The Gripmas Carol 2012

climber511

I think my surface prep was fine - I just needed to squeeze harder :glare: . If my memory serves me right (it seldom does) Kody's best pinch was just a little over 200# when he came down here to work on it. He and I went though everything I have learned in all my studying on 2 HP and he pulled 240# that day. It appears the student has far surpassed the teacher now. Next time I'm having him show me how :grin: . I will also offer lessons now for large sums of money - no guarantee you'll do as well as he did though. :getlost:

That is another thing that I want to recognize Kody for. He has received coaching from people and put the details into action.

• Like 1

That's what I need, 2HP lessons, as my 1HP is still more than 50% of my 2HP.

I will also offer lessons now for large sums of money - no guarantee you'll do as well as he did though. :getlost:

https://docs.google....Z3ZoQVFQcEtHenc

OK – Wilkes and Sinclair – Metzler – Malone scoring is done if I did things right. I only used the total lifted in Grippers – 2 HP – and Axle. Medley and Scale weight hold don’t fit into these very well at all.

Wilkes is from the IPF Wilkes Calculator on their website. It includes a female section.

Sinclair – Metzler – Malone is from the Queensland Weightlifting Association Website calculator. This shows age 30 as 1.00 and gives a factor for ages above 30 but not below. I used 1.00 for all ages below 30 – which probably isn’t accurate but I saw nothing else to work with. Someone Brandon’s age may also get something but I don’t know where to find it. I also don’t know how this works for females.

This has no meaning at all - it was just something I had wanted to do with the results.

Edited by climber511

That's what I need, 2HP lessons, as my 1HP is still more than 50% of my 2HP.

I will also offer lessons now for large sums of money - no guarantee you'll do as well as he did though. :getlost:

Mikael - one of the things I talked to Kody about is finding what works for you to reach that 1 + 1 = 3 concept. Basically this means that say a 100# one hand right and 100# one hand left should equal more than 200# by working the two hands together in a manner that one hand alone cannot do as it has nothing to work in opposition with. Please send extremely obscene amounts of money now hehe!

Wow! Wilkes sure doesn't like Andrew!

Edit: Just noticed the axle. That sucks.

Edited by Shoggoth

First I would like to thank Chris for deciding to have Gripmas another year, this is my third time competing at Gripmas and as always I had a blast. The other competitors are always extremly helpful and encourage everyone to do their best.

My main goal was to officially break the 400lb DOH axle barrier, and I succeded in that mission. To win the contest (by default due to Andrew missing his axle) was the icing on the cake. My grippers felt pretty good, I planned on opening with a low 190's gripper but changed my mind and opened with a 206 gripper, mainly because Paul and Andrew did. I had to try to keep up with the big dogs. I nailed that and decided to go at a GHP9 next, I think it was rated at 212lbs, on the set it just didnt feel right in my hand and I missed the close. Feeling angry of the miss and realizing that Paul and Andrew had both hit the 224lb gripper by the time I was up I knew I had to go at it too. I had a good set and nailed it, I felt like I could have held it shut for 60 seconds my adrenaline was rushing so hard. We all went at a mid 230's gripper for a last attempt but no one was successful. I do want a rematch with that gripper.

Next up was the pinch, not my favorite event (probably because I need to get better at it). I figured I would warm up to 210, see how it felt and go from there. 210 felt really heavy and I remember thinking I wished I called it an attempt. I decided to open with 220 and it felt great, next up 230. When I pulled 230pulled it like a 500lb deadlift for some reason and my hands slipped right off. I remember Chris looking at me and saying "SLOW DOWN"! I knew better, on my second attempt it was no problem. Decided to go 235 on my last attempt but my hands slipped off and I missed it. Kody nailing the world record 270lbs was epic, I got a really cool video I will post when I get my pics uploaded.

The axle went as planned, I opened with 376lbs and got it no problem. Next I pulled 402 and nailed it, so I decided to try 414. I had it close on both attempts but just couldn't manage to lock it out. Was still happy I hit my goal.

The medley was BRUTAL!!! I ended up getting credit for 36 items lifted. The most amazing part was watching Andrew kill the inch with both right and left about 2 minutes into the medley.

Last was the scale weights, they were tough....and painful. I knew I had to beat or come extremly close to Kody's time to beat him and secure the victory. Kody dropped them at 44 seconds. I remember hitting the 30 second mark and wanting to quit, but that wasn't going to happen. I dropped them at 42 seconds and just barely kept my lead and secured my 1st place spot. My first win in a grip competition.

Big thank you's to Nick R. For his help during training the last few weeks, to Chris for his help as always, to Andrew for his help over the last couple months, the loaders/spotters/time keepers. Everyone jumped right in and helped when it was needed to help the show runSmooth, Thank u Thank u!!!!!!

• Like 3

I wrote the above post on the road in the passenger seat on my tablet, sorry it's a little ugly. Lol

Jeez, what an awesome contest ! Everybody did great, and a big congrats to Brad for the win and Kody for a crazy new record !

Depending on his BW, as long as he weighed less than 225, Kody is also the first person to lift 120% of their body weight in 2HP. And if he is around 205 then he would be over 130%. This is incredible compared to what anyone else has done. Guys like Adam Glass and Eric Milfeld were pushing the limits of the body weight lifts around 118%. Kody is a whole new breed of lifter.

• Like 2

Depending on his BW, as long as he weighed less than 225, Kody is also the first person to lift 120% of their body weight in 2HP. And if he is around 205 then he would be over 130%. This is incredible compared to what anyone else has done. Guys like Adam Glass and Eric Milfeld were pushing the limits of the body weight lifts around 118%. Kody is a whole new breed of lifter.

Thanks for that info Matt. That is really cool. I weighed myself before I left the house and I was 199lb. But 3 hours later and a couple coffees I got to Chris' house and ended up weighing in at 204 lb for the contest. A little heavier than I expected. But to be in any sentence with Adam and Eric is cool with me :)