale horseshoe lol jk.

lol!

All jokes aside, if--after you get your rednail and #3 certifications in the bag, you decide to bend some shoes, you could be extrememly good at it. You are already good at total body lifts and grip training; all you would need to do is some pre-requisite work to get your core ready, and you could be destroying some huge shoes in no time flat. That includes, but is not limited: clydesdale horseshoes ;)

I bet it's fun but something tells me they are kinda expensive?

Im in the last week of KTA now then have a comp on the 26th after that im going to really focus on bending. Im in for this

• Like 1

Can't wait to see some attempts in here!

• Like 1

I bet it's fun but something tells me they are kinda expensive?

Sigh. . .

Yeah. . .

They will clean you out.

I shop around alot just for that reason. Most of the time, I can get the shoes I need for less than 4 dollars a pop (never cheaper than $2 though). Sometimes however, in order to do that, I have to buy a whole box, but obviously, you can't do that with every variety of shoe you buy.

Honestly, the best thing to do is buy a couple of the ones you don't plan to spend too much time with, and lots of the ones you do. That way, you get the ones you will use more at a cheaper price, but you won't have too many useless shoes lying around.

There is almost as much strategy in buying those blasted things as there is in bending them.

What I have done thus far is buy a box of SCF UL rim #2, buy my Diamond Classics and Bronchos from local stores as I need them, buy a box of both SCF lite rim #3 and #1, buy a box of Kerckhaert SSP #3 and a box of #000. I have ordered the other shoes in much less quatities. So I personally have sunk some money into this hobby--but it is worth it to me.

Maybe some other benders have some more cost effective strategies for purchasing shoes?

Hey guys, this is awsome!!!

Now we just wait to see who is the first to post a video. My next bend is going to be sometime next week after my upper back stops yelling at me. I will be attempting a Kerckhaert SSP #3 22x8

Josh (JHenze646) has started us off nicely with a Polo 1 bend well past 180 degrees:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2ObeCUPrd4

Do these ppl think you're like a ranch owner? And do you guys say no I bend them lol

Do these ppl think you're like a ranch owner? And do you guys say no I bend them lol

Take how funny that conversation sounds in your head, and multiply it by 10, and then stir in 27 lbs of awkward.

Needless to say, I have learned to just let them assume that I own horses.

In very rare cases, they can be more helpful, but that's only after they have realized that you don't know a darn thing about horses, and the shoe bending thing suddenly makes your purchase seem legit again.

Good stuff guys! I will have to keep my eye on this thread. At some point down the road may throw my hat in the ring.

• Like 1

In very rare cases, they can be more helpful, but that's only after they have realized that you don't know a darn thing about horses, and the shoe bending thing suddenly makes your purchase seem legit again.
That is hilarious.
  • Like 1

Okay, so I couldn't wait until next week. I tried my SSP #3, and it smoked me. I felt like I had never bent a shoe in my life. Then I tried two SCF lite rim #1 and bent them okay, bent a Diamond Classic #000, and even managed to wobble a Diamond Broncho.

Here is a video of my Lite #1 bend on my left side:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1tBqWRCZVw

Edited by wulfgeat

Nice work! Don't feel bad left side has always been my issue too. I am left side stupid on about everything I do.:)

• Like 1

Nice work! It seems like you are really analyzing things with technique, which IMO, is half the battle. I wouldn't worry too much about the SSP shoes right now. It takes several SSP-only (dedicated) sessions to get a "feel" of placement on the kink. I remember it took me a long time before I could get any movement on the SSP#3, along with a lot of pain and frustration!

• Like 1

Beginner

1. St. Croix Forge Ultralite #2
2. St. Croix Forge Ultralite #1
3. St. Croix Forge Polo #2
4. St. Croix Forge Polo #1
5. St. Croix Forge Polo #0
6. St. Croix Forge Polo #00
7. Diamond Classic 1
8. Diamond Classic 0
9. Diamond Classic 2
10. St. Croix Forge Lite Rim 0

Novice

11. Kerckhaert sx7
12. St croix Lite rim 2
13. Nordic Delux 2
14. St croix lite rim 3
15. Nordic Delux 3
16. St croix lite rim 1
17. Werkman 3
18. Kerckhaert SSP 8×22 #3
19. St croix Lite plain #3

Advanced

20. Kerckhaert SN 8×25 #5
21. Kerckhaert SSP 8×22 #2
22. Diamond bronco PL 000
23. 5/16×7/8 healed
24. Wide sliding plate
25. Kerckhaert SSP 8×22 #1
26. st croix forge regular plain 000
27. Kerckhaert SN 8×25 #3
28. Diamond special 5
29. Kerckhaert SSP 10×22 #5
30. St. croix plain regular #3
31. SSP 8×18 #000
32. SN 8×20 #000
33. Kerckhaert SN 10×22 #3
34. Kerckhaert SSP extra 8×22 #0
35. Unmarked healed shoe 3/8×3/4
36. AB #6
37. Kerckhaert WH 10×28 #6

I pulled this list from another thread. I was using it as a guide for progression and goal setting. I was wondering where do the horseshoes sizes not on this list fall and do they have any merit for bending, i.e. I found 6 sizes of SCF Lite rims for sale but only 4 sizes on this list.

Secondly the leather I have is sub-par. What are some good options?

Thank you and looking forward to everyone's progress/videos.

Josh

• Like 1

Beginner

1. St. Croix Forge Ultralite #2

2. St. Croix Forge Ultralite #1

3. St. Croix Forge Polo #2

4. St. Croix Forge Polo #1

5. St. Croix Forge Polo #0

6. St. Croix Forge Polo #00

7. Diamond Classic 1

8. Diamond Classic 0

9. Diamond Classic 2

10. St. Croix Forge Lite Rim 0

Novice

11. Kerckhaert sx7

12. St croix Lite rim 2

13. Nordic Delux 2

14. St croix lite rim 3

15. Nordic Delux 3

16. St croix lite rim 1

17. Werkman 3

18. Kerckhaert SSP 8×22 #3

19. St croix Lite plain #3

Advanced

20. Kerckhaert SN 8×25 #5

21. Kerckhaert SSP 8×22 #2

22. Diamond bronco PL 000

23. 5/16×7/8 healed

24. Wide sliding plate

25. Kerckhaert SSP 8×22 #1

26. st croix forge regular plain 000

27. Kerckhaert SN 8×25 #3

28. Diamond special 5

29. Kerckhaert SSP 10×22 #5

30. St. croix plain regular #3

31. SSP 8×18 #000

32. SN 8×20 #000

33. Kerckhaert SN 10×22 #3

34. Kerckhaert SSP extra 8×22 #0

35. Unmarked healed shoe 3/8×3/4

36. AB #6

37. Kerckhaert WH 10×28 #6

I pulled this list from another thread. I was using it as a guide for progression and goal setting. I was wondering where do the horseshoes sizes not on this list fall and do they have any merit for bending, i.e. I found 6 sizes of SCF Lite rims for sale but only 4 sizes on this list.

Secondly the leather I have is sub-par. What are some good options?

Thank you and looking forward to everyone's progress/videos.

Josh

4u_ZSiRpz8I.jpg

This is a more recent list that Ivan Beritashvili was kind enought to dig up for me. I'm sure he wouldn't mind me posting it here. He is currently in charge of managing the top twenty list, so if you want to make a submission, make sure you let him know and thank him for his trouble.

As far as some good options for leather: I have heard Adam T. Glass recommend Moose hide, as it is tough and very pliable. I think that any sueded leather made for clothing will work though.

Edited by wulfgeat
  • Like 1

Thought I'd throw in a bend here :grin: :

Diamond Bronco PL000

• Like 2

Diamond Bronco PL000
I stopped at Tractor Supply today and bought some DC1 & DC0. I picked a Bronco PL000 off the shelf. It was slightly bigger than my palm. I have no idea how you bend something that small and I cant wait til I get to that level to be trying them.

In a side note while I was standing there with several shoes in my hand reorganizing the shelf in hopes of finding maybe some DC2's, a lady walks up and fiddles with a few things on the next shelf and blurts out, " I can't believe thar chargin $10 for that." while pointing at a locked case of tools. Then she continues, " I's way cheaper at ..." I missed the last part because of the clanging of the metal I was moving around on the shelf and feeling like I had missed something, I turned towards her. She smiled and looked down at my hands before asking, "What kind of horses you got?" I may have smiled before I said, " I don't know anything about horses. These are for bending." while looking down and making a bending motion over my leg. When I looked back up to her face I had to quickly make sure I did not say something horrible. She looked mortified. I turned and left the isle.

Despite my leg being bruised, I bent some shoes anyway. The bruise is on the side and is the reason I am kind of hesitant with the kinks.

Thanks for watching and if you can advise on anything I could improve, don't hold back.

Diamond Bronco PL000
I stopped at Tractor Supply today and bought some DC1 & DC0. I picked a Bronco PL000 off the shelf. It was slightly bigger than my palm. I have no idea how you bend something that small and I cant wait til I get to that level to be trying them.

In a side note while I was standing there with several shoes in my hand reorganizing the shelf in hopes of finding maybe some DC2's, a lady walks up and fiddles with a few things on the next shelf and blurts out, " I can't believe thar chargin $10 for that." while pointing at a locked case of tools. Then she continues, " I's way cheaper at ..." I missed the last part because of the clanging of the metal I was moving around on the shelf and feeling like I had missed something, I turned towards her. She smiled and looked down at my hands before asking, "What kind of horses you got?" I may have smiled before I said, " I don't know anything about horses. These are for bending." while looking down and making a bending motion over my leg. When I looked back up to her face I had to quickly make sure I did not say something horrible. She looked mortified. I turned and left the isle.

I laughed hysterically.

Despite my leg being bruised, I bent some shoes anyway. The bruise is on the side and is the reason I am kind of hesitant with the kinks.

Thanks for watching and if you can advise on anything I could improve, don't hold back.

Okay, unless you are trying to turn your leg skin into leather, I suggest you wear jeans when you bend horseshoes. I started bending in athletic shorts too, and have bent over twenty horseshoe like that, but I now bend in jeans just to protect myself and cut down on the bruising.

You seem to be using an incredibly traditional style of sweep and crush. There is nothing wrong with that, except that you look like you are straining your shoulders hard for it. I would recommend that you watch Eric Milfeld and David Wigren bend some shoes. They both use a newer style of sweep and crush which are both easier on the shoulders. The only caveat to that is that the newer style is much harder on the obliques. Doing one hand deadlifts with a hold at the top seems to take care of that for me though; I do a version of the front, suitcase, and hack style one arm deadlifts (on both sides of course). Also, I use a farmer's walk handle to eliminate spin.

I use the newer sweep on both sides but have only just figured out the newer crush on my right side.

With the heart, you have to get both legs moving at the same rate, what happened to you is that one leg bent more than the other, and you got a pierced heart--sort of. If you have one leg that is moving more than another, choak up on the one that is moving too much and move out on the one that isn't. That way you hopefully get less leverage on the leg you don't want to move and more on the one you do.

Edited by wulfgeat

LOL Everytime I'm in there, same type of conversation with someone ... same type of look.

Nice job on the DC1! My take from your movements is that you are working way too hard at each stage of the bend. There's nothing wrong with that at all, but once you get your technique dialed-in, the bend will look seamless throughout all transitions (until you get to the mutant shoes!) As mentioned above, there is nothing wrong with this, as part of the fun of shoe bending is "discovering" slight variances in technique and making proper adjustments. But, once you get to a certain level of shoe, your technique must be spot-on, or your risk of injury skyrockets. With the ULs, Polos, and DCs, there is a lot of room for error and discovery, and minimal risk.